Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Temporary, One Day Radio Station Still Going After Eight Years

Hey, some of us like to talk about happenings in other areas of the country, too. Here's the place to do it.
Turkeytop

Temporary, One Day Radio Station Still Going After Eight Years

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:23 pm

This low power signal at 1650 on the AM dial has been transmitting the exact same traffic report continuously to Washington D.C. residents since 2013(!) and no one ever noticed.

"The message, which read off the call sign WQOQ613 and warned listeners to avoid the 14th Street bridges, had been repeating since at least Jan. 21, 2013--the day of former U.S. President Barack Obama's second inauguration."

The Strange Story of DC's Lost AM Radio Station Still Transmitting Inauguration Road Closures From 2013

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthusi ... r-BB1efd19

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

kager

Re: Temporary, One Day Radio Station Still Going After Eight Years

Post by kager » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:12 am

Interesting.

I suppose if it was looping an 8 year old weather forecast, DC WX Geeks would have found and demanded it be updated or crushed after 72 hours...

If it had been a Sandy Wood Stardate (which IMO hasn't been as good since she left the show) episode, though, it would probably still be on.
Because the location of the transmitter wasn't documented, Bill needed to organize an effort to locate it. His team set off with a Radio Direction Finder (RDF), a device with a unidirectional antenna meant to help find the source of a radio signal, and began the hunt. And by the following afternoon, the signal finally stopped broadcasting across the D.C. airwaves.
And that's IT? You're joking...

You mean to tell me the author isn't digging further to complete the circle? To find and divulge the answers as to where it was found, how it was still powered up, and why?!? Just, 'we may never know', eh?

Well, that's just great.

Thanks for posting, TT.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

paul8539

Re: Temporary, One Day Radio Station Still Going After Eight Years

Post by paul8539 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:18 pm

Where was the transmitter? Capitol Hill? The White House? FCC Headquarters?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic