Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Slow board performance??

Got a question? Can't figure out how to get that neat picture under your user name? Need any other tech tips? Post it here! Also, this is where I make important site related announcements.
audiophile

Re: Slow board performance??

Post by audiophile » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:30 am

MW, how big was file on your local computer?

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:55 am

Oddly, only 25 MB.

The 10 GB must be based on my entire public_html folder size.

The good news is - I believe I've now configured my WHM software to successfully run three backups per week. If all goes successfully, the three most recent backups will always be available to me.

Yesterday's experience has forced me to learn a couple new things, which in the long run, should be beneficial.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:17 am

Since its February are the Lions 0-0? :lol:

I no longer directly engage trolls

mtburb
Location: Wyandotte, 17 miles from Southfield, 38 miles from Oregon

Post by mtburb » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:40 am

I managed to find a Wayback Machine backup of this site from August, hopefully it works completely.

https://web.archive.org/web/20180819200 ... /index.php

My furthest DTV tropo: KDKA Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania at 202 miles for three days in January 2017 and a night in September 2017 with only an Antennas Direct C2V!

Current setup: Antennas Direct C2Max (2018-present)

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:46 am

So I assume that the database not only crashed, but was corrupted beyond repair?

btw I see your backbone is cpanel - sounds like you've already figured this out, but cpanel has quite a few backup options that you can use yourself and not have to rely on your web host, ranging from just the database files to entire home directory backup/downloads.

Also on another note - that 10 GB could include email accounts if you have any set up at this domain.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:19 am

Correct. Every single table was corrupted and unable to be repaired.

I learned about the self-backup options the hard way, sadly. I rested my laurels on my hosting provider doing daily backups (I've leaned on these twice in the past), and unbeknownst to me until yesterday, they stopped doing those backups some time ago (I was unaware of this).

The phpBB admin module itself contains the ability to do database backups, but that module generally works poorly with large databases. The WHM method of database backup will hopefully work well for me. I've set those to start at 11:30p Pacific Time, so impact to board functionality will hopefully be minimal.

I do have a couple email accounts set up at this domain, but these mainly contain brief text messages alerting me of new user registrations.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:55 pm

Do you still have IP logs to find the origin of the attacks?

Was it the Russians?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:20 pm

I do not.

However, I can tell you that I did receive a lot of spambot registrations from Russia overnight & early this morning, following restoration of the site. A quick change to the registration anti-spambot challenge task quickly fixed that!

I have noticed form loading time following submittal of a new post is slower than normal. I am not sure what is causing that.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic