Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Gen Z isn't driving

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
TC Talks

Gen Z isn't driving

Post by TC Talks » Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:17 pm

Gen Z is resisting car ownership and who can blame them. Maybe we are ready for car share and services like Uber more than we know.
In 1997, 43 percent of 16-year-olds and 62 percent of 17-year-olds had driver’s licenses. In 2020, those numbers had fallen to 25 percent and 45 percent. “Anecdotally, we’re hearing that younger people aren’t driving or getting their licenses as quickly as in the past,” said Mark Friedlander, the director of communications at the Insurance Information Institute.

The trend is most pronounced for teens, but even older members of Gen Z are lagging behind their millennial counterparts. In 1997, almost 90 percent of 20- to 25 year-olds had licenses; in 2020, it was only 80 percent.
For the first time ever, the average price of a new car has edged past $47,000, according to a new report from Kelley Blue Book and data from TrueCar, a CR partner that provides market analysis and an online marketplace for cars. Buying a car—just about any car—has been difficult for months now, and new data shows that new cars, like used ones, are costing consumers more than ever. Blame it all on the pandemic and the resulting global semiconductor shortage that has hobbled automakers’ ability to crank out new cars, crimping supply, pushing up prices, and limiting availability.

“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Mega Hertz

Re: Gen Z isn't driving

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:25 pm

My sister turns 20 in the spring. She does not have a car or her license, and hasn't even done driver's training yet.

This has nothing to do with the article above. My mother is a controlling narcissist who doesn't want her children having any freedom or independence. So...chalk that up as an L? Idk anymore.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Deleted User 15924

Post by Deleted User 15924 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:49 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:25 pm
My sister turns 20 in the spring. She does not have a car or her license, and hasn't even done driver's training yet.

This has nothing to do with the article above. My mother is a controlling narcissist who doesn't want her children having any freedom or independence. So...chalk that up as an L? Idk anymore.
I myself know several young adults that have no desire to get a license. And their family is perfectly fine with it. They would rather drive them wherever they want to go, instead of see their car insurance shoot up because every licensed driver in a household has to be listed.

SD45

Post by SD45 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:32 pm

My cousins twin daughters just turned 16. They were very excited to drive on their birthday

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:51 pm

Who needs independence and a car when you can just live at home with your parents and hide away in your bedroom while spending every minute of your free time with your face glued to your smart phone?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:44 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:51 pm
Who needs independence and a car when you can just live at home with your parents and hide away in your bedroom while spending every minute of your free time with your face glued to your smart phone?
Seems to be working out for you...
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:58 pm

bmw wrote:
Don't you think that might be a bit much? I work with a number of people aged 20-25 and they bust ass all day.
-TurkeyTop

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:06 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:58 pm
bmw wrote:
Don't you think that might be a bit much? I work with a number of people aged 20-25 and they bust ass all day.
I don't think the fact they fart all day has anything to do with work ethic in most industries, but you do you, I guess.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:25 pm

Neckbeard wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:06 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:58 pm
bmw wrote:
I don't think the fact they fart all day has anything to do with work ethic in most industries, but you do you, I guess.
That's BLOW ass, NB. BLOW ass.
-TurkeyTop

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:09 pm

My kids were on the road the day they turned 16!!!
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:14 pm

audiophile wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:09 pm
My kids were on the road the day they turned 16!!!
So the Mustang thing is real. Disgusting...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic