Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 25 at 5:30p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The End of My Carlsberg Years

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Turkeytop

The End of My Carlsberg Years

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:40 pm

One of my favourite beers has always been Carlsberg. But it looks like my days of enjoying Carlsberg may be coming to an end,

Carlsberg is buying out Waterloo Brewing in Ontario. They are considering brewing their product for the Canadian Market in Waterloo.

I only drink Union Made beer. Waterloo Brewing is non-Union. I won't be drinking any of their product.
Carlsberg is buying Canada’s Waterloo Brewing for $144-million

Danish beer giant Carlsberg Group CABGY -0.88%decrease
is buying Canada’s Waterloo Brewing Ltd. WBR-T unchno change
for $144-million, the companies announced late Wednesday.

The $4-per-share all-cash deal, which represents a 19.4-per-cent premium to Waterloo’s Dec. 14 closing price, is by far the largest deal to buy a Canadian brewery in recent history. Waterloo, founded in 1984 as Ontario’s first craft brewery and based in Kitchener, Ont., produces Laker beer, LandShark Lager, various Seagram’s-branded products, as well as its namesake Waterloo Brewing lineup. Until mid-2019, the company was known as Brick Brewing Co. Ltd.

Shareholders must now vote on whether to approve the transaction, which the two companies expect to close in the first half of 2023.

It is the second time this year that a Danish brewer has agreed to purchase a Canadian beer producer. In July, Royal Unibrew – headquartered in the Danish town of Faxe – bought Toronto-based Amsterdam Brewery in a deal valued at $44-million.

Waterloo’s TSX-listed stock has lost more than half its value over the past 18 months, falling more than 57 per cent from a mid-2021 high of $7.88 a share to $3.35 a share as of Wednesday’s market close. The company’s total market value as of Wednesday’s close was roughly $120-million.

George H. Croft, who has been president and CEO of Waterloo Brewing since 2008, said in an interview that it was too early to determine what sort of role he will play at the new company.

“The new company is a Carlsberg company, it is not a Waterloo company and I understand that and am respectful of that,” he said. “I think the important message is this is a significant opportunity in the Canadian market and a significant opportunity for Carlsberg and I am excited to help in any way possible.”

For Carlsberg, buying Waterloo will provide the multibillion-dollar company with the ability to produce its products within Canada for the first time. It also represents the European brewer’s latest move to expand internationally, having paid US$130-million in June of 2020 for the Asian rights to the Brooklyn Brewery brand.

As part of its contract manufacturing business, Waterloo has already been producing Carlsberg’s Somersby Apple Cider for the Canadian market since late 2019. Anders Rud Jorgensen, managing director of Carlsberg Canada, said “the purpose will be to go into local production for our beer portfolio” but that the company is still “evaluating exactly which brands to produce” here.

Beer consumption in Canada has been steadily declining for several years. According to data from the Beer Canada trade association, the average Canadian of legal drinking age imbibed 69.3 litres in 2020, down nearly 13 per cent from the 2015 average of 79.3 litres per capita.

The total number of breweries in Canada had more than doubled, from 564 in 2015 to 1,210 by the end of 2020. The trend has led to widespread concerns among industry insiders of oversaturation as a growing number of rivals compete to supply a shrinking market.

The beer market in Canada is mature, Mr. Croft said, but it remains a category of significant size. Data from Statistics Canada show beer sales still tend to generate more than $9-billion a year countrywide.

“This allows Carlsberg and Waterloo Brewing to grow our business across Canada in a very aggressive manner,” Mr. Croft said. “It presents us with a remarkable opportunity to participate, compete and be effective in what I would call beyond beer, be it cider, ready-to-drink or non-alcoholic beverages.”
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busines ... 4-million/

Waterloo ON is 1156 miles from Niceville.

Last edited by Turkeytop on Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Matt

Re: The End of My Carlsberg Years

Post by Matt » Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:14 pm

What a TERRIBLE policy...

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:24 pm

I'll continue to drink and maybe stockpile some of the good, Union made product as long as it's still available.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:40 pm

It will take 6 to 8 months for local beer to be produced I predict.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:43 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:40 pm
It will take 6 to 8 months for local beer to be produced I predict.
It may take that long for the change of ownership to be completed.

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:02 am

I like Carlsberg don't love it, right now they have the limited time football(Soccer) cans. One that is expensive but so worth it is KEO, which is from Cyprus.

I always get this one called Almaza when I go this one Lebanese restaurant near my neck of the woods.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:00 am

Riff Raff wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:02 am
I like Carlsberg don't love it, right now they have the limited time football(Soccer) cans. One that is expensive but so worth it is KEO, which is from Cyprus.

I always get this one called Almaza when I go this one Lebanese restaurant near my neck of the woods.
I didn't know about the special can. I'll watch for it.

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:20 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:00 am
Riff Raff wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:02 am

I didn't know about the special can. I'll watch for it.
https://www.carlsberggroup.com/newsroom ... ion-packs/

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:54 am

Thanks

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:36 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:54 am
Thanks
My pleasure TT

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic