Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Amp Radio In Boston Goes Big

Hey, some of us like to talk about happenings in other areas of the country, too. Here's the place to do it.
Deleted User 15299

Amp Radio In Boston Goes Big

Post by Deleted User 15299 » Thu May 28, 2020 10:31 pm

Last edited by Deleted User 15299 on Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Amp Radio In Boston Goes Big

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat May 30, 2020 6:45 am

Good move.

103.3 Amp Radio was a ratings disgrace.

Deleted User 15342

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Sat May 30, 2020 8:48 am

Just about all Amp stations sucked.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:30 pm

From what I have noticed, L.A. and even Detroit, that all AMP Radios became more Urban, like 96.3 was in the early to mid 90's. Then DRQ went from LGBT Dance to Hip Hop/Urban, then country. notice none of those stations are around today, as they were... with exception to 97-1 Amp (KAMP). If they iept it as an upbeat version of New 102-7, it might have a chance, as most people do not like hip hop/urban. However, urban fares allot better.

Deleted User 15342

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:58 pm

107.5 should do some type of upbeat dance format and get away from the trash that’s currently on there now.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:56 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 6:45 am
Good move.

103.3 Amp Radio was a ratings disgrace.
In their last full book, they were losing to WXLO from Worcester and WXKS-AM (a mostly (if not entirely) syndicated AM with no translator) and was tied with WGIR from Manchester, NH

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:00 pm

TeddyBear wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:30 pm
From what I have noticed, L.A. and even Detroit, that all AMP Radios became more Urban, like 96.3 was in the early to mid 90's. Then DRQ went from LGBT Dance to Hip Hop/Urban, then country. notice none of those stations are around today, as they were... with exception to 97-1 Amp (KAMP). If they iept it as an upbeat version of New 102-7, it might have a chance, as most people do not like hip hop/urban. However, urban fares allot better.
"Most people do not like hip hop/urban"? On what do you base that statement? Over half of the Top 10 on the Billboard Hot 100 at the moment is hip hop/urban-oriented (including two records featuring Drake and two featuring Roddy Ricch), not counting artists like Doja Cat and The Weeknd that do both pop and hip-hop. Hot AC and even a few Mainstream AC stations are playing Lizzo. I'd say hip hop/urban draws more than pure pop.

And regarding the history of WDRQ: its period as an "urban" station was in the early '80s. DRQ was never "hip hop/urban" in the late '90s. It was a dance/pop friendly rhythmic CHR that evolved into mainstream CHR. A "hip hop/urban" station wouldn't have played Cher, Shania Twain and the Goo Goo Dolls. Also, it went to Doug FM before it was country.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:54 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:00 pm
TeddyBear wrote:
"Most people do not like hip hop/urban"? On what do you base that statement? Over half of the Top 10 on the Billboard Hot 100 at the moment is hip hop/urban-oriented (including two records featuring Drake and two featuring Roddy Ricch), not counting artists like Doja Cat and The Weeknd that do both pop and hip-hop. Hot AC and even a few Mainstream AC stations are playing Lizzo. I'd say hip hop/urban draws more than pure pop.

And regarding the history of WDRQ: its period as an "urban" station was in the early '80s. DRQ was never "hip hop/urban" in the late '90s. It was a dance/pop friendly rhythmic CHR that evolved into mainstream CHR. A "hip hop/urban" station wouldn't have played Cher, Shania Twain and the Goo Goo Dolls. Also, it went to Doug FM before it was country.
In 1999, DRQ was hip hop. Might check with Jay Powers on that one. That same time, I tuned in "Energy 92" instead. Then went to Q96-9. Trust me, I know what I was doing, who my partner was and him telling me that he wished I never turned on DRQ. I do remember "Doug," bit did not put it in the post. Sue me!

Country stations being #1, over hip hop is what I base my thinking on. Neilson Ratings. Just because the format pushes hip hop on everyone, DOES NOT MAKE IT POPULAR. You know, just like me, that the public does not control CHR, Hot AC or "Modern" as you call it (us pro's call it AAA), music selections. They never had. The public decides the playlist, via tune out. How many hip hop verses country stations are number 1. Probably not as many.

Get some facts, then get a grip sweetie!

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:09 pm

Lucky615 wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:58 pm
107.5 should do some type of upbeat dance format and get away from the trash that’s currently on there now.
They add some EDM in with the Saturday night dance mix.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:19 pm

In 1999, DRQ was hip hop.
Wrong. The station had just transitioned to CHR/Pop.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:47 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:19 pm
In 1999, DRQ was hip hop.
Wrong. The station had just transitioned to CHR/Pop.
No, they were hip hop. Ghetto music. Competing with 107.5 and 105.9. I remember clearly. I might be a year or 2 early on the 1999 date. But energy stopped being CHR/D in 2010. Q96.9 started around 2000, 2001.

Me and my partner hated DRQ. But if the date is the argument, fine. They may have shown CHR, but it was Hip-Hop and definitely not Rhythmic, as the dance songs disappeared, just like Lisa Lisa did.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:54 pm

TeddyBear wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:54 pm
ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:00 pm
TeddyBear wrote:

In 1999, DRQ was hip hop. Might check with Jay Powers on that one. That same time, I tuned in "Energy 92" instead. Then went to Q96-9. Trust me, I know what I was doing, who my partner was and him telling me that he wished I never turned on DRQ. I do remember "Doug," bit did not put it in the post. Sue me!

Country stations being #1, over hip hop is what I base my thinking on. Neilson Ratings. Just because the format pushes hip hop on everyone, DOES NOT MAKE IT POPULAR. You know, just like me, that the public does not control CHR, Hot AC or "Modern" as you call it (us pro's call it AAA), music selections. They never had. The public decides the playlist, via tune out. How many hip hop verses country stations are number 1. Probably not as many.

Get some facts, then get a grip sweetie!
So Cher, the Backstreet Boys, Shania Twain and Third Eye Blind, all of whom were played on DRQ in 1999, were so-called "ghetto music"? Wow. You learn something new every day. You might want to check past Radio & Records issues on WorldRadioHistory.com and take a look at their playlists (all BDS monitored, so they were an accurate representation of what the station was playing). Even as a "dance music" leaning outlet in 1997-98 they were playing Paula Cole, Loreena McKennitt and Celine Dion. Yep, sounds like hard-core hip-hop to me.

Incidentally, the Billboard Hot 100 tracks more than radio airplay. It takes into account downloads, streams, and all other kinds of methods of music consumption. Trust me, no one is placing a gun to someone's head forcing them to download or stream "Savage" or "Toosie Slide." I don't like a lot of that stuff myself - my taste in music runs more to AC and Oldies. But only a delusional person would claim it's not popular.

As for country stations being #1 over hip-hop... you cannot make a blanket statement like that and expect it to apply to every market. In Detroit, an adult R&B station (Mix 92.3) is #1 and its hip-hop sister station (WJLB) is #5. Both stations outrate both WYCD and WDRQ in the beauty-pageant numbers. All three hip-hop stations combined rate a 10.3 compared to 8.3 for both pop-country stations combined. A big reason there aren't more hip-hop stations outside of heavily African-American markets like Detroit or Chicago is that it's a difficult format to sell. In medium markets, hip-hop sometimes has to take the form of "rhythmic CHR" to survive. But that doesn't mean the music itself isn't popular. Again, those who like it can find it other places than the radio.

And in case you haven't noticed, it's country music that has been taking a lot of its cues from hip-hop lately - NOT the other way around. At times when I'm DXing I can't tell at first whether it's a country station or a hip-hop (or CHR) station I'm hearing, because of the prevalence of clap/snap tracks in both genres.
Last edited by ChrisWL1980 on Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:34 pm

Obviously Chris, you come here to be a troll. Enough of your drama. You sound soooo gay!

Outkast was THE top group, when DRQ flipped. Not just 1 song. Now, if the date was wrong Chris, suck it up like a man.

And if I remember, Shania Twain was not hip hop. You are clearly twisting words to fit your wants., because you want to be offended. Clear as the sky is blue. Go smoke another joint!

As for Gay 100, they are not the only country station that leads in ratings, over Hip hop. Check your facts.

Yes country has a swing beat, but that's not hip hop. That was not what aired when it changed, before Doug FM. They did not go from playing Nikki French to Doug FM. They aired hip hop. So "sweetie," do your research. Oh, these ARE THE PUBLIC ratings darling. You see more in house, which is never meant to be public, like TSL. Unless you have permission to show those in house ratings books, you cannot prove shit! I go be 6+ public ratings... various markets.

Also, you seem to have confused some of what CHR/D and CHR are. Yes, I even remember a jingle TOH, that was only on for 2 weeks. "Movin' the Motor City, Like Detroit moves the world. This is WDRQ Detroit..... DRQ Detrooooiiiit!"
Last edited by Deleted User 15062 on Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:43 pm

No, they were hip hop. Ghetto music. Competing with 107.5 and 105.9. I remember clearly. I might be a year or 2 early on the 1999 date. But energy stopped being CHR/D in 2010. Q96.9 started around 2000, 2001.
Your memory is lousy, evidently.

107.5 was an eclectic Urban AC / Urban Oldies station at the time with a much smaller, much older, and far more African American audience than WDRQ. 107.5 also had an embarrassingly terrible sounding audio chain back then, and the transmission plant was in some level of disrepair.

Chris hit the nail squarely on the head.

I listened to WDRQ all the time from late 1999 through 2000 and 2001. The station didn't start to lean CHUrban with its music selection until maybe 2002. Once they made that move, musically speaking, they were positioned between 95.5 on the one hand and 97.9/105.9 on the other hand. Some of 93.1's air talent did not fit well with that style of music.

When Steve Kosblau was relocated from DC to Detroit to become market manager for 93.1 & 96.3, he swung WDRQ in a very vanilla direction (95.5 had recently rebranded as "Channel 9-5-5" and had built a sizable lead in key demo categories). This occurred in either 2003 or 2004. The strategy ultimately failed, and the plug was pulled on DRQ after several consecutive ratings books in the 2's (age 12+ AQH share) and disappointing A18-34 and female demo numbers.

93.1 became Doug FM on April 1, 2005.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:45 pm

A couple months back, I heard on 107.5 a mega mix program with EDM AND hip hip.

As for Chris....being a drama fag is not cool. He could have worded things better.

Ok.... 2002. I was off.

I kept hearing outkast everytime I switched it on. I kept hearing rap. I hated it! I wanted CHR/D or CHR. Not hip hop, like 96.3 was... Pre-Planet.
Last edited by Deleted User 15062 on Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic