Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Have you ever called a talk show?

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
bmw

Have you ever called a talk show?

Post by bmw » Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:26 pm

Now I know that some of you work in radio so this may not be a big deal at all to you, but I'm curious who here has ever called into a radio talk show, either local or national? Did you get onto the air? Who did you talk to? What did you talk about? What was talking to the call screener like?

I've done this ONCE, probably a little over 20 years ago - I was barely an adult at the time. It was sports. I THINK it was AM 1440 in the Tri-Cities (now a religious station I believe). Also to the best of my recollection, it was Scott Johnson who was hosting. Of course I was young and stupid at the time and didn't have internet access, so I had no way to confirm this, but I THOUGHT in my head that the Lions hadn't yet been eliminated from playoff contention, when in fact they had. I called in to challenge the contention that they had, and I got onto the air, and I was so embarrassed about being wrong that I don't even remember how the rest of the conversation went. I remember before going on air my talk with the call screener being very brief, he asked me what I wanted to talk about, I said the Lions, and that was that.

Mega Hertz

Re: Have you ever called a talk show?

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:20 pm

Yep. Have called 97.1 quite a few times. Called into Nightcall years back, also. It's fun to jump in from time to time.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:49 pm

Mega Hertz confirmed for Supersize Scott Wardell

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:11 pm

bmw wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:26 pm
Now I know that some of you work in radio so this may not be a big deal at all to you, but I'm curious who here has ever called into a radio talk show, either local or national? Did you get onto the air? Who did you talk to? What did you talk about? What was talking to the call screener like?

I've done this ONCE, probably a little over 20 years ago - I was barely an adult at the time. It was sports. I THINK it was AM 1440 in the Tri-Cities (now a religious station I believe). Also to the best of my recollection, it was Scott Johnson who was hosting. Of course I was young and stupid at the time and didn't have internet access, so I had no way to confirm this, but I THOUGHT in my head that the Lions hadn't yet been eliminated from playoff contention, when in fact they had. I called in to challenge the contention that they had, and I got onto the air, and I was so embarrassed about being wrong that I don't even remember how the rest of the conversation went. I remember before going on air my talk with the call screener being very brief, he asked me what I wanted to talk about, I said the Lions, and that was that.
I loved that station growing up - WMAX and the Fox were the only stations I listened to by choice. Scot (one T iirc) was on WMAX for awhile, but I can't remember if he was mornings or afternoons. Scott Kuhl also had a show on there for awhile. I never called in to any station, but I was on the air at WMAX at Lions training camp for a few minutes.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:33 pm

I've never called but a son-in-law calls 97.1 regularly during NFL football season. ....Brian from Ann Arbor.

I no longer directly engage trolls

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:58 pm

Matt wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:11 pm
I loved that station growing up - WMAX and the Fox were the only stations I listened to by choice. Scot (one T iirc) was on WMAX for awhile, but I can't remember if he was mornings or afternoons. Scott Kuhl also had a show on there for awhile. I never called in to any station, but I was on the air at WMAX at Lions training camp for a few minutes.
Now that I think back, I can't remember if it was Kuhl or Johnson I called in to.

But yeah, same here. This station was the reason I bought a Terk AM Advantage antenna. Kevin Wall and Papa Joe were 2 of my favorite national hosts. I distinctly remember Kevin Wall had one day a week where he'd open up the "gripe line" and people would call in their sports complaints, but it became a running gag that some callers would call in thinking it was something other than "gripe line" like "pipe line" or "wipe line" and Kevin would always play the sound of a toilet flushing after one of those calls. And Papa Joe had his "Bite Me" Fridays. And they had some idiot host in the afternoon who always tried to argue that Emmitt Smith was better than Barry Sanders. Ah, the memories. I can't stand most sports talk radio these days. Jason Smith is the only host I enjoy these days (on Fox Sports Radio 11-2) though I've barely listened to him since he did late nights on ESPN Radio.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:10 pm

Peter Brown might be the guy you were thinking of in the afternoon - he sucked. WMAX even tried replacing him with Tony Kornheiser for a short period of time.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Circle Seven

Post by Circle Seven » Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:38 pm

I called into W4 in the late 70's, before it went country. Probably about 6 times suggesting tunes. Only name I remember talking to was Lynne Woodison.

There used to, many years ago, a show called "Ask The Lawyer" on WMUZ. I called there a couple of times. One time I wanted clarification on Adverse Possession. There was a house in Livonia that had inadvertently been built across a property line. The other question involved Kevorkian.

I've called 97.1 once. I remember it was Valenti's show, and it was around the time Brandon Inge hung up his cleats for good.
Last edited by Circle Seven on Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:40 pm

I haven't called in at all but my father has called in several times over the years. One of them was because one of the DJ'S wanted a new barber, which was my dad's career. He came in for 15 years or so until the station moved into a new studio farther away.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:51 pm

I was the H*** call on Jim Rome's show back in the 90's. Called about the Red Wings in the playoffs. Won a 6 foot Subway sandwich.

The censorship king from out of state.

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:22 am

I called into Warren Eckstein like 15 yrs ago and he yelled at me for letting one of my dogs be in control of the house.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:17 am

Tried calling in a couple times to various stations, but only got through once. It was so memorable I can't recall the station or what the conversation was at the time. It was decades ago.

Realist

Post by Realist » Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:27 pm

About 30 years ago plus, Ted Nugent was Art Lewis’ guest on the late morning show on Saginaw’s WSGW. There had recently been an article in the Sunday Detroit Free Press magazine about how Ted had shit and pissed on himself for a week prior to going before the draft board for Vietnam to get out of being drafted and sent over. Called in and gave him a softball question first then asked him this. Art chuckled at first then Ted flat out denied it happened. Asked why he didn’t sue for slander or libel if it wasn’t true and got a BS answer. Complete liar then, complete hypocritical piece of 💩💩💩 now. The Motor City mouth is an embarrassment to Michigan

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:17 pm

A local TV access sports show called Sportsline (TV Warren) was holding a quiz contest for lots of freebies from local establishments. It was a question about what athlete won at all levels of their sport or something like that. I had a trivia book and found the answer at the time. Anyway, I called in after someone answered incorrectly. This was around 2003.

I texted Karsch and Anderson on the Ticket last year when they were asking why we should be interested in the 2021 NBA finals and if there were any Michigan ties involved. My former college classmate is Jon Horst, the GM for the Milwaukee Bucks. We worked together in college through our capstone course on our mock business, and he was our CEO as we faced "the Sharks" of our professors. Jon grew up in Sandusky, MI.

I did call in to Bob Dutko on WMUZ once back in my conservative days before the 2008 election. They ran out of time to get to me.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:44 pm

I called one of those home improvement shows several years ago, asking about filling in a swimming pool. They just referred me to a township official, who had just retired two weeks before. They did not give me any substantial information.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic