Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Things That Make It All Worthwhile

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Bryce

Things That Make It All Worthwhile

Post by Bryce » Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:32 pm

As some of you older board denizens know, I was the arena announcer for several local hockey teams. Some paid (not much) some, just for the love of the game and people involved.

Last week I was at a local 7-11 getting some coffee. I was chatting with the owner and a few customers and I got a tap on my shoulder with a "hey." It was a former player (who is now in the NHL) for one of the teams I was involved with. He said, "When I walked into the store and heard your voice I thought to myself now I know I'm home and wanted to say hi."

After talking with him for a bit and paying for my coffee, I went out to my truck, sat there, and broke into tears. THAT's what makes it all worthwhile.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Mega Hertz

Re: Things That Make It All Worthwhile

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:53 pm

Holy shit! Bryce has feelings!?

That's cool, though. With all the garbage we all deal with day to day in our lives, it's always nice to get that fleeting moment when we actually get to feel GOOD about something for a change.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:07 pm

I suppose I'll throw something in here also. Another feel-good moment.

Six years ago, things weren't looking good. Addicted to heroin and cocaine, living in my mom's spare bedroom, no car, waiting tables at a now-defunct Big Boy for shit pay, no future to speak of, most of my family didn't want me around. I came to find out later that, back in 2016, rumor had it that the family thought I only had 6 months or so left. That I would be lucky to see 2017. I lost it all. Job in radio. Freedom. Girlfriend. Apartment. All gone in the space of a couple years. All over some damn narcotics.

They were damn close to being right.

The other day, Back in the High Life came up on my shuffle. I thought all about finishing treatment and moving to Ann Arbor in November 2016 to start over. How I came out here with nothing but my bedding, some worn out clothes and a boombox. No job, no car, no phone, no money, no food, almost no teeth, NOTHING. Just a crummy sober living apartment to rest my head in.

Fast forward to 2022. I thought about my house in Brighton. Recently engaged, "stepdad" to two lovely little girls. My puppy adores me. Back in the good graces of the family. Five large in dental work. Management position and pay/benefits at work. Car in the garage, work vehicle I take home. Bills paid. Money in savings.

If you would have told me I would be here in 2016, I would have asked you where you were getting YOUR dope from.

Sometimes I still can't believe it's all really happening.

I just wish my pop was here to see it.

-TurkeyTop

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:21 pm

What a spectacular story to share! Kudo's. That's a major win that you have a lot to be proud of.

FWIW, some of the advice you had given me in some of our private chats has helped my nephew to turn his life around a bit too. His life isn't perfect, he has a way to go to get to the point you have achieved, but he is light years ahead of where he was two years ago.

Thank you for that and best wishes for continued success in 2022.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:26 pm

That's the kind of news I like. Even if I can help just one person turn it around, it's a success

-TurkeyTop

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:31 pm

Bryce wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:32 pm
As some of you older board denizens know, I was the arena announcer for several local hockey teams. Some paid (not much) some, just for the love of the game and people involved.

Last week I was at a local 7-11 getting some coffee. I was chatting with the owner and a few customers and I got a tap on my shoulder with a "hey." It was a former player (who is now in the NHL) for one of the teams I was involved with. He said, "When I walked into the store and heard your voice I thought to myself now I know I'm home and wanted to say hi."

After talking with him for a bit and paying for my coffee, I went out to my truck, sat there, and broke into tears. THAT's what makes it all worthwhile.
That’s awesome.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:54 pm

Yeah it’s amazing how the turnarounds that almost killed us…. Made us better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:57 pm

Bryce wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:32 pm

That’s a really cool story. It’s rewarding to know you made an impact on somebody. You’re a part of the good old days for that guy clearly.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:18 pm

2 great stories! Thanks for posting.....really enjoyed reading these.

The censorship king from out of state.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:42 pm

We are force fed negativity and hate and anger and distrust all day, every day. A little positive is needed, even if just on a message board.

-TurkeyTop

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:35 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:07 pm

Six years ago, things weren't looking good. Addicted to heroin and cocaine, living in my mom's spare bedroom, no car, waiting tables at a now-defunct Big Boy for shit pay, no future to speak of, most of my family didn't want me around. I came to find out later that, back in 2016, rumor had it that the family thought I only had 6 months or so left. That I would be lucky to see 2017. I lost it all. Job in radio. Freedom. Girlfriend. Apartment. All gone in the space of a couple years. All over some damn narcotics.

The other day, Back in the High Life came up on my shuffle. I thought all about finishing treatment and moving to Ann Arbor in November 2016 to start over. How I came out here with nothing but my bedding, some worn out clothes and a boombox. No job, no car, no phone, no money, no food, almost no teeth, NOTHING. Just a crummy sober living apartment to rest my head in.

Fast forward to 2022. I thought about my house in Brighton. Recently engaged, "stepdad" to two lovely little girls. My puppy adores me. Back in the good graces of the family. Five large in dental work. Management position and pay/benefits at work. Car in the garage, work vehicle I take home. Bills paid. Money in savings.

If you would have told me I would be here in 2016, I would have asked you where you were getting YOUR dope from.

Wow! Great story!

What allowed the change?

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:03 pm

audiophile wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:35 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:

Wow! Great story!

What allowed the change?
Waking up in St. John's, Detroit, being told that I overdosed and almost didn't make it. When I called my mom (who hadn't seen me since the evening prior) and told her I overdosed, she jumped my ass and told me that was it; I had to get some help and I couldn't come home. That was it. Either admit defeat and give myself safety and asylum or go AMA on to the streets of east side Detroit...broke, homeless and strung out. I wouldn't have made it through the night. I separated myself from society and laser focused on changing.

As an aside, I still remember a speaker coming in one day and telling us "3 percent of you will walk out of here and never touch drugs again. 87 percent will touch drugs again and wind up back in here. The worst part...10 percent of you will touch drugs again and die". I swore to myself I would be in that 3 percent. So far, so good!

-TurkeyTop

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:42 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:03 pm
audiophile wrote:
Mega Hertz wrote:

Wow! Great story!

What allowed the change?
Waking up in St. John's, Detroit, being told that I overdosed and almost didn't make it. When I called my mom (who hadn't seen me since the evening prior) and told her I overdosed, she jumped my ass and told me that was it; I had to get some help and I couldn't come home. That was it. Either admit defeat and give myself safety and asylum or go AMA on to the streets of east side Detroit...broke, homeless and strung out. I wouldn't have made it through the night. I separated myself from society and laser focused on changing.

As an aside, I still remember a speaker coming in one day and telling us "3 percent of you will walk out of here and never touch drugs again. 87 percent will touch drugs again and wind up back in here. The worst part...10 percent of you will touch drugs again and die". I swore to myself I would be in that 3 percent. So far, so good!
Keep up the sobriety!

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:36 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:03 pm
audiophile wrote:
Mega Hertz wrote:

Wow! Great story!

What allowed the change?

Your mom said you couldn't ever come home, or you had to get treatment first or concurrently?

What is your affiliation with St Lukes?

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:06 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:

Good job! I'm glad you were able to stop working at Big boy's. I'd become a heroin addict too if I had to smell slim jims and that godawful fry seasoning all day.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic