Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Amp Radio In Boston Goes Big

Hey, some of us like to talk about happenings in other areas of the country, too. Here's the place to do it.
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Amp Radio In Boston Goes Big

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:48 pm

OK. What does that have to do with the style of music the station played in the late 90's & early 00's?

ChrisWL1980

Re: Amp Radio In Boston Goes Big

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:32 pm

TeddyBear wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:34 pm
Obviously Chris, you come here to be a troll. Enough of your drama. You sound soooo gay!

Outkast was THE top group, when DRQ flipped. Not just 1 song. Now, if the date was wrong Chris, suck it up like a man.

And if I remember, Shania Twain was not hip hop. You are clearly twisting words to fit your wants., because you want to be offended. Clear as the sky is blue. Go smoke another joint!

As for Gay 100, they are not the only country station that leads in ratings, over Hip hop. Check your facts.

Yes country has a swing beat, but that's not hip hop. That was not what aired when it changed, before Doug FM. They did not go from playing Nikki French to Doug FM. They aired hip hop. So "sweetie," do your research. Oh, these ARE THE PUBLIC ratings darling. You see more in house, which is never meant to be public, like TSL. Unless you have permission to show those in house ratings books, you cannot prove shit! I go be 6+ public ratings... various markets.

Also, you seem to have confused some of what CHR/D and CHR are. Yes, I even remember a jingle TOH, that was only on for 2 weeks. "Movin' the Motor City, Like Detroit moves the world. This is WDRQ Detroit..... DRQ Detrooooiiiit!"
The most successful popular music stations in Detroit ever since CKLW in the late '60s and early '70s are the ones who presented a mix of the bigger, more mainstream-friendly urban/R&B hits (including many that didn't cross over to other pop stations) and realized that they could attract both white and black listeners by doing so. WHYT did it in the late '80s and very early '90s prior to the "96.3 Jamz" era that preceded Planet (your memory of that era is correct in that they were almost all Hip-Hop with only a few token dance tracks mixed in; they would have been classified as a Rhythmic CHR reporter if R&R had such a chart then). DRQ did it for the first few years of the '00s before reverting to the milquetoast/vanilla CHR mix they had for maybe the last year prior to Doug FM. Channel 955 is doing it now. All are or were very successful. Their music mix is/was Top 40/Pop for Detroit. They were/are just responding to the makeup of the market, which means they sound more Urban than a Top 40 station in, say, Traverse City would.

I was not trying to create drama as you accuse me of. What I was trying to do with my initial reply was point out that the statement you made was erroneous on several fronts. One, that WDRQ was an "Urban" station from 1996 to 2005, and two, that hip-hop music is unpopular. Perhaps I could have worded my reply a bit better. If that offended you, I do apologize. It was not my intention to create drama or to be a bully. However, you were the one who reacted with personal attacks and name-calling, including the homophobic slur you just threw my way. Whatever, I'm willing to put a period on it and move on. You are correct about my sexual orientation, of which I am unashamed.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic