Acceptable registrations in the queue through July 22, 2022 at 7:15a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Songs attributed to the wrong artist

A place where record store snobs and casual listeners can unite as one! Discuss latest releases, all-time favorites, and deep cuts.
ChrisWL1980
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:36 am

Re: Songs attributed to the wrong artist

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:41 pm

When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought it was referring to songs that were commercially released crediting the wrong artist. Like "The All-American Boy," credited to Bill Parsons but really performed by Bobby Bare. Or Darlene Love and the Blossoms being the actual performers on "He's a Rebel" and "He's Sure the Boy I Love," though in that case it was out of necessity because they were unable to get the real Crystals for the recording session.

Anyway, some songs I mistook for another artist at first listen:

"Rain in the Summertime" by The Alarm - thought it was U2
"Angels" by Robbie Williams - thought it was Bono
"Better Than You" by Lisa Keith - thought it was Amy Grant (compounded by the fact that Lisa's own album, like Amy's "Heart in Motion", was a mix of secular pop and CCM)
"The Way" by Ariana Grande - thought it was Mariah Carey
"Steal the Night" by Stevie Woods - would have probably thought it was Johnny Mathis the first time I heard this on an AT40 rerun, if I didn't know who the artist was
"Lies" by The Knickerbockers - thought it was The Beatles
I also wonder how many people, hearing Lauren Daigle ("You Say") for the first time, wondered if Adele had suddenly made a pivot to singing CCM.

Re: Taylor Dayne soundalikes - Celine Dion sounded A LOT like Taylor on her earlier English-language albums if Taylor had had a French-Canadian accent. "(If There Was) Any Other Way" (her second U.S. single, #35 in 1991) sounds an awful lot like Taylor's #2 hit from 1988-89 "Don't Rush Me."



User avatar
Riff Raff
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:12 am
Location: Temperance Michigan

Re: Songs attributed to the wrong artist

Post by Riff Raff » Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:53 am



I've never heard this before until now, it does sound a little bit like Taylor Dane but it's definitely different enough, where I can tell the difference.



matt1
Posts: 1962
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:53 pm

Re: Songs attributed to the wrong artist

Post by matt1 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:56 am

I also thought that the song "Sideshow" from 1974 was by The Stylistics (Nope it is Blue Magic). I thought that Kool & The Gang did "Always And Forever" back in 1977 BUT it was Heatwave.



radioandtventhusiast
Posts: 698
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:08 pm

Re: Songs attributed to the wrong artist

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:05 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:41 pm
When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought it was referring to songs that were commercially released crediting the wrong artist. Like "The All-American Boy," credited to Bill Parsons but really performed by Bobby Bare. Or Darlene Love and the Blossoms being the actual performers on "He's a Rebel" and "He's Sure the Boy I Love," though in that case it was out of necessity because they were unable to get the real Crystals for the recording session.

Anyway, some songs I mistook for another artist at first listen:

"Rain in the Summertime" by The Alarm - thought it was U2
"Angels" by Robbie Williams - thought it was Bono
"Better Than You" by Lisa Keith - thought it was Amy Grant (compounded by the fact that Lisa's own album, like Amy's "Heart in Motion", was a mix of secular pop and CCM)
"The Way" by Ariana Grande - thought it was Mariah Carey
"Steal the Night" by Stevie Woods - would have probably thought it was Johnny Mathis the first time I heard this on an AT40 rerun, if I didn't know who the artist was
"Lies" by The Knickerbockers - thought it was The Beatles
I also wonder how many people, hearing Lauren Daigle ("You Say") for the first time, wondered if Adele had suddenly made a pivot to singing CCM.

Re: Taylor Dayne soundalikes - Celine Dion sounded A LOT like Taylor on her earlier English-language albums if Taylor had had a French-Canadian accent. "(If There Was) Any Other Way" (her second U.S. single, #35 in 1991) sounds an awful lot like Taylor's #2 hit from 1988-89 "Don't Rush Me."
I thought it was that Adele did "You Say" until I saw the RDS on 101.5 the River.



ChrisWL1980
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:36 am

Re: Songs attributed to the wrong artist

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:36 pm

Riff Raff wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:53 am


I've never heard this before until now, it does sound a little bit like Taylor Dane but it's definitely different enough, where I can tell the difference.
Another song it somewhat resembles, to my ears anyway, is "Cruising for Bruising" by Basia (a minor hit from the spring of 1990, by IIRC the only Polish artist ever to crack the U.S. Top 40).



User avatar
Riff Raff
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:12 am
Location: Temperance Michigan

Re: Songs attributed to the wrong artist

Post by Riff Raff » Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:37 am

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:36 pm
Riff Raff wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:53 am


I've never heard this before until now, it does sound a little bit like Taylor Dane but it's definitely different enough, where I can tell the difference.
Another song it somewhat resembles, to my ears anyway, is "Cruising for Bruising" by Basia (a minor hit from the spring of 1990, by IIRC the only Polish artist ever to crack the U.S. Top 40).
I like Time and tide, New Day for you is nice as well. My mothers side of the family is all Polish heritage actually, so that's good to see.



MotorCityRadioFreak
Posts: 4830
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:26 am
Location: Worn, MI

Re: Songs attributed to the wrong artist

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:34 am

stopnswop2 wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:37 am
Tom Petty - Life is a Highway (actually by Tom Cochrane)
Tom Petty - Runaway Train (actually by Soul Asylum)
ELO - Love is like Oxygen (actually by Sweet)
Boney M. - Hands Up (actually by Ottawan)
The Beatles - Mrs. Robinson (actually by Simon and Garfunkel)
Aqua - Tarzan and Jane (actually by Toybox)
James Taylor - Come Monday (actually by Jimmy Buffet)
Led Zeppelin - Lonely Is The Night (actually by Billy Squier)
Justin Bieber - Bulletproof (actually by La Roux)
Neil Diamond - Rock Me Gently (actually by Andy Kim)
No one could actually think Bieber did Bulletproof. Wow.

I actually thought "Life is a Highway" was done by Bruce Springsteen.


Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.

MotorCityRadioFreak
Posts: 4830
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:26 am
Location: Worn, MI

Re: Songs attributed to the wrong artist

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:46 am

"She's So High(Above Me)" was by Tal Bachman. I thought it was Vertical Horizon because they came out with "(She's) Everything You Want". Both songs were released in 1999.

There are also a bunch of emo songs written by Fall Out Boy, AFI, and Panic at the Disco that I got mixed up regularly back in 2006-07 time period.


Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.

MotorCityRadioFreak
Posts: 4830
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:26 am
Location: Worn, MI

Re: Songs attributed to the wrong artist

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:49 am

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:05 pm
ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:41 pm
When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought it was referring to songs that were commercially released crediting the wrong artist. Like "The All-American Boy," credited to Bill Parsons but really performed by Bobby Bare. Or Darlene Love and the Blossoms being the actual performers on "He's a Rebel" and "He's Sure the Boy I Love," though in that case it was out of necessity because they were unable to get the real Crystals for the recording session.

Anyway, some songs I mistook for another artist at first listen:

"Rain in the Summertime" by The Alarm - thought it was U2
"Angels" by Robbie Williams - thought it was Bono
"Better Than You" by Lisa Keith - thought it was Amy Grant (compounded by the fact that Lisa's own album, like Amy's "Heart in Motion", was a mix of secular pop and CCM)
"The Way" by Ariana Grande - thought it was Mariah Carey
"Steal the Night" by Stevie Woods - would have probably thought it was Johnny Mathis the first time I heard this on an AT40 rerun, if I didn't know who the artist was
"Lies" by The Knickerbockers - thought it was The Beatles
I also wonder how many people, hearing Lauren Daigle ("You Say") for the first time, wondered if Adele had suddenly made a pivot to singing CCM.

Re: Taylor Dayne soundalikes - Celine Dion sounded A LOT like Taylor on her earlier English-language albums if Taylor had had a French-Canadian accent. "(If There Was) Any Other Way" (her second U.S. single, #35 in 1991) sounds an awful lot like Taylor's #2 hit from 1988-89 "Don't Rush Me."
I thought it was that Adele did "You Say" until I saw the RDS on 101.5 the River.
Yes, I did too!


Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.

stopnswop2
Posts: 2909
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:08 pm
Location: Novi, MI
Contact:

Re: Songs attributed to the wrong artist

Post by stopnswop2 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:57 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:34 am
stopnswop2 wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:37 am
Tom Petty - Life is a Highway (actually by Tom Cochrane)
Tom Petty - Runaway Train (actually by Soul Asylum)
ELO - Love is like Oxygen (actually by Sweet)
Boney M. - Hands Up (actually by Ottawan)
The Beatles - Mrs. Robinson (actually by Simon and Garfunkel)
Aqua - Tarzan and Jane (actually by Toybox)
James Taylor - Come Monday (actually by Jimmy Buffet)
Led Zeppelin - Lonely Is The Night (actually by Billy Squier)
Justin Bieber - Bulletproof (actually by La Roux)
Neil Diamond - Rock Me Gently (actually by Andy Kim)
No one could actually think Bieber did Bulletproof. Wow.

I actually thought "Life is a Highway" was done by Bruce Springsteen.
Justin was H***, and La Roux wasn't a household name.


Music is my life.

kager
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:10 pm
Location: GPS lost

Re: Songs attributed to the wrong artist

Post by kager » Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:05 pm

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, then Neil Diamond-wannabee Andy Kim's "Rock Me Gently" from '74 took flattery to a new level, at least when singing the verses leading up to the chorus.

Heck, the dude appears to have even sorta kinda tried to look like Diamond on the record sleeve... :lol

Image


"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

matt1
Posts: 1962
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:53 pm

Re: Songs attributed to the wrong artist

Post by matt1 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:32 pm

Andy Kim's "Fire, Baby I'm On Fire" his last Top 40 song in November of 1974 reminds me of Neil Diamond's "Crunchy Granola Suite" from 1972!!



ChrisWL1980
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:36 am

Re: Songs attributed to the wrong artist

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:51 pm

Riff Raff wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:37 am
I like Time and tide, New Day for you is nice as well. My mothers side of the family is all Polish heritage actually, so that's good to see.
I have her greatest hits CD. "Drunk on Love" was another big song of hers, topping the Dance charts and getting some airtime on Q95 back in the day. She actually did a song in Polish on her 2009 album "It's That Girl Again":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjmmXb-xJVQ



matt1
Posts: 1962
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:53 pm

Re: Songs attributed to the wrong artist

Post by matt1 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:49 am

Was it Basia or was it Swing Out Sister 1987 song "Breakout"?? or "Am I The Same Girl"??



User avatar
tc
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:57 pm

Re: Songs attributed to the wrong artist

Post by tc » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:00 pm

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:01 pm
My father also thought Rock Me Gently was a Neil Diamond song as well.
I can totally see that.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic