Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WUSF Radio Tampa

Hey, some of us like to talk about happenings in other areas of the country, too. Here's the place to do it.
Turkeytop

WUSF Radio Tampa

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:57 pm

WUSF is the radio station of the University of South Florida. For years their format remained unchanged.

NPR programs and news all day. Then, from 9:00 PM to 5:00 AM a program called All Night Jazz, a first rate jazz program. Last February All Night Jazz ceased to be all night. It went from 9:00 PM to midnight. They filled the midnight to 5:00 AM with programs from BBC.

Starting today, Oct 31, The jazz is gone. They are going to a 24 hour News and Talk format. The news and talk programs are excellent. But the absence of All Night Jazz is a real loss for the jazz community. There are no other jazz stations in the Tampa Bay area.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Deleted User 15835

Re: WUSF Radio Tampa

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:23 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:57 pm
WUSF is the radio station of the University of South Florida. For years their format remained unchanged.

NPR programs and news all day. Then, from 9:00 PM to 5:00 AM a program called All Night Jazz, a first rate jazz program. Last February All Night Jazz ceased to be all night. It went from 9:00 PM to midnight. They filled the midnight to 5:00 AM with programs from BBC.

Starting today, Oct 31, The jazz is gone. They are going to a 24 hour News and Talk format. The news and talk programs are excellent. But the absence of All Night Jazz is a real loss for the jazz community. There are no other jazz stations in the Tampa Bay area.
Too bad, I always enjoy traditional jazz music. I'd rather have that then Classical. NPR news is fine in day parts but all day I could do without.

Chrocket87

Post by Chrocket87 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:59 am

My local NPR station, WKSU/Cleveland did the exact same thing earlier this year. More NPR outlets are going to all news/talk (especially in top
50 markets), as from what I understand, it gives them the biggest ratings and donations.

I’m surprised that WGTE/Toledo still runs Classical programming during the vast majority of the weekday hours.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:04 pm

It seems like WGTE is committed to classical and other musical programming. Same with WEMU and WDET.

Toledo has a Jazz station for 12 hours of the day on 88.3 FM. And the Jazz Brunch was a big hit on 101.5 the River until Suzanne Carroll retired 9 years ago.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:20 pm

Jazz fans in Lansing have to make do with just a few hours of Saturday night programming on 90.5 WKAR. Lansing Community College's 89.7 WLNZ once ran a primarily jazz format. Then the college flipped the format to AAA while relegating jazz to the HD2. Now the station's been taken over by Michigan Radio and the HD2 is gone. Areas in the north metro might be able to pick up 89.5 WCMU, which runs jazz from 11pm to 5am nightly (including the long-running Nightside Jazz & Blues program).
Detroit of course has WRCJ from 7pm to 5am nightly. I personally prefer Classical at night when I'm trying to relax, but WKAR has me covered there.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:53 pm

The University also operates WSMR in Sarasota. It is full time classical music. Since the signals of the two stations overlap, it seems unlikely they would make similar changes there.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic