Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

If you notice a bit of disruption to the Buzzboard...

Got a question? Can't figure out how to get that neat picture under your user name? Need any other tech tips? Post it here! Also, this is where I make important site related announcements.
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

If you notice a bit of disruption to the Buzzboard...

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:14 am

I apologize in advance!

Testing out some new security solutions in lieu of using Cloudflare.

Deleted User 15062

Re: If you notice a bit of disruption to the Buzzboard...

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:07 pm

That's why it says the cert was expired 46 days ago. Must go through hoops to get here, due to that. Chrome also thinks you've been hacked too.

Also, the top cursive banner is gone. Part of the test?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:20 pm

I re-pointed my Domain Name Servers away from Cloudflare earlier today, which caused me to lose the benefit of the SSL certificate.

I am in the process of purchasing an SSL elsewhere. I do have a security suite already in place, just not the SSL.

I installed phpBB version 3.2.8 earlier today as well, which may be causing some disruption. Site functionality is superb for me at the moment. There are no formatting / visual issues, either. The banner displays as normal for me, both on my PC and my smartphone.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:22 pm

Currently, 4:21 pm, the banner is back. During my earlier post, it was missing, even during reloads on various browsers.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:28 pm

When I changed my DNS from the Host IP to the new Firewall IP, it propagated within minutes on servers across multiple continents (literally). Cannot say what caused your issues; maybe your ISP just ain't with it? :blink

I also received a spanking new SSL minutes ago, so the "Not Secure" message that appears in the URL bar in Chrome should be changing to "Secure" soon.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:43 pm

test post

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:47 pm

I don't know if this is related or not. I can't stay logged in. Every time I click on something new, or even refresh the page, I have to log in all over again.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:46 am

Yup. I, too, am getting logged out whenever returning to the index page. This appears to be a caching issue. I will attempt to fix this. Thanks for the info.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:04 am

I solved the mystery. :)

The configuration for my cookies had some improper syntax.

The SSL that I purchased yesterday still isn't showing up when accessing the Buzzboard even though it does show here:
https://www.sslshopper.com/

I may need to change my server configuration & cookies configuration one more time either later today or this weekend.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:15 pm

I haven't noticed any problems (other than having to re-log in) but just a quick note of "THANKS!" for doing all the server maintenance. I know a lot of those changes can be frustrating when they're not working as they should!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:31 pm

That's very nice of you -- thank you, km1125! :)

The login process hopefully is working properly now for everyone.

I've discovered over the past 24 hours that server response sluggishness when submitting new posts was due to the phpBB software not playing "nice" with the Server due to Secure Socket Layer encryption. (When SSL was turned off and everything was being routed through standard "http://" protocol, everything was lightning fast!)

Upon changing the server port number, SSL seems to be getting along with the Server much better now.

Regardless of whether SSL is enabled or not, the Buzzboard's domain is now scanned twice daily for malware/viruses, aggressive bot filtering is in place, and I've blocked all traffic from eight countries responsible for bot registrations and past site attacks.

For now, I'm going to keep SSL in place. If sluggish responsiveness by the server upon post submission becomes a recurring issue again, I will deactivate the SSL.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:28 pm

I don't know if this is related at all. It may be just my computer.

I just attempted to reply to someone's post and got this message.
Access Denied - Sucuri Website Firewall
If you are the site owner (or you manage this site), please whitelist your IP or if you think this block is an error please open a support ticket and make sure to include the block details (displayed in the box below), so we can assist you in troubleshooting the issue.

Block details:
Your IP: 50.101.166.115
URL: www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/posting.php? ... 5&p=590973
Your Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/79.0.3945.88 Safari/537.36
Block ID: SQLi70
Block reason: SQL injection was detected and blocked.
Time: 2019-12-27 18:25:20
Server ID: 20006
That was on the Flint, Tri Cities and Thumb forum. I am able to post OK on the other forums.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:35 pm

Try again please, TT.

I was modifying the config.php file a few moments ago; that may have caused a temporary disruption.

Edit: Now that I know (per the Tech Talk forum) that your computer is suffering from malware or a virus infection, Turkeytop, it's very possible that my security software blocked your post on purpose.

Unbeknownst to you, it is possible the virus was trying to send some malicious code to my server.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:30 pm

Now I can't navigate away from this forum. If I click at the top of this page to go back to the Buzzboard home page, the page opens up with only the heading and nothing else..

I'm going to submit this posting and then get out my laptop and try it.

(20 minutes later)
Well, I tried my laptop and got that same error messagege

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:31 pm

Anyone else having issues?

For me, all links are working smooth as can be.

I'm not sure what to tell ya, TT. Could be a poor internet connection (i.e. packet drops). Any interruption in data transmission during php script execution will cause the type of issue you mentioned.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic