Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Dealers to GM - stop giving us EVs; we want hybrids!

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Dealers to GM - stop giving us EVs; we want hybrids!

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:04 am

The dealers are 100 percent in the right on this.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/busin ... 936959007/

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Graham Wellington

Re: Dealers to GM - stop giving us EVs; we want hybrids!

Post by Graham Wellington » Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:14 am

Queue all the people bitching about you posting a paywalled article....

But this is 100% correct. Expecting to just jump to 100% electric when there isn't remotely close to enough electric and charging infrastructure as well as too many things to iron out yet with electric cars is a recipe for disaster.

Yes, let's move towards electric. But let's do it smart.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:36 am

Toyota mostly did it right.

Ideally you want a smaller battery that holds enough power to take care of short trips and uses a regular household outlet, in case you want to top it off each night to save on gas.

You want a simple non-turbo 3 or 4 cylinder direct-injection engine, with regen braking, and heating and air-conditioning being fully electric.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:03 am

Paywall fixed. https://archive.ph/vRi0d

Toyota will remain strong in EV in North America but will continue hybrid in their less developed global markets.

Again, the Midwest is the slowest to adopt anything. She needs to be listening to the much more lucrative coastal markets.

I would be cautious of anything the bastard dealers ask for. I'm sure they are afraid of the significantly reduced maintenance and reasons to give those crooks money.
Last edited by TC Talks on Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:24 am, edited 4 times in total.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Motown322

Post by Motown322 » Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:04 am

It was ridiculous to think that people were just going to switch over completely, but unfortunately Wall Street gets really boned up when automakers make these kinds of announcements and then stock ratings and prices go up so that drives dumb shit like this. I've said for years that plug-in hybrids were the way to go because it gives people training wheels, so to speak, as an introduction to BEV technology. Once they realize that it can work for their lifestyle they'd be more agreeable to completely changing over to full electric down the road once the infrastructure has caught up.

I do still feel like standard/interchangeable battery cells can bridge the gap while the infrastructure catches up (and we all know that's going to take a lot longer than people want to admit)... having the ability to be on a long road trip and pull in somewhere that looks like a Valvoline Oil Change where batteries get swapped in 10 minutes could alleviate a lot of range anxiety people have.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:45 am

Motown322 wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:04 am
.... having the ability to be on a long road trip and pull in somewhere that looks like a Valvoline Oil Change where batteries get swapped in 10 minutes could alleviate a lot of range anxiety people have.
In theory, that sounds like a great idea. But I have the feeling by the time exchanging batteries isn't cost prohibitive, range anxiety will no longer be a factor. My gut is we're not too far away (maybe 10 years) from technology that provides a full charge almost as quick as a petrol fill-up.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

Motown322

Post by Motown322 » Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:00 am

I don't disagree with you at all on the technology being there, but I worry about the cost to implement it. I'm not saying a battery swap is the be-all end-all solution, but the cost efficiencies of multiple OEMs using the same setup would be worth it alone I'd think.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:03 am

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:30 am

Graham Wellington wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:14 am
Queue all the people bitching about you posting a paywalled article....
There is a difference between bitching and merely pointing out that one can't read the given article because they don't subscribe.
Normally I would then say "have a miserable Christmas you fucking asshole" but instead I will take the high road and say I sort of hope you aren't one of those people who has a fatal heart attack over the holidays.
I no longer directly engage trolls

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic