Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

I hate Classic rock

A place where record store snobs and casual listeners can unite as one! Discuss latest releases, all-time favorites, and deep cuts.
Deleted User 10525

I hate Classic rock

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:45 pm

I am sorting of thinking in terms of the radio format but just the genre in general. At least, what one thinks in terms of it. Anymore, it's just grating to me, so worn out and tired. It's like, meaningless anymore.

How do people listen to this everyday, all day for years on end? At my prior job, that's all we ever had on in the shop. Day in, day out ZZ top, Van Halen, Aerosmith, Eddie Money, Queen :x , Rush :x :x :x (god I hate that voice), Jimi Hendrix, The doors :x and personal favorite Bad Company :x . You get the picture.

I mean it's just boring, Oh... AC/DC "you shook me all night long" Pink Floyd " Hey you" elevator music to me anymore. Ok rant out.

Y M Ionhere

Re: I hate Classic rock

Post by Y M Ionhere » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:50 pm

I like classic rock. I dont like todays classic rock radio. After about the mid-80s, horrible-sounding mechanized drums took over. In the 70s, all the instruments were real, and musicians played them well.I stopped listening for the same reasons you cited. Now I miss it. Im tired of 3 chords, digital processing, and studio trickery. I got tired of hearing Boston every day, but when I hear them, I hear real drums, 3 very skillful guitarists, and warm bass lines from underrated, unsung band members.
Classic rock, in its truest form, is not only the most influential rock, but most diverse. From soft, acoustic or piano rock like James Taylor and Elton John, to hard rock, plus blues-rock or blues influenced rock, and then prog rock and psychedelic rock, plus genre-bending groups like Queen and Led zeppelin, ill argue that 1968-1977 was the most important era of rock and had the highest quality and quantity of overall talent, until 3-chord punk showed that it wasnt neccesarry, and everything started going downhill from there.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:13 pm

The Bear played all Queen on November 2nd to celebrate the release of the movie Bohemian Rhapsody. They played all the usual songs you would hear on radio, but I did hear some Queen songs that never get played on classic rock radio:
Body Language
Dragon Attack
Hammer to Fall
I Want to Break Free
Keep Yourself Alive
One Vision
Radio Ga-Ga
Rock It (Prime Jive) [drummer Roger Taylor (not the one from Duran Duran) sings lead on most of this song]
Seaside Rendezvous
Somebody to Love (with George Michael on vocals from the Freddie Mercury tribute concert)
The Great Pretender (Platters cover, technically Freddie Mercury solo, but does appear on a Queen greatest hits CD)

matt1

Post by matt1 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:58 pm

Since it's debut on April 1, 1999, WHEELZ 104.5 FM (WILZ) in Pinconning, Saginaw & Bay City are playing the same old, same old crappy "Classic Rocks That Really Rocks". They did NOT played a brand new song since Cheap Trick "Long Time Coming" last year!!! They also did NOT play David Gilmour or Roger Waters latest songs whatsoever!!! Back then, they would play a brand new song by a classic artist or group!!

Deleted User 10525

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:04 am

Well.. I think that's where I am going is, it's the same 3 songs and none other. crappy playslists, etc..

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:09 am

I'm with YM up there. I LOVE the classics, even going back into the 50s. Without it, I don't think I would have fallen in love with music the way I did. My folks ran the gambit from Bee Gees and James Taylor to Rush and Black Sabbath. I soaked it all up. But what us music nerds are exposed to in the media is because as time marches on, more and more gets tossed by the wayside to make room for newer stuff. Look, the stations have always played "the hits", but back in 1975, you could afford to go three songs deep on an album because there wasn't as much rock to go around. You could play a whole album side or take a request. But as it moved forward, more music started getting put into rotation. Suddenly, it was Stairway and Freebird ad nauseum. That's the whole point of the "Classic Rock" format. People in 1987 didn't wanna sit through REM or Poison to hear Jethro Tull and vice versa. So they picked the best cuts from the best albums and played those. That's how the whole AOR format started. And some songs and artists do weed themselves out over time.

Plus, think about it this way. The stations have to satisfy the largest group of people at one time possible. So, sure, "Hot Blooded" tests well and satisfies 90% of the audience. But I hate Foreigner. So, why would they risk playing a Foreigner album cut, that few people MIGHT know, and cause me to tune out for longer? Instead of losing one listener, they've lost 50. And who knows if and when they'll come back. Now they're down the dial listening to the guy that IS playing the hits.

Having worked in the classic rock format, I had questions, too. Where did this song go? Why don't we play this artist anymore? At one point, my late father even wanted to be on the focus group that picks the songs lol. But it comes down to testing. Van Halen always scored high. So did AC/DC. So you were gonna hear "Runnin' With the Devil" and "Back in Black" more often. Journey? Power. Zeppelin? Power. But then The Animals tested out. "Ballad of Dwight Frye" tested out. Whereas "Don't Stop Believin'" and "Welcome to the Jungle" tested in. Deep Nazareth album cuts? Nope. The one guy that MIGHT tune in for it is offset by the 99 people that WILL tune out. It comes down to money. We could get into semantics like ownership and deregulations and "flankers" and national playlists. But it all boils down to "people don't know what they like, but they like what they know".

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:26 pm

You got that right Mega. Any PD worth his weight in salt isn't going to program a bunch of "stiffs" just to please .5% of the audience. Listeners want songs they recognize. You want to complain about burnt out songs??? You'd have lost your mind back in the '60's and 70's with Top 40 radio.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:43 pm

WKLT is stale. Nothing personally against Rush, Bad Company, Foghat, Lynyrd Skynard, Pink Floyd, etc... but it's tired and stale format. How about MORE 80's classic rock and less from the 70's to keep things fresh? KLT is very dated IMO.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic