Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Hiding threads

Got a question? Can't figure out how to get that neat picture under your user name? Need any other tech tips? Post it here! Also, this is where I make important site related announcements.
ZenithCKLW

Hiding threads

Post by ZenithCKLW » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:49 pm

MW,

I think I mentioned this already before the great database crash, so I'm sure it is lost. I'm sure you have much bigger things to worry about, but do you think it would be possible in the future to introduce the ability to hide entire threads? There are some endless and/or inflammatory threads out there, and I would appreciate the opportunity to choose to not see these at the top of the forum for months or years at a time anymore.

Thanks in advance for the hard work.

SteveS

Re: Hiding threads

Post by SteveS » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:28 pm

Agreeing with this as I did the last time you brought it up.

SteveS

Post by SteveS » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:44 am

I wish they would add this simple functionality. The Ron Cameron obsession thread and its prior deleted threads just never end.
Last edited by SteveS on Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:37 pm

Agreed. The DB Suppository is another one. GG/101/Leo/BrianP... hide all 300 of the useless posts, since Summer would be great. We know it's the same person, under aliases.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:48 pm

I would love to permanently hide the persistent "Ron Cameron" thread, which seems to be forever pinned to the top of the Metro Detroit/SE Mich Forum. It's a discussion over a person not about local broadcasting.
If I can't hide it, make it its own forum or move it to to a more appropriate place.
Thanks.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:13 pm

When I first came to this board about 20 years ago, there was a thread devoted to the mammary endowment of a certain TV weather lady. That thread went on for a couple of years at least.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:36 pm

Ron Cameron is getting more publicity here that he ever did anywhere. Any publicity is good publicity.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:51 am

I agree with the suggestion; it would be great to incorporate such a feature.

Unfortunately, phpBB currently does not offer such a mod, as indicated here:
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2498191

SteveS

Post by SteveS » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:30 am

Thanks. I remember you gave a similar answer on the previous thread that was lost in the crash. Hopefully one day it will be there.

I remember killing undesired threads all the time in the Usenet newsgroups days with Forte Agent or any number of other newsreaders. I still miss Usenet but it got to where it was just throwing away six bucks a month for an Altopia account as the groups I had read for many years pretty much all died.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:14 am

I'm surprised after all these years that the phpBB coding geeks still haven't developed such a mod.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:21 am

I have a mod for it. It's called "my eyes". When I come to this site, if I see a thread that doesn't interest me, or another one whining about left-wing Democrat conspiracies, I just scroll away from it. I may not be interested in a Ron Cameron thread, but other people are, so it is what it is. I read the threads that interest me and ignore the rest. Merry Christmas to everyone!

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

G G

Post by G G » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:24 am

i think xenforo has that.

Donald Trump was and is the best president this country has ever had. And he will return to glory as our leader again.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:51 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:21 am
I have a mod for it. It's called "my eyes". When I come to this site, if I see a thread that doesn't interest me, or another one whining about left-wing Democrat conspiracies, I just scroll away from it. I may not be interested in a Ron Cameron thread, but other people are, so it is what it is. I read the threads that interest me and ignore the rest. Merry Christmas to everyone!
Exactly! Nowhere in the history of message boards have I seen anyone ask for such a feature. You just don't click on topics you don't care about. Nobody is forcing anyone to open and read through topics they don't want to!

Music is my life.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:15 pm

Now add all the R Bedell and Mr Reason threads to hide, which still show as "it" is foed under these names too. Once again, DB Suppository for proof. Also seem to think this Sinklair name may also be "it." Same craziness.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:18 am

stopnswop2 wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:51 am
Exactly! Nowhere in the history of message boards have I seen anyone ask for such a feature. You just don't click on topics you don't care about. Nobody is forcing anyone to open and read through topics they don't want to!
I know I'm putting the paddles to an old thread. But I'm just now lookin' at it.

I agree. One thing I do, once i see postings wander from the title topic, I quit opening up the thread and looking at it.
I'm also becoming better at seeing a title topic, thinking to myself "I really don't care too much about that" and not even opening the thread. Anything about pro basketball is a good example. Kudos to the folks into that, I'm not.

It was up to a hundred pages before I finally opened up the Ron Cameron thing to see what it's about. And like I said to someone when I did look at it, one of those people keeping that going has to be Cameron himself. I have no doubt.

I agree with stopnswap2. Just scroll on.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic