Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

2021 Ford Broncos are rolling shitboxes

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
audiophile

Re: 2021 Ford Broncos are rolling shitboxes

Post by audiophile » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:44 am

Traverse is not really not that much bigger (~2') than an Equinox. My car is as long as Traverse!

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:28 pm

In a parking lot today, I saw a Lincoln Corsair. It looked the perfect size for me. Does anyone know where it is built?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Motown322

Post by Motown322 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:18 pm

Louisville Assembly Plant, I believe.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:40 pm

Motown322 wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:18 pm
Louisville Assembly Plant, I believe.

Perfect. Thank you

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:27 am

Meanwhile, over at the stupidest ev ever...
Ford has recalled 48,924 Mach-E electric crossovers built between May 27, 2020 and May 24, 2022 for high voltage contactors that could overheat and either open up or weld themselves shut. I don’t know about you, but that doesn’t exactly seem ideal to me. NHTSA’s Recall Report breaks down how high current through the contactors can lead to problems:

Direct Current (“DC”) fast charging and repeated wide open pedal events can cause the high voltage battery main contactors to overheat. Overheating may lead to arcing and deformation of the electrical contact surfaces, which can result in a contactor that remains open or a contactor that welds closed.

So how does a failed high voltage contactor manifest itself, and what are the next steps? Well, the first part is easy to answer. Mustang Mach-E models that experience high voltage contactor failure will typically display one of two failure signals. NHTSA recall documents break it down:

If the contactor opens while driving, a powertrain malfunction warning light will be illuminated and the vehicle will display ‘Stop Safely Now’ in the cluster when the vehicle experiences an immediate loss of motive power. Should the contactors weld closed while driving, a powertrain malfunction warning light will be illuminated on the next drive cycle, along with a no start condition.”

So, no big chance of fiery death, no sparks, rather undramatic. That doesn’t mean it’s not a pain to have a car crap out on the freeway, but it could definitely be worse. Since it kind of sucks to suffer this sort of failure, Automotive News reports that Ford’s issued a stop-sale on in-stock Mach-E units until they receive proper repair. So what about the fix? Well, it’s simple and complicated all at once. The simplicity comes by way of an over-the-air software update for the Secondary On-Board Diagnostic Control Module and Battery Energy Control Module. The complexity comes by questions of what the software update’s effect on performance might be. From NHTSA documentation:

The remedy for this program is a Secondary On-Board Diagnostic Control Module (SOBDMC) and Battery Energy Control Module (BECM) software update. Ford is anticipated to begin Over-The-Air (OTA) deployment to update the SOBDMC an BECM software for affected vehicles in July 2022. Alternatively, owners will have the option to take their vehicle to a Ford or Lincoln dealer to complete the software update. There will be no charge for this service.

Ford provided the general reimbursement plan for the cost of remedies paid for by vehicle owners prior to notification of a safety recall in May 2021. The ending date for reimbursement eligibility is estimated to be January 31, 2023

Given that fast charging and wide open throttle (WOT) events are causing the problem, I’m curious if the software updates will affect charging speed or overall vehicle performance. I’ve reached out to Ford for an answer and will keep you updated as further news arises. Honestly, as far as EV recalls go, this one doesn’t feel like a H*** deal. It certainly wouldn’t stop me from considering a Mach-E as they’re just so damn fun to drive for what they are.
From Autopian

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:26 am

In a parking lot today, I saw a Lincoln Corsair. It looked the perfect size for me. Does anyone know where it is built?
Lincoln vehicles are notorious for reliability issues. There's a reason their sales figures are abysmal despite being pretty good looking vehicles.

Expect electrical issues galore.

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/lincoln-is ... suv-brand/
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/lincoln-co ... dont-care/

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:00 am

Traverse is not really not that much bigger (~2') than an Equinox. My car is as long as Traverse!
It might seem counterintuitive, but two feet is considered a rather big difference in automotive circles and is noticeable in the cabin.

I am actually looking forward to the Detroit auto show this year and plan to attend, assuming it isn't canceled.

Vehicles that are of interest to me:
- 2023 Honda HR-V*
- 2023 Honda CR-V*
- 2022 or 2023 Mazda CX-50

*both re-designed for 2023 model year.

Ford is supposed to be coming out with a competitor to the Subaru Outback wagon in 2023, likely using the "Fusion" nameplate, but I've seen only a little hub-bub about that in recent months. I would love to see one of those on display at this September's auto show. Hopefully, that launch isn't the clusterf*ck that the recent Bronco and next-gen Explorer launches proved to be.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3992 ... gon-spied/

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:12 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:26 am

Lincoln vehicles are notorious for reliability issues. There's a reason their sales figures are abysmal despite being pretty good looking vehicles.

Expect electrical issues galore.

Thanks MW, and also, I've since learned, they're notoriously middle class.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:38 am

I'd even go so far as to say upper middle class!

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:34 pm

FWIW, a buddy of mine just got a new Corsair and loves it. I believe they have improved their reliability rating recently, but would defer to MW's expertise over mine.

All that said, it clearly is an upper middle class vehicle. Perhaps you can find a used Esteem like Saul Goodman.

The censorship king from out of state.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:40 pm

By the way, the stupidest EVs ever would be the death traps made by Tesla.

If one of the mainstream auto makers manufactured such dangerous vehicles, the NHTSA would order a recall. Because liberals in government love Tesla (for supposedly being "green"), they get a free pass.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/b-c-tesla-driver- ... -1.5914147

Oh, and the self-driving tech offered by Tesla is garbage.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:55 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:40 pm
By the way, the stupidest EVs ever would be the death traps made by Tesla.

If one of the mainstream auto makers manufactured such dangerous vehicles, the NHTSA would order a recall. Because liberals in government love Tesla (for supposedly being "green"), they get a free pass.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/b-c-tesla-driver- ... -1.5914147

Oh, and the self-driving tech offered by Tesla is garbage.
Starting to look for an EV SUV, MW. Anything you'd steer me towards? I really like the look of the VW id4, but nobody has one to drive or sit in. They are on a pre-order basis only and about 8-10 months out.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:00 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:38 am
I'd even go so far as to say upper middle class!

This upper and lower business is something I don't grasp. In the working class there is no upper or lower. We're all equal.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:12 pm

I hope your buddy still likes his Corsair eighteen months from now, Honeyman. They are attractive looking vehicles, undoubtedly, and have a very comfortable ride when functioning properly.
Starting to look for an EV SUV, MW. Anything you'd steer me towards? I really like the look of the VW id4, but nobody has one to drive or sit in. They are on a pre-order basis only and about 8-10 months out.
I'm the wrong guy to ask, I'm afraid. I'm not a fan of any of the pure EVs currently on the market. Too much of a "money pit" risk for me. Technology is too new. Not nearly enough charging stations available.

Among PHEVs, I'd stick to the Toyota products.

The Volkswagen PHEV products are popular in Europe, but I don't know enough about them to be able to express an educated opinion. I do not believe any Volkswagen PHEV products are available here in the U.S. (they are coming out with a pure EV, as Honeyman noted earlier).

Hyundai seems to be doing OK with its PHEVs so far, but their old school combustion engines are so prone to catching fire, I'd personally be leery of trusting them with PHEV technology.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:01 pm

Thanks MW. I have a Chevy Volt now, which is perfect for my current needs. 55+ miles before I need to use any gas works perfectly for my life style. I'll have to hit a gas station next week because we're headed to the mountains, and it'll be the first time since January....ready for sticker shock.

The current plug-in hybrids now only go about 25 electric.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic