Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Living without a smartphone in 2022

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Matt

Re: Living without a smartphone in 2022

Post by Matt » Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:16 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:55 am
bmw wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:11 am
I don't know what "class type" has to do with this. I'm pretty sure smartphone addiction affects people of all income levels.
It wasn't me who raised that as an issue in this thread. I was merely responding because my name had been invoked along with the reference to class.
You own two homes - you are middle class. It doesn't matter that the second one is a trailer. Socially, you can call yourself working class if you want, but from an economic standpoint, you are firmly in the middle class.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:38 pm

Matt wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:16 pm

You own two homes - you are middle class. It doesn't matter that the second one is a trailer. Socially, you can call yourself working class if you want, but from an economic standpoint, you are firmly in the middle class.
We have working class friends who are financially better off than we are. They don't own a second home. They rent a luxury condo down on the beach.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:53 pm

I was just "forced" by Tracfone to give up my little LG pocket phone I kept for emergencies and opted for the least expensive smartphone available to me, a Motorola Moto G Pure for around $60. It's bulky, but it has a larger "regular" keyboard to allow for easier texting -- no more hitting a key three times and hoping it spells out what you want. I've eschewed texting till now. It also has a camera.

I suppose I'm being forced into the 21st Century whether I like it or not. :?

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Deleted User 15773

Post by Deleted User 15773 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:23 pm

moldyoldie wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:53 pm
I was just "forced" by Tracfone to give up my little LG pocket phone I kept for emergencies and opted for the least expensive smartphone available to me, a Motorola Moto G Pure for around $60. It's bulky, but it has a larger "regular" keyboard to allow for easier texting -- no more hitting a key three times and hoping it spells out what you want. I've eschewed texting till now. It also has a camera.

I suppose I'm being forced into the 21st Century whether I like it or not. :?
Well... sooner or later one has to give in I suppose. For example, I decided to RIP all my CD's onto a MP3 player and also store them on a Flash drive as a back up. I kept a few CDs as they are rare and out of print, however many of them I just donated to St. Vincent DePaul, with other things from around the house I was not using anymore. I parted with my DVDs, which I only had about a stackfull and The DVD player itself. Much less clutter around.

kager

Post by kager » Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:18 pm

What, no one uses a smartphone's camera (for something other than selfies)?

Today's mid-higher-end phones are quite capable (except for macro on iPhone 12 Pro Max - design defect). I use the camera on mine for documenting all sorts of things in my work. The zoom even doubles as a magnifying glass on occasion 8o

I see Grim Reaper (or, was it Mike Ox... or Steve Korv...) did himself in. Again. Who'da thunk it?

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:07 pm

kager wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:18 pm

Today's mid-higher-end phones are quite capable (except for macro on iPhone 12 Pro Max - design defect). I use the camera on mine for documenting all sorts of things in my work. The zoom even doubles as a magnifying glass on occasion 8o

I see Grim Reaper (or, was it Mike Ox... or Steve Korv...) did himself in. Again. Who'da thunk it?
Grim and Oxshort were Lucky?

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:47 am

Matt wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:07 pm
kager wrote:

Definitely not, but Kager might be audio or a friend of audio.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

kager

Post by kager » Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:38 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:47 am
Matt wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:07 pm
kager wrote:

Definitely not, but Kager might be audio or a friend of audio.

:lol

Way off again, as usual, but welcome back.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic