Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Uber Vs Taxi

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Circle Seven

Re: Uber Vs Taxi

Post by Circle Seven » Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:45 pm

km1125 wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:09 am
I know a couple folks that used to drive for Uber and now drive for LYFT. They LOVE the change and won't ever consider going back. I knew a few that did taxi and that was tough work. Probably much better in very limited situations, like airports or congested downtown areas.

However, it's been a couple years since I used a taxi and it was at an airport. In the time I waited in the line for the taxi, I probably could have called an Uber or Lyfft and got faster service!
Taxi is good tips if you don't mind working nights. Drunks needing a ride home tip well. I have friends claim they make great tips giving suburbanites round trips into the unsavory parts of town for drugs.

They say tired travelers needing late night taxi rides home from DTW tip well too. You can get a good portion of the money left over from the trip if you make an extra effort loading and unloading their bags for them.

I've also heard the same about driving shuttle bus at the airport. People coming home late at night are tired.

Get your ass outta the seat, load and unload their luggage, clear any snow off their car windows. Many airport shuttle drivers never take their seatbelt off and miss out on good tips.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:44 am

I've never taken an airport taxi. I've either gone black car or lyft. People using taxi simply don't have any experience because taxis are extremely more expensive much dirtier and you're stuck with giving a tip whether the driver deserves it or not.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:13 am

I agree completely.

Taxi drivers in really big cities are horrible drivers much of the time, and yes, some cabs are pretty gross inside. Some drivers, especially in New York, barely speak English.

Uber is pricey for short distances but I've not had a bad experience. I've only used it a few times.

Black car to/from the airport is pretty much the same price as a cab ride if not less expensive and the experience is much better, generally speaking.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:00 pm

here in Toledo Black & White Taxi was notorious for decades for terrible service. You'd call for a ride and they'd show up late, if at all. Uber and Lyft swooped in and took their business to the point where they had to introduce an app mimicking Uber.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:51 pm

Why can't it be like in the TV shows? Step into the street, wave your hand and a taxi stops for you. No 90 minute waits.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:10 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:51 pm
Why can't it be like in the TV shows? Step into the street, wave your hand and a taxi stops for you. No 90 minute waits.
Actually Lyft/Uber is the next best thing. You just hale them on your phone.

I use them all the time. If we're meeting friends for dinner 10 minutes away, I won't take the chance of driving home after having that extra bottle of wine. They are a great idea, simple to use, and a bargain in my eyes.

The censorship king from out of state.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic