Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

I get amazed when shit actually works

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Honeyman

I get amazed when shit actually works

Post by Honeyman » Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:30 pm

In this age of incompetence, I am shocked when things work correctly.

I have a relatively new Sony TV and just moved. My wife likes to cast workouts on the TV from her phone. She had no problem in our old house, but couldn't do it here. I contacted (via chat) Sony, they were able to remotely get into my TV, update whatever needed to be updated, and it works now.

Big kudos to Sony. The Bravia TV I have is fantastic.

The censorship king from out of state.

km1125

Re: I get amazed when shit actually works

Post by km1125 » Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:46 pm

Does it bother you even remotely that someone was able to "remotely get into my TV" (which also means that they were getting into your in-home network)?

If they could do it, how many more can, and would you even know?

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:09 pm

km1125 wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:46 pm
Does it bother you even remotely that someone was able to "remotely get into my TV" (which also means that they were getting into your in-home network)?

If they could do it, how many more can, and would you even know?
I see your point. I had to access a code that enabled them to get into my TV and update software that was there. I didn't share any passwords.

When the cable guy installed my internet, he would obviously know the password. I wasn't bothered by that.
The censorship king from out of state.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:11 pm

I don't think they necessarily "get into the TV" by "getting into the home network". It's possible that the TV pings Sony's network for updates all the time, and something was stuck, and the agent pushed the update from the site for the TV to retrieve, using the access code to identify which TV is asking for this update. Kind of like Windows updates, Microsoft isn't actually getting into your home network to update your computer, the computer is just receiving what is pushed from the update server.

Just a guess, but I doubt an agent at Sony is able to just hop on to someone's home network, unless the home network is configured with virtually zero privacy settings.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:44 pm

Simple: Don't have a Microsoft product in your house, keep your important files in the cloud and download to a hard drive you keep disconnected in a fireproof vault.

Replace your access point every 3 years and cycle your modem every month which should push updates if the automatic updates don't function.

Walk around naked in front of any security or laptop cameras to horrify hackers.

Finally, accept that your life is just not that interesting to those capable of breaching your security.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic