Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Things That Make It All Worthwhile

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Mega Hertz

Re: Things That Make It All Worthwhile

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:17 pm

audiophile wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:36 am
Mega Hertz wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:03 pm
audiophile wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:35 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:07 pm
I suppose I'll throw something in here also. Another feel-good moment.

Six years ago, things weren't looking good. Addicted to heroin and cocaine, living in my mom's spare bedroom, no car, waiting tables at a now-defunct Big Boy for shit pay, no future to speak of, most of my family didn't want me around. I came to find out later that, back in 2016, rumor had it that the family thought I only had 6 months or so left. That I would be lucky to see 2017. I lost it all. Job in radio. Freedom. Girlfriend. Apartment. All gone in the space of a couple years. All over some damn narcotics.

They were damn close to being right.

The other day, Back in the High Life came up on my shuffle. I thought all about finishing treatment and moving to Ann Arbor in November 2016 to start over. How I came out here with nothing but my bedding, some worn out clothes and a boombox. No job, no car, no phone, no money, no food, almost no teeth, NOTHING. Just a crummy sober living apartment to rest my head in.

Fast forward to 2022. I thought about my house in Brighton. Recently engaged, "stepdad" to two lovely little girls. My puppy adores me. Back in the good graces of the family. Five large in dental work. Management position and pay/benefits at work. Car in the garage, work vehicle I take home. Bills paid. Money in savings.

If you would have told me I would be here in 2016, I would have asked you where you were getting YOUR dope from.

Sometimes I still can't believe it's all really happening.

I just wish my pop was here to see it.
Wow! Great story!

What allowed the change?
Waking up in St. John's, Detroit, being told that I overdosed and almost didn't make it. When I called my mom (who hadn't seen me since the evening prior) and told her I overdosed, she jumped my ass and told me that was it; I had to get some help and I couldn't come home. That was it. Either admit defeat and give myself safety and asylum or go AMA on to the streets of east side Detroit...broke, homeless and strung out. I wouldn't have made it through the night. I separated myself from society and laser focused on changing.

As an aside, I still remember a speaker coming in one day and telling us "3 percent of you will walk out of here and never touch drugs again. 87 percent will touch drugs again and wind up back in here. The worst part...10 percent of you will touch drugs again and die". I swore to myself I would be in that 3 percent. So far, so good!
Your mom said you couldn't ever come home, or you had to get treatment first or concurrently?

What is your affiliation with St Lukes?
I couldn't come home period. Game time was over. We weren't gonna start the whole cycle over again.

The only St. Luke's I go to is off 23 and Washtenaw Ave. Saturday night AA.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:18 pm

Neckbeard wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:06 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:

Six years ago, things weren't looking good. Addicted to heroin and cocaine, living in my mom's spare bedroom, no car, waiting tables at a now-defunct Big Boy for shit pay, no future to speak of, most of my family didn't want me around. I came to find out later that, back in 2016, rumor had it that the family thought I only had 6 months or so left. That I would be lucky to see 2017. I lost it all. Job in radio. Freedom. Girlfriend. Apartment. All gone in the space of a couple years. All over some damn narcotics.

The other day, Back in the High Life came up on my shuffle. I thought all about finishing treatment and moving to Ann Arbor in November 2016 to start over. How I came out here with nothing but my bedding, some worn out clothes and a boombox. No job, no car, no phone, no money, no food, almost no teeth, NOTHING. Just a crummy sober living apartment to rest my head in.

Fast forward to 2022. I thought about my house in Brighton. Recently engaged, "stepdad" to two lovely little girls. My puppy adores me. Back in the good graces of the family. Five large in dental work. Management position and pay/benefits at work. Car in the garage, work vehicle I take home. Bills paid. Money in savings.

If you would have told me I would be here in 2016, I would have asked you where you were getting YOUR dope from.

Good job! I'm glad you were able to stop working at Big boy's. I'd become a heroin addict too if I had to smell slim jims and that godawful fry seasoning all day.
😂😂😂

I had no choice. They closed down a few years ago. Not surprised at all.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:33 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:18 pm
Neckbeard wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:06 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:

Good job! I'm glad you were able to stop working at Big boy's. I'd become a heroin addict too if I had to smell slim jims and that godawful fry seasoning all day.
😂😂😂

I had no choice. They closed down a few years ago. Not surprised at all.
I had an oxy habit for a while. Its great until your body is no longer naive to the stuff. Then you just end up taking more and more to eak out shorter periods of highs. I eventually just couldn't find any and had to give up. I had an ugly moment at Troy Beaumont, lol... But after a weekend of pissing, moaning, and going through withdrawals, I consider myself lucky I never went down the road you went down. I would probably be dead today. Glad you're still around.

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:41 pm

I never went through the addiction challenges other than cigarettes over the last 20 years. I went through life changes, house loss, loss of a third marriage, and finally a change of life and the people that I was around.

I now have an almost 29-year-old son, who has a year and a half old daughter that maybe someday I’ll get to meet once our icky cootie Covid
is better

In 2011 my third marriage broke up and I lost the house that I had worked on and lived in for at least 7 years with her and her girls.

I had a job… But in essence I was homeless because I had no place of my own any longer. I stayed with somebody and her family and kids and it was utter chaos

I met somebody and we now have an eight-year-old boy who is the light of my life… Round two. My older child will always be the light of my life… But as I learned you can actually have more than one

I got my financial house in order… Bought a house… have now bought at least one or two new cars straight off the lot which I had never done in my life

I have other things that make my life a little more palatable especially in this time of pandemic

So yes… It’s amazing the path that we’re all on and we don’t always know what our fellow humans are going through… And so far it’s Friday, January 7, 2022, and I’m alive and I’m breathing

I either must’ve done something really stupid and got to this point where I woke up and got smart. I’m not sure which it is other than some heavenly guidance along the way

I figure this is the readers digest version of it - lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G G

Post by G G » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:52 pm

hopheads.

Donald Trump was and is the best president this country has ever had. And he will return to glory as our leader again.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:12 pm

Great stories Neck and Ray. Keep on keepin' on.

The censorship king from out of state.

kager

Post by kager » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:26 pm

G G wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:52 pm
hopheads.
Dick much?

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

G G

Post by G G » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:29 pm

kager wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:26 pm
G G wrote:
hopheads.
Dick much?
Just when your mom's in town, son.

Donald Trump was and is the best president this country has ever had. And he will return to glory as our leader again.

kager

Post by kager » Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:25 pm

G G wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:29 pm
kager wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:26 pm
G G wrote:
hopheads.
Dick much?
Just when your mom's in town, son.
You shouldn't deprive your boyfriend like that, pops.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic