Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

You Be The Judge

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Round Six

You Be The Judge

Post by Round Six » Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:29 pm

I kinda wish TurkeyTrot was still with us. Would value his opinion.

Where I work, the hourly maintenance planners had company cellphones. Due to budget constraints, they took cellphones away from hourly employees. Those who didn't already have a personal cell went and got one.

Except one.

He is telling the company he no longer has a phone number. Management told him he has to provide them with a phone number so they can get hold of him. When the union got involved, the grievenceman got the manager to say "Having a phone is a job requirement". Ooops. A can of worms got opened.

Where we work, anything required for the job is provided by the company. Safety glasses, menetarsials, fireproof clothes, gloves, etc, etc.

A grievance has been filed. Everyone that works here has naturally grown a keen interest in this.

What sayeth y'all?
Last edited by Round Six on Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

Realist

Re: You Be The Judge

Post by Realist » Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:34 pm

Company just put their foot in their mouth with that statement. If the contract says they are to provide all equipment, company loses this grievance

zzand

Post by zzand » Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:36 pm

To me there has to be limits. It's like saying a valid drivers license is needed for employment. Does that mean the company has to furnish everyone a car? No it means if you want to work here you need a license.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:55 pm

Sure sounds like free phones for all to me...

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:39 pm

The company will retract the mandate that employees must have phones. But every company has an on call policy for shift work.

Wow, this is an interesting one.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:18 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:39 pm
The company will retract the mandate that employees must have phones. But every company has an on call policy for shift work.

Wow, this is an interesting one.
Some of us suspect he must have a personal cell. But has no plans to share that with anyone at work.
I can't fathom anyone not having any way for friends and family to contact them.
Me personally I think he'll give in once there's a downturn in shift hours and he gets "hungry" for overtime.
Can't be called for any OT if the company don't have your number.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:26 pm

The union will put a stop to things like that.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:37 pm

I gather there's a collective agreement. The Union should make an estoppel argument.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic