Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

long-term look at the DTE rates

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
km1125

long-term look at the DTE rates

Post by km1125 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:50 am

Just finished up adding the last couple years of DTE bills to a tracking tool.

Every time DTE is looking for an increase, I'm wondering why. Their rates have steadily been increasing for 15 years!!

Here's a peek at their progression. This a simple "all-in" calculation... just take total DTE bill divided by kWh used that month.

This is "Cost per kilowatt", not the total bill. The average rate now in the USA is $0.15/kWh. We've been above that for YEARS. If you take out Hawaii and Alaska, we fit right in with the TOP TEN most expensive states in the nation.

Even though I cut my usage over the last 15 years, the bill still keeps going higher. Did a lot of efficiency improvements for the first 10 years but now the usage is creeping back up for the last 5 or so. The next big change would have to be a higher SEER A/C system, but not worth doing until the old one quits.
Last edited by km1125 on Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: long-term look at the DTE rates

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:10 pm

Great analysis.

Yet another reason to dislike DTE. They should reduce shareholder dividend payments and instead invest that money in infrastructure. Until that dividend is greatly reduced, state regulators should hold the line on rate increase requests.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:54 pm

Keep voting red and we all end up dead. Your crony capitalist corporatism is bankrupting the middle class, KLM. And that shit don't fly with me.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:06 pm

Consumers has a quiet ripoff program most rate payers are not aware of: June 1-Sept 30, M-F, 2P-7P you pay 150% on the basic electric fee (not the distribution charge).

It came in quietly, and most folks are not even aware it's there. I'm pretty careful; if I'm running A/C I try to pre-cool the house prior to 2 PM, and try and avoid using the electric oven until 7 PM. Even with being aware and careful, it still penalizes me about $7 a month. Chicken feed on an individual level, but..........do the numbers, and assume MOST people are not being so careful. It's a real windfall.

It's being touted as 'green' and a way to control summer consumption, but I believe it's just another profit center. I understand its in a pilot program with DTE now, and will roll out there soon.

For a good part of the state, it starts WELL before the A/C season starts (June 1), and ends WAY after it ends (Sept 30). Hell, many people are heating by then.

Nothing but a money grab. The electric companies have the MPSC in the palm of their hands.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:06 am

There was a time around a hundred or more years ago that the idea was public utilities… no profit involved. They may have been on to something.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic