Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Doctor Dies While Hiking In Wisconsin (Ironwood Area)

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Ben Zonia

Doctor Dies While Hiking In Wisconsin (Ironwood Area)

Post by Ben Zonia » Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:09 am

There's so many bad things that can happen, but this was apparently an accident.

https://madison.com/news/local/crime-an ... 15e9a.html

The takeaway here is to never go alone. No matter how competent you might be. Cell phones are not enough, either.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

MotorCityRadioFreak

Re: Doctor Dies While Hiking In Wisconsin (Ironwood Area)

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:41 am

You have to live your life. If someone is single, they shouldn't hike at all? I would say to not go to an isolated remote area by yourself. But you should tell someone your travel plans if going far away. But if I want to hike at Stoney Creek, I am going.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:31 am

Back in my halcyon days of youth I was an avid solo wilderness backpacker. I would never dissuade anyone from such an enriching and often "religious" experience. However, the weight of Mother Nature can easily overwhelm any circumstance residing outside the bounds of common sense. Preparation is essential, both physically and mentally.

This does sound like an unfortunate accident as a result of the young lady wandering off the trail.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:54 pm

Two thoughts,

First, I agree that going with a group is a good idea. There are plenty of hiking clubs out there. I'm a member of the North Country Trail association and there are hikes every week. (Stoney Creek isn't exactly a high risk hiking environment). I have hiked all the way across the state of Michigan with that group.

Second, when I lived in Colorado, my County was 94% National Forest. I could walk out my door then be gone for 6 days without seeing anyone. I had maps I had an understanding of how to keep myself safe, but this type of situation seemingly is a complete accident and I wouldn't have known how to prepare to avoid it. I would go out for 4 days by myself with my dog and it was great and I wouldn't trade that for the world but I knew they were greater risks than sitting in my living room watching cable. My behavior changed once I had kids.

Life has risks choose wisely.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic