Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Tow truck tipping

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Round Six

Tow truck tipping

Post by Round Six » Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:27 am

Had to get a tow yesterday. My buddy got the impression the tow driver may of been expecting a tip. Never crossed my mind. Think I should of thought about it?

Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

Rate This

Re: Tow truck tipping

Post by Rate This » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:21 am

Round Six wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:27 am
Had to get a tow yesterday. My buddy got the impression the tow driver may of been expecting a tip. Never crossed my mind. Think I should of thought about it?
A cursory Google search finds things like “50% of people tip their tow truck driver”… and “while not required many people tip 15-20% for exceptional service”. I had never really thought about tipping a tow truck driver before… but it does make sense if they really did a good job.

How many of the people with old cars prone to breaking down a lot and thus being towed more can afford to tip?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:59 am

When I first saw the subject line, I thought it would be another of matti's tmz videos of a tow truck mishap.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:03 am

A sidebar on tipping. I read an article on how tipping has gotten out of control and mentioned circumstances where people often tip but don't need to.
Tow truck drivers were not mentioned but what jumped out at me was open bars at a wedding or similar event. According to the article if there is an open bar where guests drink for free a tip was already factored in to the price the host pays for the open bar. So as a guest if you tip then they get tipped twice.
I no longer directly engage trolls

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:35 am

craig11152 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:03 am
A sidebar on tipping. I read an article on how tipping has gotten out of control and mentioned circumstances where people often tip but don't need to.
Tow truck drivers were not mentioned but what jumped out at me was open bars at a wedding or similar event. According to the article if there is an open bar where guests drink for free a tip was already factored in to the price the host pays for the open bar. So as a guest if you tip then they get tipped twice.
You're assuming the owner of the venue actually passes on that gratuity to the staff. In many cases they don't

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:56 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:35 am
craig11152 wrote:
You're assuming the owner of the venue actually passes on that gratuity to the staff. In many cases they don't
I am not assuming anything I am passing on a thing I read. You are the one assuming the tips don't get passed down.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:16 am

craig11152 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:56 am
Turkeytop wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:35 am
I am not assuming anything I am passing on a thing I read. You are the one assuming the tips don't get passed down.
I'm not assuming that. I know it for a fact. At one of our staff meetings we were told that by some of the staff members. When we confronted the management about it, the guy told us "I pay them $1/hr above the minimum wage. That's their tip."

Before we all left at the end of the week we each threw ten bucks each into a hat and presented it to the employees.

Capitalist employers are greedy. Given the chance, they'll steal from their employees. That's why we need Unions.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:28 pm

craig11152 wrote:
I can't remember ever going to a wedding with an open bar and there NOT be a tip glass. I myself tip a buck every trip to the bar.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:35 pm

Rate This wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:21 am
A cursory Google search finds things like “50% of people tip their tow truck driver”… and “while not required many people tip 15-20% for exceptional service”. I had never really thought about tipping a tow truck driver before… but it does make sense if they really did a good job.

How many of the people with old cars prone to breaking down a lot and thus being towed more can afford to tip?
Thanks for the info. I have AAA roadside assistance so I wouldn't know what 20 percent would be. Next time I'll know to give him something. Like I said, tipping a tow truck driver is honestly something I've never thought was a thing.

I think I found the article you found. Basically says if they did something special like try to troubleshoot, give 'em something. This was just a snatch and go warranty tow. I didn't want it fixed on the side of the road. Don't feel quite as bad.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:51 pm

Round Six wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:28 pm

I can't remember ever going to a wedding with an open bar and there NOT be a tip glass. I myself tip a buck every trip to the bar.
I always have too. In fact I make it a point to have several 1's and 5's at these events just for tipping. Oddly enough the only wedding I went to since I read the article was at the Henry Ford Museum a few weeks ago. There was not a tip jar anywhere despite two separate bars.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:23 pm

The last wedding I attended was my wife's scab nephew. For her sake I had to make nice and shake his hand. It was like grabbing a handful of raw liver.

Right away, I went and gave my hands a thorough washing. Then I headed for the free bar for a couple of stiff drinks and tipped generously. Anyone working for an a**hole like him needs a tip.

When we got home that night, I had a long, hot shower and and a couple more drinks.

Of course, the marriage didn't last long. After three years she left him for a real man.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:34 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:23 pm
The last wedding I attended was my wife's scab nephew. For her sake I had to make nice and shake his hand. It was like grabbing a handful of raw liver.

Right away, I went and gave my hands a thorough washing. Then I headed for the free bar for a couple of stiff drinks and tipped generously. Anyone working for an a**hole like him needs a tip.

When we got home that night, I had a long, hot shower and and a couple more drinks.

Of course, the marriage didn't last long. After three years she left him for a real man.
So if you’re not Union you’re not a real man? Conversely if you’re not Union you feel the need to wipe that kind of unwashedness off of you so to speak?

matt1

Post by matt1 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:52 pm

"Mater" the talking truck!!! (from the Disney Pixar "Cars" movies)

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:20 pm

Rate This wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:34 pm

So if you’re not Union you’re not a real man? Conversely if you’re not Union you feel the need to wipe that kind of unwashedness off of you so to speak?
Didn't say that. Lots of real men haven't yet joined a Union.

But no real man has ever scabbed.

Art Van Damme

Post by Art Van Damme » Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:26 pm

Long story short.

I broke down in the middle of PA at 2:30am. Called a tow truck. Arrived in 15 minutes. Towed my vehicle (and me) to the nearest dealership about 10 miles away. Unloaded vehicle in the dealership lot. He then drove me to the nearest hotel (Hampton Inn). He waited and made sure that there was a room available. I tipped him $40.

He could have left me at the dealer to fend for myself at 3am and be done with it.

I was very grateful.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic