Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Alec Baldwin shoots and kills a 42-year old woman

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
bmw

Alec Baldwin shoots and kills a 42-year old woman

Post by bmw » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:26 pm

Yikes!
The director of photography on a movie starring Alec Baldwin has been killed and the film's director injured, according to the sheriff's office of Santa Fe County, N.M. They were shot by a prop firearm that was discharged by Baldwin, who is also a producer on the film, the sheriff's office statement says.

Halyna Hutchins, 42, the director of photography, was airlifted to the University of New Mexico hospital, where she was pronounced dead. The second victim, director Joel Souza, 48, was being cared for at Christus St. Vincent Medical Center.

The investigation is ongoing and authorities say no charges have been filed in this incident. Detectives are continuing to be interview witnesses.
https://www.npr.org/2021/10/21/10482462 ... new-mexico

TC Shuts Up

Re: Alec Baldwin shoots and kills a 42-year old woman

Post by TC Shuts Up » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:42 pm

With jerk like Alec Baldwin, it's amazing this didn't happen before, voluntarily. Very sad though, for his victims. He should be charged with involuntary manslaughter.

If Baldwin had taken the most basic firearms course, this could have been avoided. Unless it was a toy gun, it shouldn't have been pointed at anyone. And they teach you to always assume a real gun is loaded. More Hollywood ignorance. Many people have been convicted who said they "didn't know the gun was loaded".

Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:34 am

TC Shuts Up wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:42 pm
With jerk like Alec Baldwin, it's amazing this didn't happen before, voluntarily. Very sad though, for his victims. He should be charged with involuntary manslaughter.

If Baldwin had taken the most basic firearms course, this could have been avoided. Unless it was a toy gun, it shouldn't have been pointed at anyone. And they teach you to always assume a real gun is loaded. More Hollywood ignorance. Many people have been convicted who said they "didn't know the gun was loaded".
If the firearm was one of the firearms that was to be used in filming, I think the blame is going to settle on the Prop Manager/Special Effects person. All movies have a prop manager, one that is VERY knowledgeable about firearm safety, that is responsible to ensure those firearms are safe before they are given/used by the actors.

If the firearm in question was brought in by Baldwin, he goes to prison.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:09 am

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:43 am

Bryce wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:34 am
If the firearm was one of the firearms that was to be used in filming, I think the blame is going to settle on the Prop Manager/Special Effects person. All movies have a prop manager, one that is VERY knowledgeable about firearm safety, that is responsible to ensure those firearms are safe before they are given/used by the actors.

If the firearm in question was brought in by Baldwin, he goes to prison.
I'm sure Baldwin will not be charged. Like Bryce says, no guns on the set should be "live". I pondered why any would be. I was reading about this earlier. This happens more than I thought apparently. Some prop gun killing or hurting someone during filming. I may, later today, take a closer look at prop guns and see why my thinking may be flawed.

I always thought they were just dud noise makers that would puff out smoke if needed. And more I think about it, l can't recall scenes in a movie or TV show where the character wasn't pointing a gun off screen when it went off. In other words, not at someone.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:23 am

There are 115,000 gun deaths in the US every year. When one of them happens to involve a Hollywood celebrity, it becomes news.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:29 am

Firearms used on production sets are traditionally loaded with blanks that expel cotton wads in place of actual bullets. They are essentially harmless provided the firearm is discharged into open space. A point-blank discharge can cause serious injury and possibly fatality. The late Jon-Erik Hexum learned the hard way when he held a prop gun to his head on the set of the TV series Cover Up in 1984 and pulled the trigger. The force of the cotton wad discharged from to his temple result in a brain hemorrhage sadly that ended his life. Lesson being just because it's a prop doesn't make it a toy.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

zzand

Post by zzand » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:25 am

Brandon Lee on the set of The Crow is another example. Read an article on this today that said if criminal charges are filed it won't be against the person who fired the prop gun.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:34 pm

Baldwin is more than just an actor in the film, he's a producer so he has some responsibility for how things go on the set.

The gun was a real gun being used as a prop. You'd normally think a "prop" gun would be something that looks and sounds like a real gun but isn't one, but that's not the case here.

kager

Post by kager » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:59 pm

What a bullshit title.

Period.

Too bad you're not being paid by the click.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:31 pm

kager wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:59 pm
What a bullshit title.

Period.

Title is 100% factually accurate. Which word or phrase do you challenge as "bullshit" ?

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:58 pm

bmw wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:31 pm
kager wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:59 pm
What a bullshit title.

Period.

Title is 100% factually accurate. Which word or phrase do you challenge as "bullshit" ?
In fairness, accidently or on a movie set might have been included.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:13 am

km1125 wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:34 pm
The gun was a real gun being used as a prop. You'd normally think a "prop" gun would be something that looks and sounds like a real gun but isn't one, but that's not the case here.
My understanding has been that prop guns are basically authentic firearms that are modified to fire blanks instead of actual ammunition. The blank charge provides the visual of muzzle fire. The gunfire sound is usually dubbed in post-edit. Real-life gunfire is more of a "pop", as opposed to the more dramatic sound we hear guns make in movies and TV shows.

That being said, one would think the advent of CGI could make it feasible to use unloaded prop guns on-set and add visual effects after the fact. Anything that requires an explosive charge to produce an effect is potentially dangerous when mishandled, even if it's a prop.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:30 pm

An armed society is a polite society.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:33 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:23 am
There are 115,000 gun deaths in the US every year. When one of them happens to involve a Hollywood celebrity, it becomes news.
There are less than 40,000 some years just over 30,000 and on average 60% are suicides.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic