Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Panhandling on the side of the road

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Deleted User 15783

Panhandling on the side of the road

Post by Deleted User 15783 » Sun May 01, 2022 9:46 am

Is it technically against the law to panhandle on the side of the road?
It is just starting near me. The city has, for a couple of weeks, allowed (or at least looked the other way) at one intersection. Now lo and behold a second person has popped up.

I just seem to have a "nip it in the bud" attitude about panhandling. I know this veers into being judgmental. But standing in front of a fast food that has Now Hiring signs? Hello?

Like I asked, is there some sort of statue against it? In the case of panhandling, you're not actually selling anything. So maybe soliciting without a license may not apply. But at least maybe loitering?

Deleted User 9015

Re: Panhandling on the side of the road

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Sun May 01, 2022 10:53 am

I've noticed this in Troy and in Sterling Heights. The funny thing is that at the corner of 18 and Dequindre there is an Arby's operating with limited hours because they need workers, a Taco Bell operating at limited hours because they need workers, a McDonalds operating with limited hours because they need workers, and a Krogers that, you guessed it, needs workers. These people stand out there all day so clearly they are able-bodied. I am all for helping people in need and there are people who beg who are in need, but this is human blight.

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Sun May 01, 2022 11:15 am

This is A BIG problem in Flint, especially out around I-75 and I-69. And people fall for this stuff. The panhandlers are nothing more than scammers. We watched these people once at I-75, exit 117B. They went behind a restaurant and got into their new BMW.

Deleted User 15783

Post by Deleted User 15783 » Sun May 01, 2022 1:54 pm

Thanks for the replies.
I'm thinking IF there are laws or statutes already in place that prohibit panhandling, why not enforce them?
If law enforcement is going to let panhandling slide, why not also allow rolling through a stop sign? Or look the other way when I let my lawn get high.

What I'm not sure of are there already statutes that prohibit it. Tomorrow I'm going to call a friend that sits on the Police and Fire Commission in a nearby town. He seems to know the answer to everything I ask him about.

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Sun May 01, 2022 3:38 pm

Considering how bad the city manager has become in sterling heights with bothering people about the smallest possible code violations, you'd think they would chase these people off. Considering all the bizarre shit the city has been spending on though, you'd think that their code violation writeups are aoney grab.

tigerwings

Post by tigerwings » Sun May 01, 2022 4:35 pm

When I lived in Denver I watched a shift change while sitting at a red light.

Realist

Post by Realist » Sun May 01, 2022 5:10 pm

I absolutely REFUSE to give anyone money panhandling on the side of the road or on a sidewalk. Have heard more than once from in laws, when they’re offered a meal instead of cash, that they want the money for the alcohol habit. 🙄🙄🙄🤬🤬🤬

On the other hand, I have seen people who are panhandling, look dirty and desperate. I’ve stopped and asked if they are hungry and have gotten a reply of yes. I’ve ran to a nearby McDonald’s and bought them a cheeseburger value meal, which they seemed very appreciative of.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Sun May 01, 2022 9:23 pm

McDonalds in Sanford, MI closed 1 week ago on Saturday at 8:00 that night (indoor part) but the drive thru was still open!!! Probably they run out of workers too!!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun May 01, 2022 9:26 pm

You can usually tell by looking if someone is really down and out or just a lazy bum. If the person is old or handicapped I'm more apt to offer them something than if the person is young, able bodied and wearing the latest $150 sneakers.

My wife is a softy. Once when we were in Florida an old lady, probably in her 80s was in the parking lot at Aldi asking people if she could return their carts for them and collect the quarter out of them. My wife gave her our cart plus a $5 bill.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Mon May 02, 2022 12:50 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 9:26 pm
You can usually tell by looking if someone is really down and out or just a lazy bum. If the person is old or handicapped I'm more apt to offer them something than if the person is young, able bodied and wearing the latest $150 sneakers.

My wife is a softy. Once when we were in Florida an old lady, probably in her 80s was in the parking lot at Aldi asking people if she could return their carts for them and collect the quarter out of them. My wife gave her our cart plus a $5 bill.
There was a guy who was sitting outside H-Mart a few weeks ago. He had a sign saying he was hungry and wanted food, no mention of money. My wife bought him this bibimbap stuff, some water, and slid a $10 bill in the bag for him. I didn't think it was bad, he actually got up after and walked off with it, so it seems he was genuine.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon May 02, 2022 4:12 pm

A guy accosted me asking for money as I was coming out of the Liquor store one day.

I said to him "You look a lot younger and more fit than I am. Why don't you get a job?"

He just gave me a big smile and said "Have a nice day, sir."

He waited until I was a safe distance across the parking lot, then shouted after me "YOU CHEAP OLD BASTARD."

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Tue May 03, 2022 2:38 am

matt1 wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 9:23 pm
McDonalds in Sanford, MI closed 1 week ago on Saturday at 8:00 that night (indoor part) but the drive thru was still open!!! Probably they run out of workers too!!
Most fast food restaurants in metro Detroit do not have the inside open still. They would rather just run the drive thru to keep their costs down. Hire less people.and make them wait in line.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue May 03, 2022 5:48 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 2:38 am
matt1 wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 9:23 pm
Most fast food restaurants in metro Detroit do not have the inside open still. They would rather just run the drive thru to keep their costs down. Hire less people.and make them wait in line.
Or there is just a general labor shortage in regards to low skill jobs...

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Deleted User 15783

Post by Deleted User 15783 » Tue May 03, 2022 10:16 am

Okay.
It is not illegal to panhandle, according to my friend that sits on a Police and Fire Commission near me. It used to be. Sometimes while Bill Shullete was Michigan's attorney general, a court overruled it. Said the law was a violation of free speech.

So a complete stranger can approach you and ask for money.

However, he also said it's generally illegal to be hanging out on the left side of the road. Whether you are asking for money or just standing there looking pretty.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue May 03, 2022 6:46 pm

Pan handling is as legal as selling girl scout cookies.

Housing and Homelessness organizations frown on giving money to pan handlers. The are generally impoverished, but there are better ways to leave poverty than pan handling.

Good pandlers can earn 40k + annually.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic