Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Drummer Hal Blaine dies

A place where record store snobs and casual listeners can unite as one! Discuss latest releases, all-time favorites, and deep cuts.
matt1

Drummer Hal Blaine dies

Post by matt1 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:37 pm

Drummer Hal Blaine has died at 90 years old. He worked with The Beach Boys, The Carpenters, the late John Denver, The 5th Dimension, The Monkees & The Partridge Family to name a few. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hal_Blaine

Lester The Nightfly

Re: Drummer Hal Blaine dies

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:46 pm

Yup. Blaine had his fingerprints on just about any recording that came out in the 60's & 70's. An astounding body of work. The stat that knocked me out was being drummer of record on 6 consecutive Grammy "Record of the Year". IIRC, after missing one year he followed up with two more consecutive wins.

A legend.

FET-500

Post by FET-500 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:49 am

Hal was replaced by digital audio workstations.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:17 pm

Diana Ross 1976 song "Theme From Mahogany" (Do You Know Where You're Going To)" was the last # 1 on the Billboard Charts for the late Hal Blaine back on January 24, 1976. The late John Denver album "Autograph" (early 1980) was also the last for Hal playing the drums.

FET-500

Post by FET-500 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:25 am

All of the big, single headed drum kits were a reaction to Hal. Other drummers, and even the industry followed what Hal did.
Everyone appears to get "quantized" now, making guys like Hal much less valuable; there will never be another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0KwNDEwm1Y

Musicrewired

Post by Musicrewired » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:58 pm

Check out "The Wrecking Crew" movie on DVD. It was hours of footage and interviews, both in the film and as extras. Hal's interviewed in there, as well as many others in the Crew. It was fascinating, and I learned a lot about their work. I'm hoping to get the Muscle Shoals documentary next.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:54 am

Musicrewired wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:58 pm
Check out "The Wrecking Crew" movie on DVD. It was hours of footage and interviews, both in the film and as extras. Hal's interviewed in there, as well as many others in the Crew. It was fascinating, and I learned a lot about their work. I'm hoping to get the Muscle Shoals documentary next.
The Muscle Shoals doc was good, but it's kind of a different story in that it chronicles the studio more than it's inhabitants in the same way "Sound City" did. Of the two, "Sound City" is the better film. Maybe I just didn't get warm and fuzzy over Rick Hall, the studio owner. Give him credit where it's due, but I felt a little Col. Tom Parker vibe from him in terms of contribution. When you work with artists the caliber of The Rhythm Section it makes it considerably easier not to produce crap. When the room sounds right for what you're going for and you have an orbit of players nearby to fulfill the vision, of course you'll have Mick Jagger willing to stay at the nearby Holiday Inn in 1969 to capture that. What resulted was more of a delightful crashing of planets which we are all the better for, but it didn't come through business acumen.

That said, all the films are a good watch.

Musicrewired

Post by Musicrewired » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:33 pm

Thanks. I'll add Sound City to the list to check out. I've seen the CD, and hadn't connected that to a actual film, although I'm not sure why.

I think I might have the Funk Brothers movie somewhere, but I haven't organized the collection lately to know what's around. I know I've watched it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic