Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Built Ford Tough?

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
TC Talks

Built Ford Tough?

Post by TC Talks » Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:42 pm

This has been embarrassing for a while, and based on the newly launched F150 Lightening with it's bricking batteries, it's not stopping soon...

Anyone own a Ford?
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration recently released its 2022 recall data, and the biggest loser—if you define it that way—in 2022 was Ford. The automaker issued 67 recalls in 2022, or one roughly every 5.45 days. That’s more recalls than Hyundai, Kia, and Tesla combined.

Ford has continually struggled with new product launches, including serious problems like malfunctioning trailer brake controllers and EV battery contactor issues popping up here and there. It’s troubling news, but not exactly unexpected if you hold build quality in high regard.

On the other hand, when recalls are voluntary, it’s a sign that an automaker is taking the problems seriously and acting to fix them quickly instead of letting them sit—or put customers at risk. But nobody wants to spend a lot of money on a new car, only to have it sit in the shop awaiting parts and repairs.

This has been a Ford problem for a while now. As the Wall Street Journal put it earlier this year, “At Ford, Quality Is Now Problem 1.” The report highlighted how in 2021, Ford expected $1,041 per vehicle in warranty work compared to GM’s $713, along with the sheer quantity of recalls the Dearborn-based manufacturer is facing lately.

According to Ford Authority, CEO Jim Farley said that fixing Ford’s quality woes is “[…] going to take several years. We didn’t lose it in just one or two years. Until we fix quality, nothing else matters.”

While good build quality isn’t a guaranteed sign that a car is engineered safely, build quality is a good metric of general shits to give within the manufacturing and development process as it shows pride in work or lack thereof. Let me tell you, I’ve seen some lack thereof.

I had a very early fourth-generation Escape press car with the most deficiencies I’ve ever seen on a new gasoline-burning car. There was debris under the paint, the taillights were loose, excess fabric on the front seats was simply bunched up underneath like a full diaper, the stitching on the steering wheel wasn’t even remotely straight, and the headliner was fitted so poorly that I could touch the curtain airbag. I could’ve excused some of these issues if it were a dirt-cheap car from a company nobody’s ever heard of before, but this is a Ford.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Realist

Re: Built Ford Tough?

Post by Realist » Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:12 pm

Don’t own a Ford and would never own a Ford.

My employer rented to own 100’s of Ford Focus’ from between 2010-2018, mainly because they were made in Michigan. The transmission problems that have been well documented hit us hard and most of our Focus’ had these issues. The cars were horrible in quality and started falling apart at 50-60K mikes. Considering we keep these cars for either 10 years or 100K mikes (whichever cones first), that’s a major problem.

I talked to the person who orders these cars about 6 months ago when picking up a new to us used car. She told me that the only reason they didn’t pull all these Focud’ early (like they did with the Neons we bought 25 years ago) was we had so many, it would have glutted the market and drove down the price we get for them when we sell them.

Don’t even get me started on the Explorers and their engine and transmission issues….

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:23 am

I've never owned a Ford but my Uncle is a life long Ford man. I do like how Ford didn't take bailout money in 2008-09.

Many of the older Ford trucks were quite good back in the 90s and early 2000s. Now, If I want a pick up truck, I want a pick up. Not a bunch of wood and leather, basic interior, generous size bed, and reliable. Fords have always been a mixed bag IMO.

My Mom had a base model 94 Taurus, no frills car but very good. She worked in Surgery and had to take call on a regular basis, 1 weekend a month so having a decent car was a must. I learned how to drive on that car actually.

My Dad leased a 2005 Mercury Mountaineer(same thing as the explorer), nice vehicle but they didn't have it long enough to develop major troubles.

Focus's and Neon, garbage. Honda Civic all the way.

In the early 2000s, late 2000-Fall 2004, I worked for a Lincoln-Mercury dealer. The one I never cared for was The Ford Contour/ Mercury Mystic, we sold a lot of used ones and I always though the build quality was poor. Not mention we saw enough in the service department. Now The Lincoln Continental and The Lincoln LS, those were nice.

I've not had much luck with Domestic Vehicles in the past and these days they don't have anything I really want. Honda has treated me the best, recently I parted with a Honda Civic and decided to to give VW a shot, picked up a low mileage 2015 VW Passat(It was Built in Chattanooga TN) so we shall see how it goes.

I wanted an Audi A4(used of course) but had no luck in finding one I could afford that didn't have loads of miles, so I happen to stumble on The Passat and decided to go for it.

Big thing is, keeping up on your service schedule. I've always done my best to do so on all the cars I've owned, not to say one isn't going to have problems but many can be avoided simply by doing things on time.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:23 am

I have owned Audi's my entire adult life. The straight 5 cylinder was indestructible and the awd system is bulletproof. I have a few vintage Audi's and a daily right now.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:25 am

I own a Ford but am hopefully ditching it in first quarter. Am worried my trade-in value will go into the toilet, though, between now and then. The impending demise of Carvana and recent decision of CarMax to pause used car purchases has really taken a toll on trade-in values over the past 90 days. For my year, make, model, condition and mileage, the KBB trade-in value has already fallen by about $5,000 during that time.

The vehicle on which I placed a refundable deposit is scheduled to go into production in a couple weeks. If my trade-in value stays above a certain number, I'll move forward. If not, I'll keep what I have now.

No recalls on my current vehicle since accepting delivery in June 2019. The twin-turbo 2.7 V6 has no known significant issues, to the best of my knowledge. I am not a fan of the computer programming of the gear shifts of my current car, though, and the cabin features a couple cheapy plastic parts (such as around the visor swing arm).

I will say the native Ford navigation system is pretty good these days, the current generation of SYNC is quite respectable and button & switch placement is straight forward. Hard buttons for seek and tuning, both on the steering wheel and center stack. That's a luxury these days!

The heated seats get piping hot within a few minutes on even the coldest days. Seat cooling works like shit, though. Makes almost no difference on hot summer days.

FM radio reception and Sirius reception are both outstanding, but audio system sound quality on FM leaves something to be desired (especially in HD Radio mode).

Ford does make an outstanding panoramic roof, but that's a feature I honestly don't care about. If I regularly had kids riding in the back seat, I'd probably feel differently.

I will also say Ford's intelligent AWD system is commendable. Have never used it in deep snow or mud, but in medium snow and in sand, it functions almost effortlessly.

Stay far, far away from the current generation of the Ford Explorer, Ford Bronco, Ford Bronco Sport, and at least the all-gas version of the Escape.

Some early 2010's vintages of the Escape are outstanding. Most model years of the Fusion sedan were also very good. Ditto the Ford Edge (I did find body roll to be annoying in the SEL trim I previously leased).

Overall, I do have to say Chevy builds a modestly better vehicle than Ford right now. Certainly at entry-level price points, the Chevy options are more compelling. As much as I dislike the exterior looks of the Equinox, I'd choose that vehicle over the gas version of the Escape. Going up in price, I'd choose the Blazer over the Edge even though the Edge has a good reliability track record.

Current generation Chevy Silverado trucks are pieces of garbage, though. Avoid them. Also avoid anything Chevy makes with EV technology given recent issues with the Bolt until they prove themselves competent.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:11 am

TC Talks wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:23 am
I have owned Audi's my entire adult life. The straight 5 cylinder was indestructible and the awd system is bulletproof. I have a few vintage Audi's and a daily right now.
Nice. I've always like the timeless look and the tight feel of the steering and suspension.

Circle Seven

Post by Circle Seven » Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:43 am

TC Talks wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:42 pm
... The automaker issued 67 recalls in 2022, or one roughly every 5.45 days. That’s more recalls than Hyundai, Kia, and Tesla combined ....
As I read this portion of your post, the thought crossed my mind that Ford probably sells more cars and trucks in America than Hyundai, Kia and Tesla combined. Since what I quoted was towards the beginning of your post, I kept it in mind as I kept reading.

It made me ponder (and I don't know the answer), does the automaker that sells the most cars and trucks have the most recalls? Curious what the number of recalls per thousand sold would be?
You get the idea.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:01 pm

one recall roughly every 5.45 days
I'm not bothering with Tesla, but Ford isn't a leader globally by a long shot.
Kia Corporation announced today that it sold 2,777,056 vehicles in 2021

Hyundai Motor's 2021 global sales total 3.89 million units

The Detroit automaker Ford sold 1,905,955 vehicles in 2021, global sales added 245,000

― Noam Chomsky

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:44 am

Riff Raff wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:23 am
I've never owned a Ford but my Uncle is a life long Ford man. I do like how Ford didn't take bailout money in 2008-09.

Many of the older Ford trucks were quite good back in the 90s and early 2000s. Now, If I want a pick up truck, I want a pick up. Not a bunch of wood and leather, basic interior, generous size bed, and reliable. Fords have always been a mixed bag IMO.

My Mom had a base model 94 Taurus, no frills car but very good. She worked in Surgery and had to take call on a regular basis, 1 weekend a month so having a decent car was a must. I learned how to drive on that car actually.

My Dad leased a 2005 Mercury Mountaineer(same thing as the explorer), nice vehicle but they didn't have it long enough to develop major troubles.

In the early 2000s, late 2000-Fall 2004, I worked for a Lincoln-Mercury dealer. The one I never cared for was The Ford Contour/ Mercury Mystic, we sold a lot of used ones and I always though the build quality was poor. Not mention we saw enough in the service department. Now The Lincoln Continental and The Lincoln LS, those were nice.

I've not had much luck with Domestic Vehicles in the past and these days they don't have anything I really want. Honda has treated me the best, recently I parted with a Honda Civic and decided to to give VW a shot, picked up a low mileage 2015 VW Passat(It was Built in Chattanooga TN) so we shall see how it goes.

I wanted an Audi A4(used of course) but had no luck in finding one I could afford that didn't have loads of miles, so I happen to stumble on The Passat and decided to go for it.

Big thing is, keeping up on your service schedule. I've always done my best to do so on all the cars I've owned, not to say one isn't going to have problems but many can be avoided simply by doing things on time.
TDI or TSI??

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:44 pm

audiophile wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:44 am
Riff Raff wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:23 am

TDI or TSI??
It is a 2015 VW Passat TSI Limited. White on black

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic