Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

What does it take to get banned from this board?

Got a question? Can't figure out how to get that neat picture under your user name? Need any other tech tips? Post it here! Also, this is where I make important site related announcements.
zzand

Re: What does it take to get banned from this board?

Post by zzand » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:26 am

Mine too.

kager

Post by kager » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:52 am

Doubt they are the same - that would mean jumping to the conclusion that dub-l is even a person.

If it is - whether there's a close relationship to the board op or not - the reason to keep the entity active above all of its seeming TOU violations (& your protests, questions, and quest for the logic) has been given.
audiophile wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:52 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:47 pm
I have better things to do than to babysit (i.e. censor) on behalf of a handful of overly sensitive adults.
The boss has spoken. Lets move on.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:57 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:15 am
Calvert DeForest wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:22 am
Bottom line, this is MW's board. He pays the bills. He can run it as he pleases. We are guests in his house. If you don't like how he runs things, you're free to start your own message board and set your own rules. Not that I haven't made suggestions from time to time, but at the end of the day it ain't my house. If we're that upset with the arrangements, we all know where the door is.
Fair point except rather than a house its a bit more like a hotel. You don't need customers to have a house but you need customers to have a hotel.
Perhaps, but nobody is forced to stay in a hotel that they don't like. There's always the option to check out and find another place to stay if you're that dissatisfied with the management. That's your option.

Aside from that, the hotel analogy doesn't really apply. Hotels cost money. This forum is free for us.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:44 pm

You all can nitpick my point all you want but this is a two sided relationship. Without people posting he doesn't have a forum. And most forums, including this one only have a small percentage of members who actively participate.
So ya anyone can leave but anyone can complain too since moderation is pretty non-existent here. As for me I mostly just ignore you know who's posts although I haven't officially pushed the for button.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:30 am

I understand what you're saying, and it is a valid point. My point is that if anyone here is frustrated enough that their concerns aren't being addressed, the most effective way to express displeasure is not to patronize the board. It's kinda like those who complain about Walmart's policies, yet they shop at Walmart. Not exactly the way to send an effective message.

I'm not saying the board shouldn't be open to feedback, and MW has given us a section to do just that. A lot of moderators wouldn't afford space for criticism on their sites, or would just delete critical posts. We have the opportunity to say what we think, positive or negative. Doesn't mean the moderator has to answer to every criticism or let the posters drive board policy. This board still has a good amount of active and passive traffic despite those who may disagree with its administration. Yes, we have some "colorful characters" who post here, some of whom can be annoying at times. I choose not to engage those people. They're not enough of an annoyance to make me consider ever leaving the board, but that's my personal choice. Personally, I find more than enough value in this community to offset the pesky goofballs.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:36 pm

Very interesting discussion, with two distinct and very valid points of view:

1. It's annoying, upsetting, irritating, distracting, and more to be subjected to the foolishness that pervades virtually every thread at some point or another. It's why I left coming up on 2 years ago. There reaches a point where there is simply more chaff than wheat.

2. The owner / operator of the board didn't sign up to police the board. It would be an enormous task to do so, and there would be no end to the number of grey areas that would cause even more controversy. It would become a never-ending task.

Further, in his doing so, any evil-doer who would be banned could/would simply start over as a new user. The management would be chasing their tails constantly, especially with anyone dedicated to really being a pain in the ass.

Years ago, I was a sysop on the CompuServe Broadcast and HAMNET forums. There, we had much broader powers....with a single action, we could ban a user ID, and in order to show up with a new user ID the miscreant would have to close out his paid CompuServe account and open another. It was more work for them to do that then it was for us to ban them. We could keep them spinning their tails.

MW doesn't have that luxury.....he's on the wrong end of that process.

I have 41 years in the industry, ranging from a volunteer at a station to an assistant engineer to a chief to a regional CE to a corporate director to an independent consultant. I'm not saying over those years that this board was the overall best source of information, but it was a unique and onetime valuable source of info, sometimes local news-before-it-happens, and the occasional interesting discussion. There simply was not a much else like it, and certainly not in the state where I lived.

Then, something happened...not overnight, but over a year or two. This place became often mean-spirited, sometimes sophomoric, sometimes like an elementary school playground where a couple kids pick on another for wearing the wrong shoes. I recall once casually mentioning I'm was at our Maui home, and the peanut gallery decided that needed ridicule. I'm here now, too, if they want to use that to discredit my point.

Anyway, as that sort of thing happened more and more, a number of good people simply wandered away. I don't bring it up much to colleagues, for the board itself has a bit of a 'stink' or 'stigma' with many of the real pros, but the few times I have, people I respect very much just say "meh.....no longer worth the time".

It's not Mark's fault....I blame the anonymity of the keyboard, the lack of general 'good' behavior, and overall pettiness of people. It's everywhere. It's evident in places like this, all over facebook, even behind the wheel. It's amazing how a keyboard and an internet connection, or the six feet between your car and the one next to you can make social convention and reasonableness go away. Hell, I fell into it a few times....I've posted a few things here that made me wince later.

I visit almost no more....I hurt my foot out walking yesterday, and I'm staying off it today, and looking for something to do from a chair. This thread called out for a response.

I see no fix for the state of the Buzzboard but to leave it as I did. Doing so lowered my irritability, gave me time for more lucrative, fun, or healthier pursuits, and at the very small cost of the diminishing little bit of remaining news or information.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

The Sage

Post by The Sage » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:40 pm

zzand wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:47 am
Hell Realist, most of us long timers had a feud with Rage at one point or another.
Rage left because he was a pussy. He couldn't win, and when he realized that he left and never came back. The board became much less fun afterward.

I'm interested to hear what some of you fellas think this place should be? Compulsive behavior, name-calling and such seem to be woven into the fabric of the place. The big difference I see is that it seems to have moved beyond the political forum into the broadcast discussions. Maybe the loss of that civility is what frustrates industry posters?

Personally, I married a smoking hot trophy wife and I spend my energy working on that. She is far more interesting than this place.

https://youtu.be/w7gMF4KAve0

"Actually that's kind of the problem with Radio, for every real legend, you get about fifteen tired old gasbags who stick around too long."

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:54 am

He didn't like the Bumpmaster3000.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:37 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:56 am
Is this board completely censor-free and whatever anybody posts is allowed?

I'm asking and specifically referring to a person who continuously uses gay slurs. What is to stop someone else from using slurs against blacks? Would the N-word be allowed here? Can you call Jewish people kykes? (FTR I'm straight, white, and Jewish).

Seriously, I know it's your board and you call the shots here, MW. We can mute people, leave the board, etc. I'm not trying to be an asshole, just curious if there actually is any line that can't be crossed.
Apparently it takes more than suggesting the POTUS should be assassinated as HoneyTBD suggested.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:18 pm

He's just problem solving, at that stage of it, no idea is a bad idea. I personally want Trump alive to take down the entire GOP.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:53 am

I have always thought it would be a fun social experiment to do something along the lines of ratings-based conversation where you have forum ratings, and the people with the highest rating index also have the greatest influence on another person's index. And based on that index, there is a tiered system where people at the talk can only read and respond to people at the top, then people in the middle, its the same, then people at the bottom. It would be a horrible, horrible way to run a board, but a fun social experiment.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:20 am

Plate Cap wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:36 pm
Very interesting discussion, with two distinct and very valid points of view:

1. It's annoying, upsetting, irritating, distracting, and more to be subjected to the foolishness that pervades virtually every thread at some point or another. It's why I left coming up on 2 years ago. There reaches a point where there is simply more chaff than wheat.

2. The owner / operator of the board didn't sign up to police the board. It would be an enormous task to do so, and there would be no end to the number of grey areas that would cause even more controversy. It would become a never-ending task.

Further, in his doing so, any evil-doer who would be banned could/would simply start over as a new user. The management would be chasing their tails constantly, especially with anyone dedicated to really being a pain in the ass.

Years ago, I was a sysop on the CompuServe Broadcast and HAMNET forums. There, we had much broader powers....with a single action, we could ban a user ID, and in order to show up with a new user ID the miscreant would have to close out his paid CompuServe account and open another. It was more work for them to do that then it was for us to ban them. We could keep them spinning their tails.

MW doesn't have that luxury.....he's on the wrong end of that process.

I have 41 years in the industry, ranging from a volunteer at a station to an assistant engineer to a chief to a regional CE to a corporate director to an independent consultant. I'm not saying over those years that this board was the overall best source of information, but it was a unique and onetime valuable source of info, sometimes local news-before-it-happens, and the occasional interesting discussion. There simply was not a much else like it, and certainly not in the state where I lived.

Then, something happened...not overnight, but over a year or two. This place became often mean-spirited, sometimes sophomoric, sometimes like an elementary school playground where a couple kids pick on another for wearing the wrong shoes. I recall once casually mentioning I'm was at our Maui home, and the peanut gallery decided that needed ridicule. I'm here now, too, if they want to use that to discredit my point.

Anyway, as that sort of thing happened more and more, a number of good people simply wandered away. I don't bring it up much to colleagues, for the board itself has a bit of a 'stink' or 'stigma' with many of the real pros, but the few times I have, people I respect very much just say "meh.....no longer worth the time".

It's not Mark's fault....I blame the anonymity of the keyboard, the lack of general 'good' behavior, and overall pettiness of people. It's everywhere. It's evident in places like this, all over facebook, even behind the wheel. It's amazing how a keyboard and an internet connection, or the six feet between your car and the one next to you can make social convention and reasonableness go away. Hell, I fell into it a few times....I've posted a few things here that made me wince later.

I visit almost no more....I hurt my foot out walking yesterday, and I'm staying off it today, and looking for something to do from a chair. This thread called out for a response.

I see no fix for the state of the Buzzboard but to leave it as I did. Doing so lowered my irritability, gave me time for more lucrative, fun, or healthier pursuits, and at the very small cost of the diminishing little bit of remaining news or information.
Banning the IP address can solve this. I highly doubt the few troublemakers here are using VPNs nor regularly go to different libraries just to log on and troll

Music is my life.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:24 pm

The Sage wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:40 pm
zzand wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:47 am
Hell Realist, most of us long timers had a feud with Rage at one point or another.
Rage left because he was a pussy. He couldn't win, and when he realized that he left and never came back. The board became much less fun afterward.

I'm interested to hear what some of you fellas think this place should be? Compulsive behavior, name-calling and such seem to be woven into the fabric of the place. The big difference I see is that it seems to have moved beyond the political forum into the broadcast discussions. Maybe the loss of that civility is what frustrates industry posters?

Personally, I married a smoking hot trophy wife and I spend my energy working on that. She is far more interesting than this place.

https://youtu.be/w7gMF4KAve0
My wife quit smoking before she married me.

Admitting you have a problem is the second step. The first step is finding a problem you really enjoy.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:12 am

I noticed that the trolls seemed to take off on this board after Bob left. Love him or hate him, he trolled the trolls.

I figured I would come back because there's only so much crap you can buy off Amazon. And Facebook is the same 5 arguments day in and day out....

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:06 pm

So far, brianp480 something and leo are the same guy. Both as foes now. Many many many posts in the "Massengil" section of this site. Who ever it is just wants attention at any cost. Also thinking it is an unliked guy in the Flint forum. All 3 talk the same way, similar political topics, same jibber jabber topics, etc. So, what does it really take to get banned? How many names should an IP be able to have?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic