Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Preventative steps I've taken to prevent another massive loss of thread & post data

Got a question? Can't figure out how to get that neat picture under your user name? Need any other tech tips? Post it here! Also, this is where I make important site related announcements.
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Preventative steps I've taken to prevent another massive loss of thread & post data

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:30 am

Hello.

As you may already be aware, this site experienced a massive DB failure sometime in the early morning hours of Monday, October 29. Each & every SQL database table crashed and was unable to be repaired. (I spent over an hour on chat with my hosting company as they attempted to repair the database.)

Sadly, being the unprepared dumbass that I am, I learned the hard way that my hosting company was no longer automatically backing up my site (including the DB) on a daily basis. I am not sure if this was due to my site in particular growing too large or the aggregate of sites hosted on the same virtual private server growing too large. All I know is that there is a 10 GB file size limit, and once that threshold is crossed, automatic daily backups cease.

So, the best I could do was upload a database backup file from February 21, 2017 - the last one I had saved to my personal PC - and restart from there!

I am serious about taking action to ensure such an occurrence never happens again!

To that end, I have taken the following steps:
- I have modified my WHM configuration to allow for overnight daily backup of the full database.
- These backups will be saved to not just one, but two (!!!) different Cloud server locations.
- I have modified my registration anti-spam "challenge" question and will now do this on a routine basis in an effort to prevent spambots from successfully registering accounts.
- I will now be checking the registration queue daily (barring extenuating circumstances).
- I have enrolled the Buzzboard in CloudFare, which provides a number of utilities designed to improve the user experience and provide enhanced protection from security threats. I will be blocking ALL traffic from Russia.

Your patronage is highly appreciated! Thank you for making the Buzzboard the #1 outlet for media discussion in Michigan! I welcome any additional suggestions you may have; feel free to post them here.

Regards,

M.W.

TVC_DX5678

Re: Preventative steps I've taken to prevent another massive loss of thread & post data

Post by TVC_DX5678 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:59 am

Maybe Russia isn't the only problem... some Kuwaitis seemed to hack us last night.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Preventative steps I've taken to prevent another massive loss of thread & post data

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:17 am

Happened around 1PM Monday.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:29 am

Thank goodness for backups!

I'm going to be reevaluating my security measures this evening.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:58 pm

I appreciate your effort but the truth is none of our posts are so memorable that their loss somehow diminishes the world we live in.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:27 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:58 pm
I appreciate your effort but the truth is none of our posts are so memorable that their loss somehow diminishes the world we live in.
I can name a few posters who would vehemently disagree with you.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic