Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WFME New York Going Silent

Hey, some of us like to talk about happenings in other areas of the country, too. Here's the place to do it.
Turkeytop

WFME New York Going Silent

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:51 pm

In 2015, struggling Family Radio took to the air in New York on 1560 KHZ the old WQXR.

They have announced that as of Feb 12 they will cease broadcasting. They have sold the land on which their towers are located for $50 M.

They say they will not yet surrender their license, but put their transmitter in storage until they can relocate their antennas.

I doubt very much if they'll be back. I expect that for New Yorkers, WFME will only be available online.

https://www.rbr.com/family-radios-nyc-a ... -the-move/

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Robert Faygo

Re: WFME New York Going Silent

Post by Robert Faygo » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:17 pm

Wow, one of the original 50,000 watt powerhouse AM stations in NYC. Despite being on 1560, they were always easy to pick up at night here in Michigan.

Not a bad financial windfall, selling the land for $50M about seven years after spending $13M to buy the station.

Seems like investing in new physical facilities would be a colossal waste of that profit.

Wellllll... la de frickin da

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:25 pm

They rely on listener donations and a lot of that dried up after their failed End of The World prediction in 2011.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:42 pm

Robert Faygo wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:17 pm
Wow, one of the original 50,000 watt powerhouse AM stations in NYC. Despite being on 1560, they were always easy to pick up at night here in Michigan.

Not a bad financial windfall, selling the land for $50M about seven years after spending $13M to buy the station.

Seems like investing in new physical facilities would be a colossal waste of that profit.
Bummer. I had fond memories of listening to WQXR on my Sony SRF-A100 - an AM stereo station using the Kahn system. Nice and strong in the evening, but weaker later at night (protecting a station out west).

On some nights, the signal sounded like I was listening to fine classical music from seventh row, center.

However, on some nights, it came with Larry King interviewing a guest in second row, center (a weak DA station in Kentucky co-channel).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic