Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The Opera Thread

A place where record store snobs and casual listeners can unite as one! Discuss latest releases, all-time favorites, and deep cuts.
Turkeytop

The Opera Thread

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:13 pm

Don't want to hijack Brian's classical music thread so this one is for Opera

This famous duet by Anna Netrebko and Elina Garanca, the Flower Duet, from Lakm'e is stunning. These two lovelies are definitely not your stereotypical Fat Ladies of the opera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf42IP__ipw

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

sfpcc

Re: The Opera Thread

Post by sfpcc » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:01 pm

Ever since Apocalypse Now came out Wagner's Ride Of The Valkeries could be my favorite piece of opera, (even though since WWII Wagner doesn't have the best reputation.) That's as powerful as any heavy metal.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:48 am

Try as I might, I can't get my 'arms' around opera. My admiration to those who do.

I've watched a fair amount of clips like this; I think I would be miserable and distracted in person.

I'm a fan of everything from soft to classic to acid rock, bluegrass, elevator, oldies, the more 'active' classical selections, and most ballet music like Tchaikovsky. Just have no interest in opera.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

Deleted User 10525

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:49 pm

Same, I mean I see it as a legitimate art form but its not for me.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:00 pm

To be truthful, I've never attended the performance of an opera, and probably never will. But there are certain pieces of operatic music that stand out and can't be ignored.

It's kind of like golf. I'm not a golfer. I have zero interest in the game. Yet, I know guys who will stay indoors on a nice summer day to watch a game of golf on TV. I couldn't imagine a more boring spectator sport. But,that evening, when they show the highlights of the game on TV, I can appreciate a guy making a really difficult shot or perfectly sinking a put.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:22 pm

Most any appreciation of opera begins with a healthy suspension of disbelief.

I'm by no means a fan or aficionado, but my favorite operas are probably R. Strauss' Die Frau ohne Schatten (The Woman Without a Shadow) and Debussy's Pelléas et Mélisande -- the former for the story and the latter for the Impressionist musical stylings. Of course, most everyone likes the tunes in Bizet's Carmen.

I've yet to tackle Wagner's Ring Cycle; it's been sitting on the shelf for about 20 years!

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic