Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Whatever Happened To Live And Let Live?

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Ben Zonia

Whatever Happened To Live And Let Live?

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:18 am

Everything is about control.

Chicago schoolkid busted for selling Doritos in school. Gets suspended.

https://reason.com/2022/04/01/a-high-sc ... s-emerged/

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

TC Talks

Re: Whatever Happened To Live And Let Live?

Post by TC Talks » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:50 am

The same thing would happen if you set up a shop without a business license.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:18 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:50 am
The same thing would happen if you set up a shop without a business license.
Control freaks are what you call them, and they hide behind government authority. I've heard of them shutting down kids' lemonade stands.

Eric Cartman is another example of Art imitating life. Eric will no doubt grow up to be an apparatchik of one form or another.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:24 pm

Still wondering how the damn girl scouts get away with pushing those cookies every year. I'm forced to buy and consume more boxes than I ever should. Those little girls are terrorists!!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:16 pm

Once, when I was going into a Publix store, here in Florida, there was a gang of kids and their mothers outside the store, running a bake sale to raise money for their school.

I said to one of the mothers, "Maybe, instead of fundraising for the school, you should be fundraising to defeat the Governor who is turning your schools into charity cases."

The mother looked really offended and said to me "We don't talk politics around children."

So it looks like, in addition to not being allowed to say "Gay" we also aren't supposed to say "Politics" either. My bad.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

kager

Post by kager » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:57 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:16 pm
Once, when I was going into a Publix store, here in Florida, there was a gang of kids and their mothers outside the store, running a bake sale to raise money for their school.

I said to one of the mothers, "Maybe, instead of fundraising for the school, you should be fundraising to defeat the Governor who is turning your schools into charity cases."

The mother looked really offended and said to me "We don't talk politics around children."

So it looks like, in addition to not being allowed to say "Gay" we also aren't supposed to say "Politics" either. My bad.
More generalizing to fit a narrative that is way off.

Trying to shield kids from the constant need of someone unknown to express their political views to or in front of them, no matter the validity of the statement, is a good thing. Good on the mother for nipping it in the bud.

Considering what politics has become (and has done to this place), it doesn't sound like such a bad idea to have a zone where things like politics - and say, cellphones - are off limits.

Unfortunately, Chatterbox is not one of them.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:31 am

Ben Zonia wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:18 am
Everything is about control.

Chicago schoolkid busted for selling Doritos in school. Gets suspended.

https://reason.com/2022/04/01/a-high-sc ... s-emerged/
It's shit and not needed. When I was in school, we had mock businesses. Government or other interference is not needed when there is no danger.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic