Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Hollywood TV & movie strike

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
matt1

Hollywood TV & movie strike

Post by matt1 » Wed May 03, 2023 2:35 am

Round Six

Re: Hollywood TV & movie strike

Post by Round Six » Wed May 03, 2023 4:16 am

matt1 wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 2:35 am
First since 2008!! https://www.cbsnews.com/news/strike-wri ... g-era-pay/
I'm open for opinions.
Is this really a BIG deal? I watched Lester last night. The strike was the lead story. And they carried on for almost 10 minutes reporting about it.

It's interesting news. I acknowledge because it's the entertainment industry, it's about them too. And I'm confident our local news will be breathlessly telling us all about it this morning.

But I just don't see it as being nearly as important as the media is reporting it.

Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Wed May 03, 2023 5:58 am

Round Six wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 4:16 am
matt1 wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 2:35 am
First since 2008!! https://www.cbsnews.com/news/strike-wri ... g-era-pay/
I'm open for opinions.
Is this really a BIG deal? I watched Lester last night. The strike was the lead story. And they carried on for almost 10 minutes reporting about it.
[...]
But I just don't see it as being nearly as important as the media is reporting it.
Where in hell do you think all these shows begin, from sitting on the toilet? (Never mind, don't answer that! :razz ) They begin with a blank sheet of paper, or these days, a blank computer screen. Everything subsequent stems from someone dreaming the dream and hoping like hell that vision comes to fruition. Yes, it is a BIG deal.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Wed May 03, 2023 10:31 am

From the article linked:

"Deadline reports that "The Late Show with Stephen Colbert," "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" and "The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon" are stopping production beginning on Tuesday."

As Graham Wellington wrote on this board a while back, I'm not sure it should take a full cadre of writers to produce this sort of thing:

Trump bad! HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Trumps orange! HAHAHA WOOO HAHA!

Republicans dumb! HAHAHA clap clap clap

Abortion! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed May 03, 2023 11:16 am

Plate Cap wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 10:31 am
From the article linked:

"Deadline reports that "The Late Show with Stephen Colbert," "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" and "The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon" are stopping production beginning on Tuesday."

As Graham Wellington wrote on this board a while back, I'm not sure it should take a full cadre of writers to produce this sort of thing:

Trump bad! HAHAHAHAHAHA!

You are part of the simpleton alliance here in the board. You honestly think that is what happens on late night talk programming?

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Wed May 03, 2023 2:15 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 11:16 am
Plate Cap wrote:
From the article linked:

Trump bad! HAHAHAHAHAHA!

You are part of the simpleton alliance here in the board. You honestly think that is what happens on late night talk programming?
As the Head Simpleton and self-proclaimed leader of the Alliance, please educate myself and others about the creative wonderland known as late night talk shows.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Wed May 03, 2023 2:18 pm

moldyoldie wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 5:58 am
Where in hell do you think all these shows begin, from sitting on the toilet? (Never mind, don't answer that! :razz ) They begin with a blank sheet of paper, or these days, a blank computer screen. Everything subsequent stems from someone dreaming the dream and hoping like hell that vision comes to fruition. Yes, it is a BIG deal.
I know how shows are created.

I suppose you and I just see the absence of first run TV shows differently. Your OMG because Chicago Fire or Jimmy Kimmel will be a rerun is interesting.

Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

bmw

Post by bmw » Wed May 03, 2023 5:32 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 11:16 am
Plate Cap wrote:
Trump bad! HAHAHAHAHAHA!

His summary isn't far off.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed May 03, 2023 6:09 pm

Last night hosts make fun of stupidity. There is plenty of that coming from the circus known as Trump. Given the amount of criminal activity he has likely committed and been accused of commiting, he has earned it.

Late night audiences more likely lean progressive.

Conservatives have AM radio and the slew of prosperity faith and cops style programming.

Everyone gets what they want.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Wed May 03, 2023 7:19 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 6:09 pm
Last night hosts make fun of stupidity. There is plenty of that coming from the circus known as Trump. Given the amount of criminal activity he has likely committed and been accused of commiting, he has earned it.

Conservatives have AM radio and the slew of prosperity faith and cops style programming.

So basically, my take on late night TV is correct.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed May 03, 2023 7:40 pm

No, they are clever. My advice? No need to criticize that which you don't understand.

― Noam Chomsky

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed May 03, 2023 7:57 pm

Graham Wellington wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 7:19 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 6:09 pm

So basically, my take on late night TV is correct.
Yes, it was spot on.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed May 03, 2023 8:34 pm

Plate Cap wrote:
From the article linked:

Trump bad! HAHAHAHAHAHA!

I just can't imagine what it feels like to be victimized all the time. You guys just cannot catch a break!

Here, let me help:

"The left": boooooooooo

"Democrats": grrrrrrrrrr

"Joe Biden": rawrrrrrrr

"Blacks, gays, trans, Mexicans, the media, the government, big tech, liberals, Muslims, newspapers, cable news, my neighbor, my neighbor's dog, my neighbor's garbage cans are all out to get ME!": YEAHHHHHHH WOOOOOOO

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed May 03, 2023 10:23 pm

Gutfeld is most overjoyed with this development. He beat the networks on some nights already. Now, with his show being new and on topic he's sure to cash in against re runs.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Wed May 03, 2023 10:37 pm

Bryce wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 10:23 pm
Gutfeld is most overjoyed with this development. He beat the networks on some nights already. Now, with his show being new and on topic he's sure to cash in against re runs.
It is sort of interesting that every late night host can't just wing it without writers. For the most part, isn't that what Colbert and Kimmel have been doing all along? Stand there and blurt out bar talk.

So Gutfeld can still do it, while the others lack the gray matter.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic