Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

U.S.P.S. warning users against sending checks through the mail

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
TC Talks

U.S.P.S. warning users against sending checks through the mail

Post by TC Talks » Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:46 pm

Lovejoy's brilliance at work...
PITTSBURGH (KDKA) - There is a new warning from the U.S. Postal Service: Do not send checks through the mail.

Americans wrote 3.4 billion checks last year, according to the Federal Reserve, and many of them end up in the U.S. Postal Service to pay bills for one thing or another.

Now, the post office is warning its users: Do not put checks in the mail. Why? Because more of them are getting stolen than ever.

"Unfortunately, this is something that can happen," says Caitlin Driscoll of the better business bureau.

The Postal Service reports that complaints of mail theft doubled in 2021, and banks report that check fraud jumped to 680,000 reports last year, up from 300,000 the year before.

So, who is stealing these checks?

It's not entirely clear; it could be workers at postal distribution centers who recognize a check in an envelope or, perhaps more likely, thieves who fish envelopes out of mailboxes.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Matt

Re: U.S.P.S. warning users against sending checks through the mail

Post by Matt » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:18 am

Uh, this has nothing to do with the postmaster general...
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:52 am

Matt wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:18 am
Uh, this has nothing to do with the postmaster general...
If employees are stealing mail it sure does... He greatly reduced the Postal investigation staff to almost a crippling amount.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

teetoppz28

Post by teetoppz28 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:58 pm

Who the hell stills sends checks in the mail? What service/person/organization doesn't have an option of electronic payments?!?!? Hell, I haven't purchased a stamp in probably a decade!
Dropping knowledge on forum MAGAts.
Unapologetically intellectually superior.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:13 pm

teetoppz28 wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:58 pm
Who the hell stills sends checks in the mail? What service/person/organization doesn't have an option of electronic payments?!?!? Hell, I haven't purchased a stamp in probably a decade!
Obviously, you never have run a business.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:42 pm

teetoppz28 wrote:

My monthly pension from my Union comes from the US. It has always been directly deposited into my $US account at my bank here in Canada. Earlier this month I got a letter telling me their bank can no longer do direct deposits into a Canadian bank. I will now be getting a cheque in the mail each month.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

teetoppz28

Post by teetoppz28 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:58 pm

audiophile wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:13 pm
teetoppz28 wrote:
WTF does never have run a business have to do with it? If you run a business and can't figure out electronic forms of payments, you're losing money on the overhead of paying by paper check, and should really reconsider if you're that business savvy...

So, what businesses still REQUIRE paper checks be mailed to them for payment of services? Even my sprinkler guy, who's pushing 90 now, has a Venmo account he uses for payment.
Dropping knowledge on forum MAGAts.
Unapologetically intellectually superior.

tigerwings

Post by tigerwings » Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:03 pm

I have an insurance bill I mail quarterly.

If I were to set electronic withdraw, they charge $3 a month.

Toledo Water gives me $1 credit each month for paperless billing and electronic withdraw.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.

― Seneca

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:14 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:42 pm
teetoppz28 wrote:

My monthly pension from my Union comes from the US. It has always been directly deposited into my $US account at my bank here in Canada. Earlier this month I got a letter telling me their bank can no longer do direct deposits into a Canadian bank. I will now be getting a cheque in the mail each month.
You'll have to convert the checks over to cheques.
― Noam Chomsky

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:28 pm

teetoppz28 wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:58 pm
audiophile wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:13 pm
teetoppz28 wrote:
WTF does never have run a business have to do with it? If you run a business and can't figure out electronic forms of payments, you're losing money on the overhead of paying by paper check, and should really reconsider if you're that business savvy...

So, what businesses still REQUIRE paper checks be mailed to them for payment of services? Even my sprinkler guy, who's pushing 90 now, has a Venmo account he uses for payment.
A paper check only costs pennies, postage is relatively minor, but where you will get killed is paying employees in the accounting department for having multiple non-reconciling systems. This is advantage of paper check, the system old but has multiple checks-and-balances and is simple for the sender.

You also catch problems, like and AC unit stuck on, or leaky toilet, because the bill goes up, with a computer minding the store, it won't catch it.

In the recent past, on electronic systems, it paid everyone multiple times. The software vendors just blame each other, and you get to clean up the mess. Nevermind that the FEES keep going up.

Plus as TT has pointed out, we give people jobs working in their mail rooms. I don't see that as a bad thing.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:57 pm

I recommend mailing checks at the post office when possible, or putting them out close to the pick up time if you mail them from home.

Like audiophile pointed out, many small businesses require mailing of checks.

It might be wise to use electronic payment whenever possible.

I don't like automatic withdrawal, because it often allows cable, satellite, and cellular services to sneakily increase fees, sometimes incrementally every month, like the lobster in the pot. You might not notice for a while.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:04 am

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) - There is a new warning from the U.S. Postal Service: Do not send checks through the mail.

Americans wrote 3.4 billion checks last year, according to the Federal Reserve, and many of them end up in the U.S. Postal Service to pay bills for one thing or another.

Now, the post office is warning its users: Do not put checks in the mail.
Almost sounds like a Babylon Bee satire.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:52 am

Ben Zonia wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:57 pm
I recommend mailing checks at the post office when possible, or putting them out close to the pick up time if you mail them from home.

Like audiophile pointed out, many small businesses require mailing of checks.

It might be wise to use electronic payment whenever possible.

I don't like automatic withdrawal, because it often allows cable, satellite, and cellular services to sneakily increase fees, sometimes incrementally every month, like the lobster in the pot. You might not notice for a while.
You'd have to be a pretty stupid trumptard to NOT watch your account daily...

Oh...
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:52 am

audiophile wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:28 pm
This is advantage of paper check, the system old but has multiple checks-and-balances...
I see what you did there.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:26 pm

Just found out that there was a Post Office outside mailbox that was broken into around Memorial Day. It is still out of service. Asked to comment, a citizen was told by a Postmaster that he couldn't comment. You might consider mailing inside 24 hour lobbies. Another security measure is to take them to the window, and ask them to hand stamp it and put it in their inside outgoing container.

-Author Unknown

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic