Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ford's 1.5L turbo engines are shit boxes

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Ford's 1.5L turbo engines are shit boxes

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:00 am

It's nice that they are actually doing a recall (unlike the Ford Focus transmissions of early to mid 2010s vintage).

That said, I'm not surprised a 1.5L three cylinder, direct injection, turbo engine is suffering from cracking issues. This is why the stringent fuel economy standards many politicians support are not such a great idea.

Would not surprise me if the repair to be applied in this instance fails to permanently remediate the issue.

The dopes at Consumer Reports gave the Bronco Sport high marks, too. What morons! That said, they correctly graded the full scale Bronco harshly.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/busin ... 242533001/

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Deleted User 9015

Re: Ford's 1.5L turbo engines are shit boxes

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:42 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:00 am
That said, I'm not surprised a 1.5L three cylinder, direct injection, turbo engine is suffering from cracking issues. This is why the stringent fuel economy standards many politicians support are not such a great idea.
When my wife was shopping around she took a look at that three-cylinder piece of shit. We had escapes in the past. When we met, I had a V6 Escape! Not even out the driveway at Suburban I was like "no way". Ford has become such a shitty brand for cars/suvs.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:22 am

I thought that new electric Mustang was supposed to be great....no?

The censorship king from out of state.

zzand

Post by zzand » Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:59 am

One of my co-workers has one and hates it. Says he gets nowhere fast and plans for extra driving time because it is so slow

kager

Post by kager » Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:26 am

Maybe Ford should have tapped Kubota for 3-cylinder smokers? :blink

Hopefully Ford's vents are still going strong...

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:29 am

The 2.0L 4-cylinder turbo Ford makes is a decent engine, has been used on most Ford Edge models forever, and is available as an upgrade on the Escape.

If I were to buy or lease an Escape, that's the engine I would choose. Definitely wouldn't have to worry about acceleration. With FWD on a car with the Escape's weight, I would suspect fuel mileage would be around 23 in the city and 30 freeway with that engine.

The previous generation Escapes had slower 0 to 60 times than the current generation.

Turbos can go bad once cars start putting in higher mileage (or even medium mileage). If acceleration performance declines markedly all of a sudden, turbo failure is a possible culprit.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Circle Seven

Post by Circle Seven » Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:50 am

zzand wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:59 am
One of my co-workers has one and hates it. Says he gets nowhere fast and plans for extra driving time because it is so slow
Does your neighbor have the 3 cylinder engine or the electric mustang?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:19 am

Name any new revolutionary technology that was perfect out of the box.

Engines today are incredible for performance and efficiency. To blame regulations is a bit petty don't you think?

By 2030, so many global markets will be EV only, it's ridiculous that any manufacturer is putting effort into internal combustion at all these days. They'll never hit a profitable life cycle of the technology.

It's like designing a better Rotary phone when cellular is emerging.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:08 pm

There is nothing "revolutionary" about 3-cylinder engines.

As far as true EVs go, I agree the technology will get much better with time. The charging infrastructure has a long way to go in most areas of the country before EVs gain mainstream acceptance here.

Renault and Ford have stated they will sell only EVs in Europe by 2030. Volkswagen has set a goal of 2035. I think 2035 is realistic for EVs to command at least 50 percent market share of new vehicle sales here in the U.S. I, for one, am interested to see if sales of fossil fuel powered used cars are helped or harmed by that transition.

For now, I think hybrid technology, especially the regenerative braking version, is a compelling option. Stick to the manufacturers that have offered it for a long time (Toyota, for example).
It's like designing a better Rotary phone when cellular is emerging.
...kinda like "HD Radio." :blink

zzand

Post by zzand » Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:47 am

he has a gas engine in the terrible Eco Sport

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:32 am

Ah, it's an Ecosport. That explains it. That vehicle either has a 1.0L (yes, you read that correctly) 3-cylinder turbo or a 2.0L naturally aspirated four cylinder. The naturally aspired 2.0L is a much better motor than the turbo charged 1.0L, which indeed is a shit box of an engine. Ford has discontinued the 3-cylinder 1.0L turbo, I want to say beginning with either this model year or 2021. Even with the 2.0L, the 0 to 60 time is probably near 10 seconds. That time is not uncommon for the subcompact CUV class. The new Toyota Corolla Cross comes in around 11 seconds, for example.

Prior to the supply chain issues, there were probably good deals to be had on the Ecosport in this part of the country. I bet some folks, even without A/Z plan, have been able to buy them for $18,000 or $19,000 new. Even at that price, I still wouldn't want one. If that were my budget, I'd spend it on a reliable late model used sedan instead.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:09 am

Now, an outstanding 3 cylinder is Toyota's 1.6 liter... Especially in this little rocket.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/2023-toyo ... e-outputs/

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:51 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:29 am
The 2.0L 4-cylinder turbo Ford makes is a decent engine, has been used on most Ford Edge models forever, and is available as an upgrade on the Escape.

If I were to buy or lease an Escape, that's the engine I would choose. Definitely wouldn't have to worry about acceleration. With FWD on a car with the Escape's weight, I would suspect fuel mileage would be around 23 in the city and 30 freeway with that engine.

The previous generation Escapes had slower 0 to 60 times than the current generation.

Turbos can go bad once cars start putting in higher mileage (or even medium mileage). If acceleration performance declines markedly all of a sudden, turbo failure is a possible culprit.
Let's not give Ford too much credit. The 2.0 turbos have been around in European vehicles like VW and Saab since the 90s.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:50 am

MWmetalhead wrote:

I can vouch for the giddy-up provided by the 2.0 liter 4-cyl. turbo in my 2016 Escape! :D I bought it new and have low miles on it. The only problem I'm having is with the radio -- once in a while I have to turn off the ignition and restart to turn it on. :evil: Also, the SYNC voice activation no longer works. The panel controls are within easy arm's reach so I don't bother taking the car in.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:15 pm

moldyoldie wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:50 am
MWmetalhead wrote:

I can vouch for the giddy-up provided by the 2.0 liter 4-cyl. turbo in my 2016 Escape! :D I bought it new and have low miles on it. The only problem I'm having is with the radio -- once in a while I have to turn off the ignition and restart to turn it on. :evil: Also, the SYNC voice activation no longer works. The panel controls are within easy arm's reach so I don't bother taking the car in.
Ironically, the radio for my Saab takes 30 seconds from when the engine starts. Not a big deal but took some getting use to. The steering wheel controls also do not work consistently.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic