Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

No rain for weeks

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
bmw

No rain for weeks

Post by bmw » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:32 am

I know there's been a few very isolated areas in the state that have had a few shots of rain, but many areas haven't seen a drop of rain in about a month, and the outlook for the rest of June is very, very dry. There was a campfire that got out of control a few days ago in Grayling that burned up 3 square miles of land. My yard is already turning brown.

Most of the state is going to be in quite the drought by the end of the month if the forecast holds true. Outside of a chance for some parts of the state to maybe get a tenth of an inch this coming weekend, there's just not much rain to speak of, at least in the next few weeks.

Rate This

Re: No rain for weeks

Post by Rate This » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:33 am

bmw wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:32 am
I know there's been a few very isolated areas in the state that have had a few shots of rain, but many areas haven't seen a drop of rain in about a month, and the outlook for the rest of June is very, very dry. There was a campfire that got out of control a few days ago in Grayling that burned up 3 square miles of land. My yard is already turning brown.

Most of the state is going to be in quite the drought by the end of the month if the forecast holds true. Outside of a chance for some parts of the state to maybe get a tenth of an inch this coming weekend, there's just not much rain to speak of, at least in the next few weeks.
So the long range models are still keeping us dry as far as the eye can see basically?

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:43 am

Less than a half inch of rain nearly state-wide over the next 16 days.

Very persistent ridge of high pressure has parked itself and doesn't want to move.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:58 am

Talked to my sister in Denver and it's been raining for 3 weeks. Highly unusual. Almost like something is changing the typical weather patterns.

The censorship king from out of state.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:59 am

bmw wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:43 am
Less than a half inch of rain nearly state-wide over the next 16 days.

Very persistent ridge of high pressure has parked itself and doesn't want to move.

What’s really interesting is that this is more or less an us thing… there’s tons of rain to our south and west. People compare this to 1988… I wonder if that was just us though or if it involved the whole Midwest?

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:06 am

The drought of 1988 didn't affect Michigan specifically all that much - it affected an arc that went west-to-east through Montana, the Dakotas, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and then more south through Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, Ohio, and Pennsylvania.

See here:

https://glenallenweather.com/upload/his ... 8/1988.pdf

The pattern this year is kind of similar except the ridge has parked itself further to the east and is affecting a smaller area - mainly, Michigan and southern Ontario. Kind of a bizarre pattern considering there aren't really any land features like Mountains to block rain from coming through here. This pattern for a week or two is nothing unusual, but we'll be at 6 weeks and counting before long.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:11 am

bmw wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:06 am
The drought of 1988 didn't affect Michigan specifically all that much - it affected an arc that went west-to-east through Montana, the Dakotas, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and then more south through Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, Ohio, and Pennsylvania.

See here:

https://glenallenweather.com/upload/his ... 8/1988.pdf

The pattern this year is kind of similar except the ridge has parked itself further to the east and is affecting a smaller area - mainly, Michigan and southern Ontario. Kind of a bizarre pattern considering there aren't really any land features like Mountains to block rain from coming through here. This pattern for a week or two is nothing unusual, but we'll be at 6 weeks and counting before long.
Good point. It’s kind of a mini drought… us and Ontario makes for kind of a compact drought area…

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:13 am

Same here in south-west Ontario. My lawn is brown.

Toronto and points east of there have had plenty of rain

Admitting you have a problem is the second step. The first step is finding a problem you really enjoy.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:31 am

They are projecting an El Nino pattern this year which should give California more rain than usual.

I just moved from Southern to Central California and don't really know what to expect weather wise on a typical basis.

The censorship king from out of state.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:09 am

And El Nino usually means less than average precip over the Great Lakes. Michigan soon to be a desert.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:40 am

bmw wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:09 am
And El Nino usually means less than average precip over the Great Lakes. Michigan soon to be a desert.
The projections were for above average rain though… weird.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:20 pm

Good. I don't gotta mow.

Women spend more time wondering what men are thinking about than men spend actually thinking.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:26 pm

Round Six wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:20 pm
Good. I don't gotta mow.
Bad. I gotta water more to keep things lush.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:23 pm

There simply is no tropical moisture making it into this part of the country. It's been an arrid late spring. Frontal systems have had little to no moisture with which to work. Some of the better convective activity in recent days has been across the prairie provinces of Canada eastward into Manitoba, believe it or not.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:51 pm

We have had several great drenches lately, but they could be considered lake effect when the temps get north of 85.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic