Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Best fast food French fries?

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Round Six

Re: Best fast food French fries?

Post by Round Six » Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:47 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:58 am
McD in Florida now only allows ordering on the touch screen kiosk or the ap. I go to Wendy's.
Walked into McDonald's just now.
Little girl standing at the register waiting for customers.
I paid ca$h.

Women spend more time wondering what men are thinking about than men spend actually thinking.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:23 am

Round Six wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:47 am
Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:58 am
McD in Florida now only allows ordering on the touch screen kiosk or the ap. I go to Wendy's.
Walked into McDonald's just now.
Little girl standing at the register waiting for customers.
I paid ca$h.
So the guy in Florida lied to me, He said they're rolling out that new rule Nationwide.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:33 am

Give 'em time. At some point their entire franchise will be nearly 100% automated, as will all fast food. Robots never call in sick (they may break down on occasion), never complain about their working conditions, can work more than 8 hours a day, and don't require a wage. Bottom line - they're cheaper than hiring real people at today's minimum wage.

And I doubt that I'm exaggerating. There will be a day in the future when every fast food building has 1 single person inside - the person watching/maintaining the machinery/robots.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:13 am

Next, they'll be wanting us to cook our own food.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:38 am

One chain that hasn't been mentioned here that makes great fries is Penn Station, probably one of the only sub sandwich chains that offers them.
Agreed. Got one near my house.

Sometimes their fries are a little overcooked. On the whole, though, they're pretty darn good.

Tubby's - a Metro Detroit sub sandwich chain - sells fries, too. Theirs are pretty lousy. Del Taco also sells fries, and I'd describe theirs as mediocre.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:45 am

https://www.thedailymeal.com/1235024/th ... es-ranked/

How the hell did BK rank #2 on this list but In-and-Out rank only #10?!!! WTF?

Also, many noteworthy chains weren't even mentioned, such as Carl's Jr. / Hardees, Rally's / Checker's, A&W, Sonic, Culver's, and the absolutely phenomenal Whataburger.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:10 pm

Although I don't enjoy the order kiosks either, I don't understand the unhappiness that I'm reading here towards the operators of the restaurants.

We can have either the traditional model that has worked for years....that being workers just entering the work force as young people, or retirees looking for additional income, and pay them according to the job they are doing................

..........or be required to pay such workers a "living wage".

Since the latter is not sustainable for delivering a $2 hamburger, automation is the only viable option. Although some love to vilify 'the man', these restaurants are the multi-million dollar investments of someone, and if money can't be made with them, the investments are better placed in savings bonds after closing the restaurant. This isn't a social experiment or a theoretic exercise. It's simple dollars and cents. Some here want to have union-waged workers everywhere, but are unhappy when the result of that are changes to the traditional norm that allows the owner to still make a reasonable return on his investment. You can't have it both ways. McDonald's is not a charity operation nor is it a bottomless pit unsustainably funded by the government to pretend some social theory actually works.

The auto industry is going/went through precisely the same thing, and is the reason for off-shoring the assembly process. People will do the job for less money elsewhere. There are some on this message board pretending to be innocent, wide-eyed, non-technical people, wandering through daily life, who pretend to be baffled by these changes. Those same people will not pay significantly more for something they can get for less, but seem to expect McDonald's to do so in order to preserve the norm of 'the good old days'.

Consumers and unionists simply cannot have their cake and eat it too. They can't get a $2 hamburger served with a big smile by someone making $25 an hour. The hamburgers can't leave the store fast enough to make that work. The slope is slippery and we are already well past the tipping point.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:16 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:45 am

How the hell did BK rank #2 on this list but In-and-Out rank only #10?!!! WTF?

Also, many noteworthy chains weren't even mentioned, such as Carl's Jr. / Hardees, Rally's / Checker's, A&W, Sonic, Culver's, and the absolutely phenomenal Whataburger.
I don't have the answer, but BK really does try to please. The 'have it your way' is pretty well embraced, and it's why, when I eat fast food, I look for one. Rings instead of fries? Piled with pickles? An app that damn near gives food away? They have me covered.

The others you mentioned are also good...but CJ's / Hardees as well as Whataburger are very regional, A&W seems to just be hanging on, and Culvers is not so much the traditional fast food model.

Remember Wuv's? Loved those burgers.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:58 pm

Plate Cap wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:10 pm
Although I don't enjoy the order kiosks either, I don't understand the unhappiness that I'm reading here towards the operators of the restaurants.

We can have either the traditional model that has worked for years....that being workers just entering the work force as young people, or retirees looking for additional income, and pay them according to the job they are doing................

..........or be required to pay such workers a "living wage".

Since the latter is not sustainable for delivering a $2 hamburger, automation is the only viable option. Although some love to vilify 'the man', these restaurants are the multi-million dollar investments of someone, and if money can't be made with them, the investments are better placed in savings bonds after closing the restaurant. This isn't a social experiment or a theoretic exercise. It's simple dollars and cents. Some here want to have union-waged workers everywhere, but are unhappy when the result of that are changes to the traditional norm that allows the owner to still make a reasonable return on his investment. You can't have it both ways. McDonald's is not a charity operation nor is it a bottomless pit unsustainably funded by the government to pretend some social theory actually works.

The auto industry is going/went through precisely the same thing, and is the reason for off-shoring the assembly process. People will do the job for less money elsewhere. There are some on this message board pretending to be innocent, wide-eyed, non-technical people, wandering through daily life, who pretend to be baffled by these changes. Those same people will not pay significantly more for something they can get for less, but seem to expect McDonald's to do so in order to preserve the norm of 'the good old days'.

Consumers and unionists simply cannot have their cake and eat it too. They can't get a $2 hamburger served with a big smile by someone making $25 an hour. The hamburgers can't leave the store fast enough to make that work. The slope is slippery and we are already well past the tipping point.
No one can point to anywhere on this board where I have ever objected to the price of anything. If I have to pay extra for my burger to adequately compensate the human who serves me, I'm OK with that.

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:04 pm

There are a couple of Culvers not too terribly far from me, but I've never been there. I've heard of Whataburger but I've never been out west. One chain I do like when I go to visit family down south is Zaxby's.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:23 pm

Carl's / Hardee's (same restaurant, different name) has locations in 44 states.

In-N-Out, which was included in the survey, only has restaurants in about a half dozen states, with the overwhelming majority being in California.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:38 pm

In-N-Out is the only fast food place I ever frequent and their fries are not very good.

The censorship king from out of state.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:12 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:23 am
So the guy in Florida lied to me, He said they're rolling out that new rule Nationwide.
Don't get me wrong. They would like that. Creates an extra set of hands to get the food out.
But as long as kiosks has some befuddled person standing in front of it for 5 minutes not being able to to figure what to do, there will always be in person walk up ordering.

Women spend more time wondering what men are thinking about than men spend actually thinking.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:26 pm

Round Six wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:12 pm

But as long as kiosks has some befuddled person standing in front of it for 5 minutes not being able to to figure what to do, there will always be in person walk up ordering.
Not in Seminole FL.

But that gives me an idea. Stand befuddled at the kiosk and see how long the line gets behind me, before they open up an order desk.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:56 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:21 am
There's a chain in Canada called Harvey's. Their fries are the very best. Theiir burgers too.

Trouble is, my wife doesn't agree with me. So we usually end up at McD.
I got food poisoning when we went to Harvey's and so did my brother. We were on vacation at Wheels Inn, and it sucked. They are on my bad list.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic