All accepted registrations through September 8 at 11:45a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective June 9, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=30571

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

Why has this place become so cynical and sarcastic?

Got a question? Can't figure out how to get that neat picture under your user name? Need any other tech tips? Post it here! Also, this is where I make important site related announcements.
LouPerry

Re: Why has this place become so cynical and sarcastic?

Post by LouPerry » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:06 pm

Our Board is different than many top market boards. You use your real name and your email address is posted when you make a comment or reply. The result is top professionals participate and people not connected to the industry generally don't participate. No one takes shots. In NY WPLJ that was very successful is no longer. When people commented on that John Foxx the PD wrote what he is doing to fix the station. Scott Shannon was the morning guy and very popular morning drive and drove the stations ratings. He "retired" and about 3-6 months later morning drive at WCBS-FM and ratings went up and station lowered station demo. Pat St. John announced his retirement Scott posted about a 10-minute audio praising Pat personally and professionally. Most of the years Pat competed with Scott.

K-Earth in LA normally one or two #'s went up lot to 5.7 and people asked why. PD Chris Ebbott wrote what he has done to tweak the on-air product. Part of that was letting go afternoon drive legend Shotgun Tom Kelly.

My point is a more industry professional boards uses real names that keep the conversations away from sophomoric comments hiding behind a made-up name. Don't get me wrong on the Detroit board there are a number, big number of very informed experienced broadcasters.

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:21 pm

I am perhaps a top contributor to the rudeness, look at my post about Then there's this: Sequel in the d-quel. But you know what, Force is right. This guy should be appointed a forum administrater immediately

The only time when it would ever be necessary to be political is if our right to pursue our happiness is taken away. Otherwise, leave politics to politicians!

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:14 pm

It's caused MW to close the forum, we've got until May 15

The only time when it would ever be necessary to be political is if our right to pursue our happiness is taken away. Otherwise, leave politics to politicians!

Studio87

Post by Studio87 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:40 am

LouPerry wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:06 pm
Our Board is different than many top market boards. You use your real name and your email address is posted when you make a comment or reply. The result is top professionals participate and people not connected to the industry generally don't participate.

My point is a more industry professional boards uses real names that keep the conversations away from sophomoric comments hiding behind a made-up name. Don't get me wrong on the Detroit board there are a number, big number of very informed experienced broadcasters.
I agree with the above statement. I don't officially work in the broadcasting industry, But I do operate an unlicensed radio station from time to time

Time to stop corporations from ruining Local TV and Radio

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:02 am

TheForce wrote:
Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:31 am
Just like the title says, why has this place become so cynical and sarcastic? What purpose does that serve? Why do people feel the need to chime in on something if they don't have anything to really add to the conversation? :rolleyes
I think the board has calmed down a lot compared to 10 or 15 years ago. I remember when it seemed like one flame war after another. I engaged in a lot of that stuff just because I let it get to me when I should have just walked away. I notice that the old-timers have become more pragmatic over the years probably because....well....we're old. :razz

That being said, there's always going to be sarcasm and cynicism. It's the nature of the internet. I've heard the net characterized as the world's biggest bathroom wall. I stated in a former signature that it's the digital equivalent of CB radio (only with a bigger signal range).

YouTube is like a sponge that absorbs ego.

zzand

Post by zzand » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:03 am

There has been much written on why people are rude, mean and nasty, among other things, on the internet. Most of it can be summed up as "Internet Cojones". When we are allowed to hide behind screen names we will say things that we would never say if using our real names. Now the actual writings are from doctors and professionals so it is in nice, neat terms, but what it comes down to is if we are pretty sure no one will know who we are and that what we write won't come back and bite our ass real hard, we cut loose and spew forth. I have met and spent time with posters from the board and found, though there have been exceptions, that they are very different on the board as compared to in person..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic