Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Network television ratings IN THE TOILET

Hey, some of us like to talk about happenings in other areas of the country, too. Here's the place to do it.
bmw

Network television ratings IN THE TOILET

Post by bmw » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:33 am

OUCH!

NBC - 6.14 million total viewers (down 26 percent from last year)
FOX - 5.32 million total viewers (down 30 percent from last year)
CBS - 5.19 million total viewers (down 36 percent from last year)
ABC - 5.11 million total viewers (down 10 percent from last year)

https://www.thewrap.com/fall-tv-ratings ... s-fox-abc/

That is a significant decline in just one year - do doubt, due in-part to lack of production of new shows during Covid. Question is, to what extent do they recover, if any?

How many more years before OTA/cable/satellite television become mostly irrelevant?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Network television ratings IN THE TOILET

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:04 am

I watch almost nothing in prime time on the "Big Four" these days. Family Guy and sometimes the Simpsons...that's about it.

I've got little use for talent & singing competitions, recycled game shows (with nauseatingly excited contestants in the case of the shows found on ABC) and reality shows.

I tried watching "The Weakest Link" on NBC a few weeks ago. AWFUL. The original series hosted by that angry British lady was merely okay. The reboot is simply awful.

A return to scripted series involving professional actors would be nice.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:21 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:04 am
I watch almost nothing in prime time on the "Big Four" these days. Family Guy and sometimes the Simpsons...that's about it.

I've got little use for talent & singing competitions, recycled game shows (with nauseatingly excited contestants in the case of the shows found on ABC) and reality shows.

I tried watching "The Weakest Link" on NBC a few weeks ago. AWFUL. The original series hosted by that angry British lady was merely okay. The reboot is simply awful.

The Weakest Link was a decent show back in the day. Anne Robinson and her meanness was the biggest draw. The Original show was a big fad that declined later on in 2001, which was the year it debuted.

The new version is OK in my opinion. Jane Lynch is decent. I don't care for some of the rule changes, and the camera work, was very jerky, at least on the first episode. I suspect the reboot will likely be short-lived.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:16 pm

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:21 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:04 am

The Weakest Link was a decent show back in the day. Anne Robinson and her meanness was the biggest draw. The Original show was a big fad that declined later on in 2001, which was the year it debuted.

The new version is OK in my opinion. Jane Lynch is decent. I don't care for some of the rule changes, and the camera work, was very jerky, at least on the first episode. I suspect the reboot will likely be short-lived.
That version was a disaster. Contestants who answered quiz corrections correctly were voted off the stage by the weaker contestants.

The weaker, surviving contestants battled in the end for bus fare money.

My least favorite show of all time.

The current version rewards intelligence.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:07 pm

I also liked the daytime syndicated version, which was hosted by George Gray (now Drew Carey's announcer on TPIR) and debuted shortly after the Anne Robinson NBC version ended -- that lasted only about a season. George's version seemed more "fun" than Anne's.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:06 pm

rugratsonline wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:07 pm
I also liked the daytime syndicated version, which was hosted by George Gray (now Drew Carey's announcer on TPIR) and debuted shortly after the Anne Robinson NBC version ended -- that lasted only about a season. George's version seemed more "fun" than Anne's.
George's schtick was more sarcasm compared to Anne's meanness.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:35 pm

One I would like to see back: Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader. Have our governor be one of the first contestants.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:28 am

5th Grader was a great show, and Foxworthy was the perfect host for that format. It was one of the prime-time game shows I really enjoyed. ABC's reboot of Match Game was a disappointment. Mostly just lewd material. It lacked the creative subtlety of the 70's version (Dick DeBartolo was a writing genius).

The new Fox game show Cherries Wild, a play on the old Joker's Wild, looks really fake. Audience shots look like generic b-roll, as if they're not in-studio, and I think they're using an "audience track" instead of a live response. Contestants look a little too coached, and the host (can't remember his name off the bat) comes across very hokey. The whole thing just seems fabricated. I don't give it long.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:15 pm

Calvert DeForest wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:28 am
The new Fox game show Cherries Wild, a play on the old Joker's Wild, looks really fake. Audience shots look like generic b-roll, as if they're not in-studio, and I think they're using an "audience track" instead of a live response. Contestants look a little too coached, and the host (can't remember his name off the bat) comes across very hokey. The whole thing just seems fabricated. I don't give it long.
Considering that The Price Is Right and Let's Make a Deal are soldiering on without an audience -- real or fake, or having a virtual audience watching on the internet (I believe Wheel and Jeopardy are using such audiences), pretending to have an audience does not work well for game shows, where they are expected to have a spontaneous reaction from those watching it live as it happens.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:25 pm

I watched the first two episodes of Cherries Wild. It's just mid-season filler. Jason Biggs is a decent host. I agree that the contestants are likely coached. The show in a way, is a big promotion for Pepsi. Quite a few modern shows have the coaching thing too. The disclaimer at the end is lengthy, leading people to wonder if it's rigged. The slot machine is fake too.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:12 am

I don't watch much on network TV, and little on those network stations that is local programming. I watch 11 only to get the WX for a couple of days.... and that's lately become 11 (cannot stand the new entitled guy on 13 in the morning or at noon). I only started to watch 1 network program total. The rest is syndicated or streamed.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic