Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Brush with greatness thread

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
MotorCityRadioFreak

Re: Brush with greatness thread

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:47 pm

G G wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:44 pm
MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:23 pm
I saw Emory King and Huel Perkins at my store but did not wait on them. The ladies at the front said Huel was very nice and funny but Emory was a little stuck up.
I had no clue they both hung out at Chosen Books.
Dickson's Bible Bookstore/Christian Publications on Woodward across from the zoo. We had a diverse clientele.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:26 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:24 pm
Neckbeard wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:07 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:46 pm
Come on, Bryce. Leave him alone. Not cool.
I have to side with Bryce on this. I like MCRF, but shaming and assuming a victim position when hes just being softly needled isn't cool itself. What Bryce said shouldn't be considered offensive, he was acknowledging and making light of a characteristic o MCRF that MCRF has made known to everyone else here. All he said was that he could have met him based on both being bi, just goofy shitposting, nothing more. MCRF's response is more something that he is responsible for, not Bryce. Now, if Bryce went ahead and said something like "Didn't you exchange HIV variants in one of those bugchasing events that filthy bi's participate in because the only things they can make up their minds on is that their desire to be the most diverse disease vectors on the planet and that they want to contaminate unsuspecting straight white women." then yeah, I could see why MCRF would be pissy, but not this.

It's a variant of canceling and I can't agree with that.
But no one else but MCRF gets to choose how he feels about it. There's light ribbing and then there's taking it too far. He obviously isn't cool with it. It's no different than "No. Stop." "Oh you know you want it. Now take your pants off". I would be okay with it because I've shot the shit with a lot of people here, including Bryce. MCRF isn't cool with it.
It's his history of antagonism. If it would have been from someone like Matt who I know would only joke from a standpoint of being funny rather than bigotry, I would have no problem. I know that he is affirming.

People like Bryce, GG, Losin Life, and audio may as well be the Westboro Baptist Church with their hate.

The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:02 am

I was working at Elder - Beerman in the Midland Mall in Midland, MI & someone told me that Alice Cooper was in the mall signing autographs & pictures at the eating place but I had to do my work at the mall instead. Also Shirley Jones was at JC Penney in the Midland Mall checking out jewelry (my late mom told me) because Shirley performed at the Midland Center For The Arts (not sure which year around the 90's).

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:42 am

Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:26 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Neckbeard wrote:
Mega Hertz wrote:
I have to side with Bryce on this. I like MCRF, but shaming and assuming a victim position when hes just being softly needled isn't cool itself. What Bryce said shouldn't be considered offensive, he was acknowledging and making light of a characteristic o MCRF that MCRF has made known to everyone else here. All he said was that he could have met him based on both being bi, just goofy shitposting, nothing more. MCRF's response is more something that he is responsible for, not Bryce. Now, if Bryce went ahead and said something like "Didn't you exchange HIV variants in one of those bugchasing events that filthy bi's participate in because the only things they can make up their minds on is that their desire to be the most diverse disease vectors on the planet and that they want to contaminate unsuspecting straight white women." then yeah, I could see why MCRF would be pissy, but not this.

But no one else but MCRF gets to choose how he feels about it. There's light ribbing and then there's taking it too far. He obviously isn't cool with it. It's no different than "No. Stop." "Oh you know you want it. Now take your pants off". I would be okay with it because I've shot the shit with a lot of people here, including Bryce. MCRF isn't cool with it.
It's his history of antagonism. If it would have been from someone like Matt who I know would only joke from a standpoint of being funny rather than bigotry, I would have no problem. I know that he is affirming.

People like Bryce, GG, Losin Life, and audio may as well be the Westboro Baptist Church with their hate.
This is a problem I'm really starting to notice more and more with the internet. For example, I post in a 90s rock Facebook group. And there is always that one guy that just cruises around and trashes stuff other people post. Of course, what HE listens to was sent by God Himself. There was nothing useful or positive about what he comments. BUT, he has "the right", so instead of scrolling by, he insists on coming in and shitting on whatever you posted. Then when you call him out, he pulls the "moi? Nawwwww" act. This is where we are at online. The need to rain on someone else's parade. I've been on this site with Bryce and NB for well over a decade. If they were to post that to me, no big deal. He made comments, you asked him to stop, done. There's no cancelling involved. He isn't losing posting privileges, he isn't losing his livelyhood. I'm not a fan of cancelling everyone, either. This is merely a simple request from one poster to another. Especially in a time when 11 year old kids are taking their own lives over cyber bullying.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:57 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:19 pm
Matt wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:33 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:24 pm
My late father's brush with greatness was getting kicked in the ass by cowboy, Gene Autry.

When he was a kid, Autry was putting on a show in their town. The performance was inside a big tent. My dad and another kid tried to sneak in under one of the flaps. Their cowboy idol caught them, kicked them both in the ass and told them to get the hell outa there.
Who?
My Dad.
Should I have posted Gene who?

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:07 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:42 am
Mega Hertz wrote:
Neckbeard wrote:
Mega Hertz wrote:

This is a problem I'm really starting to notice more and more with the internet. For example, I post in a 90s rock Facebook group. And there is always that one guy that just cruises around and trashes stuff other people post. Of course, what HE listens to was sent by God Himself. There was nothing useful or positive about what he comments. BUT, he has "the right", so instead of scrolling by, he insists on coming in and shitting on whatever you posted. Then when you call him out, he pulls the "moi? Nawwwww" act. This is where we are at online. The need to rain on someone else's parade. I've been on this site with Bryce and NB for well over a decade. If they were to post that to me, no big deal. He made comments, you asked him to stop, done. There's no cancelling involved. He isn't losing posting privileges, he isn't losing his livelyhood. I'm not a fan of cancelling everyone, either. This is merely a simple request from one poster to another. Especially in a time when 11 year old kids are taking their own lives over cyber bullying.
I am suffering from depression currently so I probably do have a shorter fuse. Seasonal depression is also a reality for me each year. It isn’t until the end of March that it lessens for me.

Audacity sucks.

kager

Post by kager » Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:24 am

Working for radio stations that sponsored events for a nearby concert venue in the late-70's - early 90's, I had the op to meet, interview, & even hang with after the show many a performer from that 'era'; from the Cars, Men At Work, INXS to Nugent, TIna Turner, AC/DC, Randy Travis & Weird Al (and MANY others).

Of those, the nicest, and most down to earth, was probably Huey Lewis (who enthusiastically did a Make-A-Wish meet & greet and had special accommodations in place at the venue for a local cancer kid and his family).

After radio, my favourite meet was sitting next to and chatting with the recently-departed Howard Hesseman on a flight from DTW to PIT. I've posted about that lucky encounter here before, so won't repeat it, but Hesseman was a class act & genuinely nice person.

---

I had high hopes at the start of this thread of it being a sign of slight change in BB user temperament; maybe less childish drama-queen pol-pot-like in-fighting...

a mere 7 hours later...
I am sick of your bigoted sh*t. F*ck you.
[*poof*!]

Thanks.

"Be respectful, keep it civil and stay on topic"

-- just about everywhere but here

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:13 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:42 am
Mega Hertz wrote:
Neckbeard wrote:
Mega Hertz wrote:

The Foe option has saved me much annoyance through the years. I know it's a type of cancelling, but I always try to focus on what I control.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:21 am

kager wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:24 am
Working for radio stations that sponsored events for a nearby concert venue in the late-70's - early 90's, I had the op to meet, interview, & even hang with after the show many a performer from that 'era'; from the Cars, Men At Work, INXS to Nugent, TIna Turner, AC/DC, Randy Travis & Weird Al (and MANY others).

Of those, the nicest, and most down to earth, was probably Huey Lewis (who enthusiastically did a Make-A-Wish meet & greet and had special accommodations in place at the venue for a local cancer kid and his family).

After radio, my favourite meet was sitting next to and chatting with the recently-departed Howard Hesseman on a flight from DTW to PIT. I've posted about that lucky encounter here before, so won't repeat it, but Hesseman was a class act & genuinely nice person.

---

I had high hopes at the start of this thread of it being a sign of slight change in BB user temperament; maybe less childish drama-queen pol-pot-like in-fighting...

a mere 7 hours later...
I am sick of your bigoted sh*t. F*ck you.
[*poof*!]

Thanks.

"Be respectful, keep it civil and stay on topic"

-- just about everywhere but here
Blame Brycey. My first reply was not confrontational.

Audacity sucks.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:23 am

Can we get back on track telling stories of encounters with famous people, please?

The censorship king from out of state.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:37 am

Honeyman wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:23 am
Can we get back on track telling stories of encounters with famous people, please?
Welcome to the buzz board. Starting a thread about the weather will eventually devolve into this.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:37 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:37 am
Honeyman wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:23 am
Welcome to the buzz board. Starting a thread about the weather will eventually devolve into this.
:lol Believe me I know...just had a moment of weakness.

Let the insults and vitriol carry on!

The censorship king from out of state.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:40 am

I met Jim Brady, his nurse, and his Secret Service Agent at a conference where he gave a speech about 25 years ago.

Circle Seven

Post by Circle Seven » Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:44 am

I had my diaper changed by Robert Goulet. Apparently when I was an infant, my mom was visiting a mutual friend of Goulet's. I don't remember it. :)

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:18 am

I met former presidential candidate John Anderson at a conference once. Got to talk with him for all of 1 minute.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic