All accepted registrations through July 14 at 7:30a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective June 9, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=30571

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

PBS Channel Tampa Bay to Go Dark

Hey, some of us like to talk about happenings in other areas of the country, too. Here's the place to do it.
Turkeytop

PBS Channel Tampa Bay to Go Dark

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:22 pm

It's all about greed, of course. They decided to sell off their license to the highest bidder. Will the loyal viewers, who have supported them financially over the years get a payout from the $18.7 M proceeds from the sale? Don't count on it.
WUSF TV License Sold; Station Will End Operations

The University of South Florida has sold WUSF Television as part of the Federal Communication Commissions's spectrum auction.

The license for the station was sold for $18.7 million. As part of its Broadcast Incentive Auction, the federal government is buying signals from broadcasters around the country to sell to wireless network providers.

WUSF TV will go off the air at a date still to be decided. The FCC will not distribute proceeds from the auction until the entire auction is complete. USF will have up to six months after receiving the proceeds to shut down WUSF TV's broadcast operations.

WUSF 89.7 and WSMR Radio will not be affected by this sale. A number of WUSF TV and WUSF Public Media employees will be laid off.

The decision to sell WUSF TV was made by USF executives, including the Board of Trustees. USF holds the licenses of WUSF Public Media.

Lara Wade, USF Director of Media/Public Affairs, said the university is seeking support from other broadcasters in picking up WUSF TV programming.

The spectrum is the pathway on which a video signal is broadcast. When presented with the initial proposal in October 2015, the university had several options, ranging from selling the entire spectrum -- which means the station would go off the air -- or switching to another channel, or sharing a channel with another local broadcaster, or doing nothing.

The spectrum auction is affecting television stations across the nation. Several published accounts say the total amount expected to be raised is around $20 billion.

Fox Television is reporting it's expecting around $350 million from the sale of some of its spectrum, Tribune Media expects to receive $190 million, and Gray Television says it will receive $90.8 million.

Central Michigan University announced it's expecting $14 million from the sale of the signal for its public station, WFUM, in Flint.
http://wusfnews.wusf.usf.edu/post/wusf- ... operations

Some Guy from Toledo

Re: PBS Channel Tampa Bay to Go Dark

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:22 pm

Turkeytop wrote:It's all about greed, of course. They decided to sell off their license to the highest bidder. Will the loyal viewers, who have supported them financially over the years get a payout from the $18.7 M proceeds from the sale? Don't count on it.
WUSF TV License Sold; Station Will End Operations

The University of South Florida has sold WUSF Television as part of the Federal Communication Commissions's spectrum auction.

The license for the station was sold for $18.7 million. As part of its Broadcast Incentive Auction, the federal government is buying signals from broadcasters around the country to sell to wireless network providers.

WUSF TV will go off the air at a date still to be decided. The FCC will not distribute proceeds from the auction until the entire auction is complete. USF will have up to six months after receiving the proceeds to shut down WUSF TV's broadcast operations.

WUSF 89.7 and WSMR Radio will not be affected by this sale. A number of WUSF TV and WUSF Public Media employees will be laid off.

The decision to sell WUSF TV was made by USF executives, including the Board of Trustees. USF holds the licenses of WUSF Public Media.

Lara Wade, USF Director of Media/Public Affairs, said the university is seeking support from other broadcasters in picking up WUSF TV programming.

The spectrum is the pathway on which a video signal is broadcast. When presented with the initial proposal in October 2015, the university had several options, ranging from selling the entire spectrum -- which means the station would go off the air -- or switching to another channel, or sharing a channel with another local broadcaster, or doing nothing.

The spectrum auction is affecting television stations across the nation. Several published accounts say the total amount expected to be raised is around $20 billion.

Fox Television is reporting it's expecting around $350 million from the sale of some of its spectrum, Tribune Media expects to receive $190 million, and Gray Television says it will receive $90.8 million.

Central Michigan University announced it's expecting $14 million from the sale of the signal for its public station, WFUM, in Flint.
http://wusfnews.wusf.usf.edu/post/wusf- ... operations
They're all a$$holes anyway.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:00 am

Turkeytop wrote:It's all about greed, of course.

That wraps it up all nice and pretty, maintains the good old "three cheers for us little guys, and down with THE MAN" rhetoric, but unfortunately lacks accuracy.

Public funding is drying up, as it should. Although I love some PBS features and programs, we have to choose if we want to pay for roads, bridges, freeways, wars, Obama-phones, payments to people who live an entire life on welfare, or if we want things like PBS.

We simply can't have both.....there is no endless well supplying buckets of money for people's pet and favorite projects.......if people liken their personal finances and bank accounts to those of the nation, they might understand better....but, unfortunately, many persons live their financial lives equally poorly.

If you chose to donate, the donations paid in part for production, wages, operation costs, and more over the years. You didn't buy 'stock' in a corporation. You enjoyed the programs, and as a result, chose willingly to support them. Those costs amounted to hundreds if not thousands of times the residual license sale amount. Only a fool would think there is some refund years later when all that stops.

WCMZ in Flint was just sold for about 15 million as well. I expect to see more.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:27 am

I rarely watch any TV at all. But when I'm down here in Florida I sometimes watch Charlie Rose, if my wife goes off to bed early. I'll miss that.

I'm a real fan of NPR and listen daily. I also support them financially. If they ever take that away I may as well scrap my radios.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:33 pm

In some markets there is considerable duplication - is there another PBS station?

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:37 pm

WEDU is on Channel 13, and Transmitter is right there in Tampa area.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:14 pm

audiophile wrote:WEDU is on Channel 13, and Transmitter is right there in Tampa area.
I thought ch 13 was Fox.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:47 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
audiophile wrote:WEDU is on Channel 13, and Transmitter is right there in Tampa area.
I thought ch 13 was Fox.
WEDU is channel 3 (virtual) and RF 13. FOX is RF 12 and virtual 13.

There are a few stations that could end up moving to WUSF's RF 34:
WXPX (RF 42, ION)
WTOG (RF 44, CW)
WFTT (RF 47, UniMas)

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:14 pm

ftballfan wrote:
Turkeytop wrote:
I thought ch 13 was Fox.
WEDU is channel 3 (virtual) and RF 13. FOX is RF 12 and virtual 13.

There are a few stations that could end up moving to WUSF's RF 34:
WXPX (RF 42, ION)
WTOG (RF 44, CW)
WFTT (RF 47, UniMas)

I've seen WEDU on ch 3. Their programming is district from what is on WUSF. They have a lot of children's programs.

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:30 pm

Turkeytop wrote:I've seen WEDU on ch 3. Their programming is district from what is on WUSF. They have a lot of children's programs.
That's one consolation I suppose. As long as they don't take the bait too, seems like it's the universities who are falling for it first, and no wonder, that money certainly helps somehow on campus as long as it's not going to the janitor. I still feel sorry for those supporters though, unless they can be transferred over to WEDU somehow and not feel robbed the slightest.

phillyb

Post by phillyb » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:10 pm

Greed, schmeed. It's about an irrelevant, stodgy network with rapidly aging (soon to die) viewers who will take the stations down with them. There's no reason for PBS to exist anymore, and WUSF is just taking an easy way out of a bad conundrum.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:05 pm

Some Guy from Toledo wrote:
Turkeytop wrote:I've seen WEDU on ch 3. Their programming is district from what is on WUSF. They have a lot of children's programs.
That's one consolation I suppose. As long as they don't take the bait too, seems like it's the universities who are falling for it first, and no wonder, that money certainly helps somehow on campus as long as it's not going to the janitor. I still feel sorry for those supporters though, unless they can be transferred over to WEDU somehow and not feel robbed the slightest.
As WEDU is owned by a not-for-profit group and is the strongest of the two PBS outlets in the market, they are not as pinched financially as WUSF, especially now as they will have a monopoly on public television. WEDU also benefitted by having full-market coverage on both analog and digital cable services -- WUSF was crippled by a 2009 federal decision that made it optional for cable systems to carry more than one public station in analog; after then, Bright House / Spectrum began carrying WUSF only in digital, while Comcast in Hillsborough County dropped WUSF altogether.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic