Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Most hated Christmas songs

A place where record store snobs and casual listeners can unite as one! Discuss latest releases, all-time favorites, and deep cuts.
Bobbert

Re: Most hated Christmas songs

Post by Bobbert » Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:44 pm

Extremely jazzy versions of sacred Christmas songs. The original meaning and feeling is completely lost.

Fast-paced medleys. You feel like you're just consuming music, and not really listening to it.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:01 pm

Modern covers of the classics.
They're so infuriating.

Music is my life.

kager

Post by kager » Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:55 pm

Hate + Christmas... "two great tastes that taste great together".

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:37 pm

Hey, don't blame me for Mariah Carey every 45 minutes. I avoid WNIC like the plague during the holidays and I own exactly one Christmas album (Amy Grant's "Home for Christmas"). Otherwise I stream Beautiful Music ("elevator" music if you must) Christmas music via Wisconsin's WEMP. It reminds me of the good old days of WJOI's "Christmas Festival of Music," when having only 36 hours of uninterrupted Christmas music on the 24th and 25th was something special and something worth promoting.
One of the few good things about the iHeart corporate playlist is that "The Christmas Shoes" isn't on it. The only time you'll hear it on WNIC is during the all-request lunch hour.
And quite frankly I find "Do They Know It's Christmas?" a teeny bit racist, with its apparent implication that people in Africa are so ignorant they don't know what day or month it is. Yes, they know what Christmas is because they spent centuries under European colonial rule; if they choose not to celebrate it, let them. It's well-intentioned and I respect the song for what it did for the people of Ethiopia, but I still find it a musical lump of coal. "We Are the World" isn't much better but at least it doesn't insult the people it was intended to help. As far as charity singles go, Northern Lights' Canadian effort, "Tears Are Not Enough," blows both of those out of the water.
I stand by my opinions that those two songs are wretched. Sorry, not sorry.

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:41 pm

"DO THEY KNOW IT'S CHRISTMAS TOIME AT ALL" is the fucking dirt worst besides Mariah and McCartney. at least stuff like "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer", the Chipmunks song, Dominic The Donkey, Jingle Dogs, etc. falls under the "so bad it's good" category.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:33 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:37 pm
Hey, don't blame me for Mariah Carey every 45 minutes. I avoid WNIC like the plague during the holidays and I own exactly one Christmas album (Amy Grant's "Home for Christmas"). Otherwise I stream Beautiful Music ("elevator" music if you must) Christmas music via Wisconsin's WEMP. It reminds me of the good old days of WJOI's "Christmas Festival of Music," when having only 36 hours of uninterrupted Christmas music on the 24th and 25th was something special and something worth promoting.
One of the few good things about the iHeart corporate playlist is that "The Christmas Shoes" isn't on it. The only time you'll hear it on WNIC is during the all-request lunch hour.
And quite frankly I find "Do They Know It's Christmas?" a teeny bit racist, with its apparent implication that people in Africa are so ignorant they don't know what day or month it is. Yes, they know what Christmas is because they spent centuries under European colonial rule; if they choose not to celebrate it, let them. It's well-intentioned and I respect the song for what it did for the people of Ethiopia, but I still find it a musical lump of coal. "We Are the World" isn't much better but at least it doesn't insult the people it was intended to help. As far as charity singles go, Northern Lights' Canadian effort, "Tears Are Not Enough," blows both of those out of the water.
I stand by my opinions that those two songs are wretched. Sorry, not sorry.
It's media portrayal like this that get me in trouble. I interact with a lot of Africans on Facebook and they are extremely offended and confused when I accuse them of living in a hut in the jungle.

Music is my life.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:02 pm

Fucking "Wonderful Christmastime". It oozes annoyance and triggers that primal urge to scratch an itch. When John Lennon died, McCartney should have said "Yeah, I'll hang it up, too".

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Musicrewired

Post by Musicrewired » Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:13 pm

I understand the dislike for "Wonderful Christmastime". For years, I wondered why Paul took that route when he'd also written such classic songs with the Beatles. It sounded like a cheap knock-off in comparison to his much better work.

In the past 10 years or so, though, I stopped wishing it was a better recording and accepted it as a simple Christmas song with a cheerful message. It's light years ahead of "Grandma...", and easily surpasses my nominee for worst Christmas song, Gayla Peevey's "I Want A Hippopotamus For Christmas". Even that song has a good arrangement, but her vocals are irritating, and there's much better ways to spend my time than hearing that.

I'd knock the Mariah Carey neo-classic, but it's not that bad of a song. It just doesn't deserve the status it's recently achieved, and shouldn't be as successful as it's become, not at the expense of better seasonal music.

Then again, when corporate radio calls the shots, the low hanging fruit's always going to be served up way too often.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:29 am

LeAnn Rimes did the "Hippo" remake in 2014: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RQ69Ww ... imes-Topic

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:22 am

As much as I like The Kinks and Ray Davies' brand of observant reportage songwriting, it disturbs me that they'd approach the season with such cynicism in this song, even if it's sung in the first-person:

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Deleted User 15915

Post by Deleted User 15915 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:24 pm

Well... old duke was at the dentist yesterday. Doc found a cavity when he cleaned my teeth, so I got it filled the same day. Too much candy I spect.

Anyhoo, I'm back in that ole chair an brother, I had to deal with listening to all this damn Christmas music. Ain't got nothin against the holiday, had many happy times being a youngin on Christmas but Jesus Christ Of Latter-day saints! I hate me Christmas music.

Worst one is Little Drummer Boy, " Pah rum ah pum pum" and that one, hell I can't remember the name of it but it sounds like Chinese person " Yah Yah uh uh" . Just plum awful.

Told ma wife, I said Earlene don't be playin none of that Christmas crap in the house! Can't stands it.

-Old Duke.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:03 pm

Old Duke wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:24 pm
Well... old duke was at the dentist yesterday. Doc found a cavity when he cleaned my teeth, so I got it filled the same day. Too much candy I spect.

Anyhoo, I'm back in that ole chair an brother, I had to deal with listening to all this damn Christmas music. Ain't got nothin against the holiday, had many happy times being a youngin on Christmas but Jesus Christ Of Latter-day saints! I hate me Christmas music.

Worst one is Little Drummer Boy, " Pah rum ah pum pum" and that one, hell I can't remember the name of it but it sounds like Chinese person " Yah Yah uh uh" . Just plum awful.

Told ma wife, I said Earlene don't be playin none of that Christmas crap in the house! Can't stands it.

-Old Duke.
I hate the little drummer boy.... unless it's Bob Seger's version. That is absolutely amazing.

Music is my life.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:04 pm

stopnswop2 wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:03 pm
Old Duke wrote:

-Old Duke.
I hate the little drummer boy.... unless it's Bob Seger's version. That is absolutely amazing.
My parents always thought Seger's version is Michael Bolton for some reason. At first glance though, they do sound similar.

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:01 pm

I like the smudge meme on Facebook that says " Do you hear what I hear" should be played in mental ward. It shouldn't be funny I know, but it is.

Deleted User 15915

Post by Deleted User 15915 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:29 am

stopnswop2 wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:03 pm
Old Duke wrote:

-Old Duke.
Well... I'll give that one a listen. I'm just happy when the whole hootinanny of the holidays is done diddley done. Countin it down!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic