Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Brush with greatness thread

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Mega Hertz

Re: Brush with greatness thread

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:51 pm

I have a brush with greatness every time I look in the mirror.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:07 pm

I met Rick Snyder at Weber’s Inn in Ann Arbor in I think 2010 or 2011. Regardless of what anyone may think of his politics, he seemed like a very humble and reasonable man.

I also had a conversation with Drew Carey at a taping of The Price Is Right at Television City in 2020 right before the pandemic hit. I was nervous and mentioned I recently got married and he asked how long I’ve been married, and I couldn’t remember, so he ribbed me throughout the commercial breaks of the show. I’ll continue to visit until I get to Contestants’ Row, play a game, and spin that damn wheel. I don’t care if I win $0.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:00 pm

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:07 pm
I met Rick Snyder at Weber’s Inn in Ann Arbor in I think 2010 or 2011. Regardless of what anyone may think of his politics, he seemed like a very humble and reasonable man.

I also had a conversation with Drew Carey at a taping of The Price Is Right at Television City in 2020 right before the pandemic hit. I was nervous and mentioned I recently got married and he asked how long I’ve been married, and I couldn’t remember, so he ribbed me throughout the commercial breaks of the show. I’ll continue to visit until I get to Contestants’ Row, play a game, and spin that damn wheel. I don’t care if I win $0.
I have a friend that made it on the show and met Drew.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:10 pm

I like Drew despite not really liking the Drew Carey Show.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:55 pm

I would have loved to get on the show with Bob. Such a funny guy in a way that's very different than Drew: a bit edgy and occasionally inappropriate, but it would have been a fun experience to meet him.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:50 pm

I hope to get on TPIR someday. I've had a few times where Drew liked or replied to my tweets.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:50 pm

Matt wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:00 pm
ZenithCKLW wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:07 pm

I have a friend that made it on the show and met Drew.
When was this?

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:17 pm

Back in 2016 or so I was called on down as a contestant at the TPIR Road Show when it was in Mount Pleasant. I had to bid on some weird Italian shoes that I had no clue the price of. Needless to say I didn't get to play a game. Todd Newton was hosting.

I've been to several of the road shows, and my favorite person to host it was actually Jerry Springer - he did a surprisingly good job at hosting.

As to the main question in this thread, I've never really met any famous people that I can think of. My closest brush with greatness was probably almost getting Barry Sanders' autograph at Lions training camp in what ended up being his final season. The Lions used to come up every year in the late 90s and early 2k's to Saginaw Valley State University for their training camp, and players would sign autographs. I collected probably 20 or so autographs the 3 years I went, most notable being Herman Moore and Desmond Howard. Barry Sanders, however, in (1998?) drew such a large crowd that there was no way I was getting one.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:19 pm

I worked at Lions training camp the last 3 years they were in Saginaw - I believe the only autograph I got was Jim Harbaugh's when he was with the Lions at the tail end of his playing career. I met a lot of the players briefly, and I even had people asking me for my autograph because I had access to areas that they didn't.

Also, I shook George W. Bush's hand at his campaign stop at the Ryder Center the Friday before the 2000 election.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:26 pm

bmw wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:17 pm
Back in 2016 or so I was called on down as a contestant at the TPIR Road Show when it was in Mount Pleasant. I had to bid on some weird Italian shoes that I had no clue the price of. Needless to say I didn't get to play a game. Todd Newton was hosting.

I've been to several of the road shows, and my favorite person to host it was actually Jerry Springer - he did a surprisingly good job at hosting.

As to the main question in this thread, I've never really met any famous people that I can think of. My closest brush with greatness was probably almost getting Barry Sanders' autograph at Lions training camp in what ended up being his final season. The Lions used to come up every year in the late 90s and early 2k's to Saginaw Valley State University for their training camp, and players would sign autographs. I collected probably 20 or so autographs the 3 years I went, most notable being Herman Moore and Desmond Howard. Barry Sanders, however, in (1998?) drew such a large crowd that there was no way I was getting one.
I went to see TPIR Live when it came to Toledo in 2016. I personally didn't care much for Jerry as host. He called several of the products "stupid" and I feel if I paid to have my product featured, I wouldn't want the host criticizing my product. I nor my parents ever made it up on stage or told to "Come on down".

Realist

Post by Realist » Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:37 pm

Shook Jimmy Carter’s hand at SVSU in 1980 when he was campaigning.

Met Kenny Rogers and had him sign a gift book of his for my parents Christmas present.

Wife and I talked to Brandon Inge one on one after a Pirates pre season game in Sarasota.

Met Mitch Albom at a book signing in Saginaw and he was actually a nice guy

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:00 pm

Realist wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:37 pm
Shook Jimmy Carter’s hand at SVSU in 1980 when he was campaigning.

Met Kenny Rogers and had him sign a gift book of his for my parents Christmas present.

Wife and I talked to Brandon Inge one on one after a Pirates pre season game in Sarasota.

Met Mitch Albom at a book signing in Saginaw and he was actually a nice guy
Was that Kenny Rogers the pitcher or the singer?

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:49 pm

I once was eating lunch at a semi-fancy restaurant with a group from work in the DC area some years ago, when somebody said that a famous quarterback from the Washington football team walked in with some friends. I just said 'Screw the [name of team deleted]. I'm from Michigan; I root for Detroit'. That guy and some of his friends just smiled.

Circle Seven

Post by Circle Seven » Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:36 pm

Matt wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:19 pm
Also, I shook George W. Bush's hand at his campaign stop at the Ryder Center the Friday before the 2000 election.
You reminded me of something I forget about. When Bush Senior was president, Big John Dingell had him come to Wyandotte for the grand opening of the Downriver Community Conference. This was before they moved into the old Schafer High School in Southgate. The DCC was a big deal for Dingell. It was his baby. It was right by Mt. Carmel church. A beautiful church. The president asked us a couple of questions about the church. If memory serves me right, I wasn't much help.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:11 pm

Oh. I saw Rasheed Wallace at a Target store, I wanna say 2004 or 05. Didn't wanna bother him.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic