Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Supply Chain Issues

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Turkeytop

Supply Chain Issues

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:32 pm

Shortages are still a real thing here in Florida. A lot of empty shelf space in the stores.

Went in last week to buy a new bicycle. I had to order it. The guy said it would probably take about two weeks.

Back up at home everything is back in stock but prices have gone crazy. I could probably have gone into a store up there, bought the bike and taken it home the same day. But instead of $650. it would have been about $900.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

kager

Re: Supply Chain Issues

Post by kager » Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:17 pm

Aye, but the GST/HST you'da paid to bring it across the border woulda been immense.

Here in the US, eggs are already >$5 a dozen. Not the kind of crazy you are talking about for bikes, though. FWIW - US working class people wouldn't pay more than $250-300 for a bike. Anything higher would just be considered bragging rights. Or - horrors - middle class membership.

You could find a lightly used bike much cheaper in the Penis State on eBay, FB Marketplace or Craigslist, but that would require... well, research. And/Or - horrors again - an app.

BTW, how did you get to FL without letting us know via the blow-by-blow postings of an "Outta Here" thread? :blink
"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:41 pm

I'm not complaining about the price. I'm happy to pay $650 for good quality. I already have a $150 bike here that I bought a year ago. But being at home all year riding my good bike spoiled me. I want a good bike here too.

The one I have ordered is a Trek brand and is one of their cheapest models. There are Trek bikes priced upwards of $3000.
Last edited by Turkeytop on Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:44 pm

It was just a matter of time before the word egg appeared in this thread.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:39 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:41 pm
I'm not complaining about the price. I'm happy to pay $650 for good quality. I already have a $150 bike here that I bought a year ago. But being at home all year riding my good bike spoiled me. I want a good bike here too.

The one I have ordered is a Trek brand and is one of their cheapest models. There are Trek bikes priced upwards of $3000.
A working class TREK?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:11 am

Rate This wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:39 pm

A working class TREK?
Trek, Loft. A modest, unexciting, 7 speed, street bike. Perfect for the working class.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:22 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:11 am
Rate This wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:39 pm

A working class TREK?
Trek, Loft. A modest, unexciting, 7 speed, street bike. Perfect for the working class.

Not bad, it won’t even make you coffee…

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:16 am

Rate This wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:22 am

Not bad, it won’t even make you coffee…
I make my own coffee. The middle class goes to Starbucks.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:11 am

Some of the shortages are really bizarre. Like bottled water. Why would water be in short supply? When it is available, its more than double the price it is at home. Supply and demand. I guess that's capitalism.

Shoes. I haven't been shopping for footwear. But I notice, In the shoe section at the department store, the racks are almost empty.

Bicycle accesories are also scarce.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:55 am

Things are weird at retail stores... January is not a month when stores keep inventory, as a matter of fact, many are only focused on 3rd and 4th quarter these days.

Retail (outside big box stores) is suffering.

How many other customers were in the store?
Last edited by TC Talks on Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:00 am

It wasn't even that busy on the Friday after Thanksgiving.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:23 am

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:55 am
Things are weird at retail stores... January is not a month when stores keep inventory, as a matter of fact, many are only focused on 3rd and 4th quarter these days.

I wasn't referring to only one visit to one store. Things seem to be in short supply everywhere down here. It's no longer toilet paper and hand sanitizer. Now, it's things like bottled water and bicycle tires,

I took my wife to one of here favourite women's stores. She said there was hardly anything on the clothing racks.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:49 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:23 am
TC Talks wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:55 am

I wasn't referring to only one visit to one store. Things seem to be in short supply everywhere down here. It's no longer toilet paper and hand sanitizer. Now, it's things like bottled water and bicycle tires,

I took my wife to one of here favorite women's stores. She said there was hardly anything on the clothing racks.
I understand. WalMart is the largest seller of Bikes in the US. They have no supply chain issues. Smaller retailers will always be low in stock on everything in the first quarter. This is the impact Online sales has on small retail.

Additionally, interest rates impact inventory. All that merchandise in a store could also be viewed as "borrowed money" to the retailer or manufacturer. When interest rates are high, and an emerging competitor like Amazon exists, there is sizable risk to have inventory at times of the year when purchasing is low. We are also in a seasonal transition (when fashions move from winter to summer).

That's the reality of business, at least in the US

This bike is $300 and in stock online...
― Noam Chomsky

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:28 pm

Great choice TT. Trek makes a great bike, and all are made here in the good ol' U S of A. I've had about 5 during my lifetime, soon to be 6.
The censorship king from out of state.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:09 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:28 pm
Great choice TT. Trek makes a great bike, and all are made here in the good ol' U S of A. I've had about 5 during my lifetime, soon to be 6.
His bike is an Electra not a Trek
― Noam Chomsky

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic