Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Blue Bird WorkersVote to Join Union

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Turkeytop

Blue Bird WorkersVote to Join Union

Post by Turkeytop » Sun May 14, 2023 8:39 pm

Workers at Blue Bird school bus plant in GA vote to Unionize

https://georgialawnews.com/rural-georgi ... -unionize/

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

TC Talks

Re: Blue Bird WorkersVote to Join Union

Post by TC Talks » Sun May 14, 2023 11:45 pm

Excellent score, the south is finally coming around.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon May 15, 2023 1:06 am

Biden put some teeth into the Inflation Reduction Act. Helps workers to organize.

kager

Post by kager » Wed May 17, 2023 10:37 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 1:06 am
Biden put some teeth into the Inflation Reduction Act. Helps workers to organize.
Subtle.

Removing that:

Rural Georgia factory crammed with federal funds votes to unionize
The three bills that make up this investment include a $1 trillion infrastructure package, a $280 billion measure to revitalize a domestic semiconductor industry, and the Inflation Reduction Act, which provides $370 billion for clean energy to combat climate change.

Each of the bills included language designed to help unions expand their membership...
Some mighty fine dental work there.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed May 17, 2023 11:22 am

kager wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 10:37 am
Turkeytop wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 1:06 am
Subtle.

Removing that:

Rural Georgia factory crammed with federal funds votes to unionize
The three bills that make up this investment include a $1 trillion infrastructure package, a $280 billion measure to revitalize a domestic semiconductor industry, and the Inflation Reduction Act, which provides $370 billion for clean energy to combat climate change.

Each of the bills included language designed to help unions expand their membership...
Some mighty fine dental work there.
No different than any other bill with some sort of specific project or goal tucked in it. The sausage making is not pretty.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed May 17, 2023 3:12 pm

They also required companies to “commit to remaining neutral in any organizing campaign and/or to voluntarily recognize a union on the basis of majority support”. And under the rules of the Infrastructure Act, no federal money can be used to thwart a union election
It's merely a committment by the Company to obey the laws already on the books. Laws that prevent Employers from interfering with the employees right to organize a Union. Laws that require the Employer to recognize the Union.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Fri May 19, 2023 11:26 am

Look for higher school taxes in the short term paying for increased bus costs as a result, new and probably better offerings from offshore bus manufacturers, and eventual whining from BlueBird about the inability to compete.

More less the pattern of the what happened to the domestic car market. Might make more sense just to cut to the chase and close BlueBird now and avoid the wait.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri May 19, 2023 1:22 pm

Plate Cap wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 11:26 am
Look for higher school taxes in the short term paying for increased bus costs as a result, new and probably better offerings from offshore bus manufacturers, and eventual whining from BlueBird about the inability to compete.

More less the pattern of the what happened to the domestic car market. Might make more sense just to cut to the chase and close BlueBird now and avoid the wait.
IC Bus and Thomas are Union too. The big 3 have a neat lock on the market. You also have Lion building electrics. Don’t expect foreign competition because there isn’t any and the rest of the world doesn’t do things this way bus wise.

The auto companies had a lot of issues beyond the unions… arrogance… shitty products… poor reliability… making the same car six subtlely different ways… bean counting molecules on the beans… I mean they did it to themselves.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri May 19, 2023 1:47 pm

Rate This wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 1:22 pm

IC Bus and Thomas are Union too. The big 3 have a neat lock on the market. You also have Lion building electrics. Don’t expect foreign competition because there isn’t any and the rest of the world doesn’t do things this way bus wise.

The auto companies had a lot of issues beyond the unions… arrogance… shitty products… poor reliability… making the same car six subtlely different ways… bean counting molecules on the beans… I mean they did it to themselves.
The big 3 made the decision to surrender the passenger car market to the offshore producers and to build only for the more lucrative truck and SUV market. Now, if someone want to buy a regular car, it has to be an import

Plate Cap wrote:

So, we're left with two choices. Either surrender the market to the offshore producers or outlaw collective bargaining in North America

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri May 19, 2023 2:45 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 1:47 pm
Rate This wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 1:22 pm

The big 3 made the decision to surrender the passenger car market to the offshore producers and to build only for the more lucrative truck and SUV market. Now, if someone want to buy a regular car, it has to be an import

Plate Cap wrote:

So, we're left with two choices. Either surrender the market to the offshore producers or outlaw collective bargaining in North America
They surrendered after 50+ years of sheer incompetence.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri May 19, 2023 3:59 pm

I only buy Union Built, North American vehicles. I'm perfectly satisfied with their products.

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Sat May 27, 2023 12:03 am

Good for Blue Bird. Without a contract, your nothing but a day worker.

I've had no luck with cars from The Big 3, however I blame the idiots who were running the companies more then the workers and yes I know there were/are bad apples, that's anyplace. I'd also note, at the plant in Chattanooga TN where my VW Passat was built, VW did not try to stop the union. In fact there was plans to set up the plant like the ones in Europe.

It wasn't VW, it was right wing union busting supporting politicians sticking there noses where they didn't belong. As par for course in the south, the anti union side brought race into the whole thing and the civil war SMH. The union lost but not by a large landslide if I recall.

So on this question, I don't feel guilty about driving a VW in terms of being pro or non union.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat May 27, 2023 12:43 am

VW did exactly what an employer should do during an organizing drive. They took a neutral, hands off aproach. The TN politicians regarded that as subversive or unAmerican.

Toyota has two plants in Ontario. They have a strange attitude regarding Unions. They don't want a Union in their plant. But whenever they hire contractors to do work in their facilities, they always hire Union contractors.

My Union represents the security guards who work at the Toyota plants. I had to attend a meeting there once. The Toyota management was very gracious. Gave me a tour of the plant

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Sat May 27, 2023 9:12 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 12:43 am
VW did exactly what an employer should do during an organizing drive. They took a neutral, hands off aproach. The TN politicians regarded that as subversive or unAmerican.

Toyota has two plants in Ontario. They have a strange attitude regarding Unions. They don't want a Union in their plant. But whenever they hire contractors to do work in their facilities, they always hire Union contractors.

My Union represents the security guards who work at the Toyota plants. I had to attend a meeting there once. The Toyota management was very gracious. Gave me a tour of the plant
Nice! thanks for sharing. Always kinda cool to see how things work.

I work for a very anti-union company and some of the stuff I've heard is just outright lies.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat May 27, 2023 1:06 pm

Cars from the big three with American manufactured parts in terms of powertrain in many instances are better than several imported brands.

Toyota (including Lexus), Mazda and Honda (including Acura) are really the only import nameplates that I'd call "generally reliable."

The South Koreans make garbage engines in many cases. The European cars can be overly complex to fix (and parts can be very expensive). Nissan has been junk for the past two decades. Subarus can be touchy once they near or exceed 100,000 miles.

Most issues with American cars can be traced to poor engineering or technology implementation, not poor assembly. The white collar folks with college degrees are much more responsible for those issues than rank and file blue collar workers. There are some unethical pieces of shit in the automotive engineering ranks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic