Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WCCO Drops CBS Newscasts

Hey, some of us like to talk about happenings in other areas of the country, too. Here's the place to do it.
SolarMax

WCCO Drops CBS Newscasts

Post by SolarMax » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:12 pm

From NorthPine.com:

Longtime CBS Radio affiliate WCCO/830 (Minneapolis) has dropped hourly CBS newscasts but continues to be an affiliate of the network.

The News/Talk station, which has Minnesota’s largest commercial radio newsroom, had already exited the hourly national newscast at :03 past to begin local news. Now, the locally-produced newscast begins at the top of the hour and may include national content from CBS.

The practice is common among major market News/Talk stations.

WCCO has been a CBS affiliate since 1932. It was owned by the network for two separate stretches and is now owned by Entercom.

I must have heard one of the last TOH "CBS Radio News On the Hour" casts last night, as I happened to tune by 830. Sure hope Entercom is not contemplating something similar at WWJ.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: WCCO Drops CBS Newscasts

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:18 pm

Don't be surprised if CBS News reappears on a Hubbard-owned station in the Minneapolis market; Hubbard in Washington, D.C. just brought back CBS newscasts at the top of the hour.

I love hearing CBS's top of hour newscasts on 950 WWJ in Detroit. I will scream VERY LOUDLY if Entercom ditches those newscasts locally!

JGP1954

Post by JGP1954 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:38 pm

Back in the day, WJR was Detroit's long time CBS affiliate until about 1976. They used to air their own newscasts throughout the day, except for key hours, like 8am, 6pm, &pm, etc., and air CBS in the other dayparts. WJR was never a CBS O & O, but a key affiliate. CBS personnel would make regular appearances on WJR programs.

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:57 am

1976....was that about the time long time NBC affiliate WFDF in Flint switched to CBS?

JGP1954

Post by JGP1954 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:46 pm

That's right, WJR and WWJ switched networks. WJR picked up NBC, and WWJ signed with CBS.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:32 pm

Longtime listeners may remember when WJR dropped out of the CBS network for a few years from about 1959 to late 1962 or early '63, due to dissatisfaction with the network's Program Consolidation Plan. During that time, 1310 WKMH (predecessor of WKNR) picked up the CBS affiliation, as did a number of smaller stations across the WJR clear-channel coverage area to fill in the gaps (i.e. WABJ in Adrian, WHLS in Port Huron, WKMF in Flint and WKHM in Jackson which were both owned by the Knorrs along with WKMH, etc.).
WJR wasn't the only station to dump CBS for the same reason - I believe WHAS in Louisville did it as well though they later picked up ABC. I believe WHAS eventually also reaffiliated with CBS - not sure of the date, but I'm pretty sure they had by the time of the tornado outbreak in '74.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:37 pm

I would not be shocked to hear Radio.com newscasts, as it is the same company. Kinda like Cumulus attempts to do on their talk stations.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:21 pm

JGP1954 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:38 pm
Back in the day, WJR was Detroit's long time CBS affiliate until about 1976. They used to air their own newscasts throughout the day, except for key hours, like 8am, 6pm, &pm, etc., and air CBS in the other dayparts. WJR was never a CBS O & O, but a key affiliate. CBS personnel would make regular appearances on WJR programs.
I had thought that WWJ was NBC-Red. I remember listening to radio dramas on a crystal set I had built. They had a "Children's Radio Theater" one night a week in the early 1970s.

Of course, once WWJ switched to the all-news format (1976 or 1977?), the radio plays had to go.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:20 pm

innate-in-you wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:21 pm
JGP1954 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:38 pm
I had thought that WWJ was NBC-Red. I remember listening to radio dramas on a crystal set I had built. They had a "Children's Radio Theater" one night a week in the early 1970s.

Of course, once WWJ switched to the all-news format (1976 or 1977?), the radio plays had to go.
I don't remember the span of years, but WWJ used to break from News from 12-1 am to run the "CBS Radio Mystery Theatre" with E.G. Marshall. After CBS shut that down, the station ran "When Radio Was," a sponsored hour (by Radio Spirits) of Old Time, nostalgia radio shows and serials. For a while Stan Freberg hosted it. That one has also been gone from WWJ for years, although it can be heard nightly at 1 AM ET on 780 WBBM Chicago. Still like those "Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar" stories!

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:04 am

I don't see Entercom (now branded as Audacy) dropping CBS Network newscasts from their All-News outlets. WCCO is primarily a Talk station. Although I haven't listened since the change, I would guess that dropping the network news and incorporating national stories in the local TOH newscast has shortened the block, waiving more time for Talk content.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic