Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Minneapolis

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Turkeytop

Minneapolis

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:19 pm

Have any of you ever been to Minneapolis? I haven't been.

I'm invited to attend an event there with my Union in September. I just checked it out and it's shorter distance than I expected. Should be an easy drive.

I hate flying anymore.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

TC Talks

Re: Minneapolis

Post by TC Talks » Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:24 pm

Minneapolis is a cool place, St Paul (across the river) is more middle class. You should enjoy your event if it's in the summer. I will be there Tuesday for a bit.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:12 am

Unlike some large Midwestern cities, Minneapolis is fairly modern, has many well-kept neighborhoods, has great outdoor recreational opportunities, and has a diverse economy.

They also have a damn good and conveniently located airport.

The biggest downside is the cold, harsh winters.

As for the drive - you're used to driving all the way to Florida, TT, so you probably won't mind driving there too badly. Speaking for myself, I'd avoid driving there like the plague!!! It's about a 700 mile drive from Metro Detroit. I've left my house, driven to the airport(DTW), flown, and driven a rental car to the west side of Minneapolis in 3:30 flat.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:47 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:12 am
Unlike some large Midwestern cities, Minneapolis is fairly modern, has many well-kept neighborhoods, has great outdoor recreational opportunities, and has a diverse economy.

They also have a damn good and conveniently located airport.

The biggest downside is the cold, harsh winters.

As for the drive - you're used to driving all the way to Florida, TT, so you probably won't mind driving there too badly. Speaking for myself, I'd avoid driving there like the plague!!! It's about a 700 mile drive from Metro Detroit. I've left my house, driven to the airport(DTW), flown, and driven a rental car to the west side of Minneapolis in 3:30 flat.
I fly every time it is reasonable - last year I flew to Indianapolis and Chicago. Here are TT's options ranked:

1) Drive to DTW and take a nonstop flight to MSP on Delta.
2) Drive through the UP and take US 2 along Lake Michigan.
3) Don't go.
4) Drive through Chicago.

I had a similar DC experience - I think it was 4 hours from leaving the house, getting to DCA, and taking the metro to the hotel near the White House and checking in way early - approximately 9:30am.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:54 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
.... I've left my house, driven to the airport(DTW), flown, and driven a rental car to the west side of Minneapolis in 3:30 flat.
Before or after "TSA"?? It's appx a two hour flight. Knowing you have to be at the gate at least 30 min prior to departure (usually more) and whether or not you have to park, you still have to allow some time to get through TSA and then time to deplane and get to the rental car at the other end.

Not saying you didn't do that, I'm saying you could NEVER actually PLAN to get there in 3:30. Sure, if everything aligns perfectly that might happen, but 99% of the time it won't

Back to the OP's trip though... If you're driving, what route would you choose? Don't forget you an option instead of going through the UP or fighting traffic in Chicago. You could take the BADGER car ferry across the lake. It takes about 4 hours, but consider that a rest and "refuel" for the remaining part of the trip!! (and it's pretty scenic usually!).
https://www.ssbadger.com/

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:12 am

km1125 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:54 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
.... I've left my house, driven to the airport(DTW), flown, and driven a rental car to the west side of Minneapolis in 3:30 flat.
Before or after "TSA"?? It's appx a two hour flight. Knowing you have to be at the gate at least 30 min prior to departure (usually more) and whether or not you have to park, you still have to allow some time to get through TSA and then time to deplane and get to the rental car at the other end.

Not saying you didn't do that, I'm saying you could NEVER actually PLAN to get there in 3:30. Sure, if everything aligns perfectly that might happen, but 99% of the time it won't

Back to the OP's trip though... If you're driving, what route would you choose? Don't forget you an option instead of going through the UP or fighting traffic in Chicago. You could take the BADGER car ferry across the lake. It takes about 4 hours, but consider that a rest and "refuel" for the remaining part of the trip!! (and it's pretty scenic usually!).
Apparently, km is unaware that TSA Precheck and Clear exist.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:34 am

Matt wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:12 am
km1125 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:54 am
MWmetalhead wrote:

I know they exist and have been able to take advantage of that. Not everyone can. And they don't work all the time. Last time at SEA CLEAR would not function for me, even though it had been fine in the past. It still did save me a LITTLE time because the normal lines were very long, but it still took time to get through their glitch in the system.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:53 am

This was in early summer 2001, I believe, so no TSA yet.

That said, with only 1 exception, it's never taken me more than 15 minutes to get thru TSA screening at Metro (without pre check). A 7:00a outbound flight was the only time the line was bad for me.

There have been times where I've entered the TSA line at Hartsfield and even La Guardia with virtually no one in line.

I've never flown during busy holidays.

Driving through Chicago ain't necessarily bad if you plan in advance from a timing and route perspective. There are several route options.

I rode as a teenager with my folks to Minneapolis. The ride through Wisconsin was the worst part. So boring; there is vast nothingness along I-94.

edj

Post by edj » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:46 am

Hitting Chicago around 4AM or earlier is ideal. 94 is a toll road in the northern suburbs to the Wisconsin line, though you can take US-41 near the lakeshore.

Last time I was in Minneapolis not including driving through was in 2005. Unimpressed but maybe things have changed. Mall of America (in Bloomington) is highly overrated and much smaller than I thought.

I drove, so I can't say how the airport, which is actually in Bloomington, is.

WC8KCY

Post by WC8KCY » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:18 pm

I drive across the Upper Peninsula to Mille Lacs, MN--a bit north of Minneapolis--every summer and it's a pleasant trip by car--IF you don't mind driving fast. Be prepared to drive 110 km/h on US-2 in the Upper Peninsula where the speed limit is posted at 65 mph to keep up with traffic, and 105 km/h on the two-lane roads in Minnesota where 60 mph is posted.

In Wisconsin they're more aggressive about enforcing their lower speed limits and driving is more easy-going. Heading southwest on SR-77 is a beautiful, relaxing drive on a good road.

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:26 am

One can bypass Chicago itself (though not northwest Indiana and the south suburbs which can also have bad traffic) by taking I-80 to I-39 and 39 up to 90, which then runs back into 94 in Wisconsin. Longer route but 39 is a much more relaxing drive than the Tri-State or the Dan Ryan/Kennedy/Edens combo

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:44 pm

Matt wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:12 am
He can't afford the $35. PreCheck takes a few minutes at almost any airport. Clear remains hit or miss.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:20 pm

CurlyHoward wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:26 am
One can bypass Chicago itself (though not northwest Indiana and the south suburbs which can also have bad traffic) by taking I-80 to I-39 and 39 up to 90, which then runs back into 94 in Wisconsin. Longer route but 39 is a much more relaxing drive than the Tri-State or the Dan Ryan/Kennedy/Edens combo
That's the route my dad always took back in the day.

Personally, I'd go through the western burbs of Chicago.

Motown322

Post by Motown322 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:38 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:44 pm
He can't afford the $35. PreCheck takes a few minutes at almost any airport. Clear remains hit or miss.
More than half the time when I fly out of Metro (I fly quite a bit for work) the CLEAR line is longer than TSA PreCheck... I don't see the value in spending almost $200/year to jump like 4 spots in line at PreCheck.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic