Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Putting a ribbon on a turd in LA

Hey, some of us like to talk about happenings in other areas of the country, too. Here's the place to do it.
thatonedude

Putting a ribbon on a turd in LA

Post by thatonedude » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:53 pm

Audacy has rebranded 97.1 AMP Radio in Los Angeles to "97.1 Now!".

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2071 ... -97-1-now/

Does David Field have a penchant for stupid-ass names? More importantly, do the executives actually believe a rebranding will magically make everything better? KAMP (soon to be KNOU) has been in the shitter for an eternity, and I doubt that will change.

take this job and shove it

Deleted User 15502

Re: Putting a ribbon on a turd in LA

Post by Deleted User 15502 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:50 am

I hate it when stations do this, it's so lame. Apples to oranges, but like 105.5 in Toledo Ohio. Let's keep the same name but change the logo, add some lame morning show. "Oh it's the new Q105" Blah Blah Blah.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:56 pm

100% agree with thatonedude.

I'm sure the name was the brainchild of Michael Martin, whose lineage includes a CHR/Pop station of the same name in San Francisco.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:39 pm

These guys seem to care more about names and call letters than the actual product they put out over the air. Don't even get me started on the campaign over their Alt stations.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:44 pm

From today's OC Register:

Amp is now Now!

There was a time when Amp Radio (KAMP, 97.1 FM) was in striking distance of top-40 leader KIIS-FM (102.7). In the past year or so, however, while KIIS-FM itself has underperformed compared with itself in a historical sense — February had the station tied for 9th with a 3.3 share … a far cry from the dominant position it had for so many years — Amp has just about become irrelevant.

There was a time when even AM music stations totally abandoned music formats when ratings dropped below 2.0. Amp hasn’t been as high as, or even close to a 2.0 share in at least six months, and February had it at 1.2. This is the lowest rating I can recall — correct me if I am wrong — for the station in about five formats and four decades … talk, classic rock, adult contemporary, adult top-40, and even country.

Frankly, that rating surprises me, but perhaps it should not. Top-40 radio isn’t being done right, as shown by even KIIS-FM’s problems, and the lifeblood of the format — young people — are simply not as interested in radio as are you or I. I personally think it can be fixed easily, and have stated how right here in the past.

The main problem with Amp is that it doesn’t set itself apart from KIIS-FM. Musically? Similar. Personalities? Nothing special. Morning show? Syndicated from out of town and generally lackluster (which pains me to say as they truly seem to be a nice group).

So how do you fix the station? Pump up the music mix. Find out what kids and young adults want to hear. Either replace the Morning Mess or work with them to connect with the local audience. Get a vibe going with promotions that the target audience wants, and don’t rely on national contests because your owners are too broke or cheap to do something locally.

What does the management of Amp do? Change the station name.

Same music. Same personalties. Same dull programming and promotions. But now it’s called 97.1 Now!

Yeah, that’ll fix it. Bad on-air IDs always fix bad programming. This has to be a joke.

The new name started on April 15th, so now 97.1 Now! Is “LA’s Party Station.” In a press release, Audacy Regional President Jeff Federman explained, “As more and more Americans receive their COVID-19 vaccine, now is the time for us to safely get back on our feet and get moving with the daily habits we love and miss.

“This rebrand not only embodies the spirit of our return to normalcy but also the dynamic state of today’s music industry and we’re excited to usher in this new era with our consumers. As LA’s party station, our programming will spotlight the biggest stars in music and deliver a fresh listening experience to our audience no matter the time of day.”

I like the sentiment, but seriously, “Now!”? That’s the best they could do?

Richard Wagoner is a San Pedro freelance columnist. Email rwagoner@socalradiowaves.com

The censorship king from out of state.

Deleted User 15502

Post by Deleted User 15502 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:03 am

Bring back KSLX and Tom Leykis.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:42 pm

"L.A.'s Party Station"? That sounds so 1990's Churban. Not to mention it doesn't really fit with the sluggish tempo of today's trap pop (unless your party involves more toking than dancing).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic