Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

No rain for weeks

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Mega Hertz

Re: No rain for weeks

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:41 pm

Bryce wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:26 pm
Round Six wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:20 pm
Good. I don't gotta mow.
Bad. I gotta water more to keep things lush.
Worse. For the last two weeks, the city of Brighton has been doing "work", meaning we're playing the ol' "water your lawn on even days if your address ends in an even number..." dance.

Fortunately, they lifted it today. We've been doing a lot of work in the backyard and now isn't the best time to have a drought. For work, it's great. For home, not so much.

I seem to recall 1988 and 1999 as very hot, dry summers.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:08 am

There's finally some hope for some rain....very recent model runs are hinting at a developing low pressure that may move slowly through the area this coming Monday, possibly dropping 2-4 inches in localized areas of the lower peninsula (higher changes in southeast MI).

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:02 pm

When you read this sentence:

Five states were under red flag warnings Tuesday morning due to hot, dry and unstable conditions, the National Weather Service said.

.....you probably don't think of these states:

Parts of Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Michigan, Washington and Alaska will remain under the warning until 8-10 p.m. local time, the weather service said.

But of course climate change is a leftist rumor.

The censorship king from out of state.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:45 pm

6 weeks of weather doesn't exactly constitute "climate."

Not to mention, Michigan has actually been slightly above its 100-year precipitation average for most years since 2000.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:49 pm

bmw wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:45 pm

Not to mention, Michigan has actually been slightly above its 100-year precipitation average for most years since 2000.
You're an analytical guy. Why do you think wildfires are increasing yearly in intensity, severity, size and duration?

And while we're at it, what's your explanation for this: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 289362007/
Last edited by Honeyman on Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The censorship king from out of state.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:59 pm

Canada is on fire all over the country.

Admitting you have a problem is the second step. The first step is finding a problem you really enjoy.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:55 pm

It looks like in Toledo there's a 40% chance of storms on Sunday. It's been sunny here for a few weeks now, but today it's a bit overcast.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:09 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:49 pm
bmw wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:45 pm

You're an analytical guy. Why do you think wildfires are increasing yearly in intensity, severity, size and duration?

And while we're at it, what's your explanation for this: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 289362007/
To be clear, I'm not challenging the assertion that the climate is changing. It is always changing. I'm not even challenging the assertion that the activities of man is a contributing factor. What I'm not convinced of is the idea that we can say with our current technology with any degree of certainty or accuracy the extent to which man's behavior is affecting the world's climate.

tigerwings

Post by tigerwings » Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:59 pm

[quote=Honeyman post_id=743215 time=1685971873 user_id=8914]
They are projecting an El Nino pattern this year which should give California more rain than usual.

I just moved from Southern to Central California and don't really know what to expect weather wise on a typical basis.
[/quote]

The 2 years I was in the Sacramento area the last rain in 2017 was June 8th, next rain was Oct 20. In 2018, Last rain was around April 6th, next rain was Oct 3. Last rain in 2109 was about May 20, I left in June.

I think the last few years I lived downriver it didn't seem to rain between Memorial day and the 4th.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.

― Seneca

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:26 pm

I'm encouraged by the rain chances for Sunday and Monday. They look pretty good right now. That's still a looooong way away, though.

The below average temps this week will help temper the ill effects from the current dry streak and should make watering more effective.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:21 am

The systems rolling thru the region from today through Tuesday look moisture starved and somewhat disorganized. That's very bad news. Most areas across central and southern lower MI will see 0.25 inch or less of precip from the system crossing the region today & tonight. I suspect some areas will see no measurable rainfall.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:54 am

Starting to remind me of the summer of 1988. I remember feeling real pleasure that summer when some raindrops fell after a long stretch of nothing.

https://weatherspark.com/h/s/146720/198 ... s-Rainfall

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:46 pm

The precip shield on radar is similar in shape to a winter or early spring storm. Unusual looking axis for this time of year.

Portions of OH saw decent rainfall today, more or less consistent with recent model runs. A bit of that moisture is advecting into Metro Detroit as we speak (also consistent with recent model runs). Maybe some areas will eek out closer to a half inch of total precip.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:17 am

Honeyman wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:02 pm

But of course climate change is a leftist rumor.
There is no argument that the planet is warming. It's done so five times in researchable history, 3 of which eliminated 75% of animal life. (There is an interesting display on this at Kirtland Community College in Gaylord). Man has had a hand in it...but life as we know it would not have been possible, nor the industrial revolution. We didn't know what we didn't know. We will be among the first to go as a result.

Only a fool would blame leftist thinking for that part of the alarm. It's fact.

What is the largely leftist agenda is the misinformation that we can stop or reverse it. The proliferation of coal plants present and still being built in India and China make our efforts to shut a few down here numerically insignificant. Elimination of nuclear plants that provide HARD power when it's dark or there is no wind is foolish. Our electrical generation and delivery infrastructure is no where NEAR the level that is required for the coming "mandated" phase out of conventional automobile engines. Mandating the elimination of fossil fuels before other techs are ready for the load is simply unicorns and other magical thinking.

Somewhere, there is a money trail to the thinking that we can stop or reverse it, and some are supporting it for that reason. There is a payday in there somewhere for some folks.

In my thinking, the reality of this pales in comparison to rogue nations like North Korea playing with nuclear weapons, and the US and China on the brink of a hot war over Taiwan. I suspect our 'climate change' issues will not be a major concern when these problems ignite.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:26 am

Liberals never let a crisis go to waste.

The Climate Lobby Is Openly Plotting To Steal Our Freedom:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/ ... r-AA1cpfZl

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic