Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

GM is still manufacturing shitboxes (is anyone surprised?)

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

GM is still manufacturing shitboxes (is anyone surprised?)

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:16 pm

The horror stories keep mounting for the Chevy Bolt.

GM has enough trouble manufacturing fossil fueled automobiles properly despite being in *that* business for 110 years.

I'm not sure why anyone would trust them to design and manufacture an electric vehicle competently!

From the Detroit Free Press:
https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ ... 501217001/

Key passages:
In November, GM issued the first recall on all the 68,000 2017-19 model year Bolts because the vehicles potentially posed a fire risk.

GM said at the time the batteries in five vehicles caught fire, and injured two people with smoke inhalation. According to GM's initial investigation, the five Bolts all had the high-voltage batteries made by LG Chem’s Ochang, South Korea, facility.

Another commonality among the five vehicles was they were at full charge or right below that when they caught fire. GM warned owners of those vehicles that until dealers can make a software fix, the owners should reset their batteries to a maximum of 90% charge to lessen the risk of the car catching fire. If they cannot do that, GM advised owners to keep their parked cars away from their garage or carport.

By April, GM engineers said they'd figured out how to fix the battery problem. They developed diagnostic software to look for anomalies in the batteries. If problems are found, the company will replace faulty parts of the battery. The software was available to the Bolt owners by the end of May.

But since that first recall, there have been two more Bolt fires. Earlier this month, GM again warned owners of the same Bolt EVs not to park the vehicles in the garage.
So, GM's clueless engineers thought they fixed the problem - except their supposed fix was a flop!

For the record, there's no way in hell I'd purchase a Ford Mustang Mach-E, either. The obnoxiously big, tablet-style touch screen alone is enough reason to avoid that vehicle. It's almost like sitting in front of a big computer monitor while driving. Who the hell would want that?

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Re: GM is still manufacturing shitboxes (is anyone surprised?)

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:31 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:16 pm
The horror stories keep mounting for the Chevy Bolt.

GM has enough trouble manufacturing fossil fueled automobiles properly despite being in *that* business for 110 years.

I'm not sure why anyone would trust them to design and manufacture an electric vehicle competently!

From the Detroit Free Press:
https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ ... 501217001/

Key passages:
In November, GM issued the first recall on all the 68,000 2017-19 model year Bolts because the vehicles potentially posed a fire risk.

GM said at the time the batteries in five vehicles caught fire, and injured two people with smoke inhalation. According to GM's initial investigation, the five Bolts all had the high-voltage batteries made by LG Chem’s Ochang, South Korea, facility.

Another commonality among the five vehicles was they were at full charge or right below that when they caught fire. GM warned owners of those vehicles that until dealers can make a software fix, the owners should reset their batteries to a maximum of 90% charge to lessen the risk of the car catching fire. If they cannot do that, GM advised owners to keep their parked cars away from their garage or carport.

By April, GM engineers said they'd figured out how to fix the battery problem. They developed diagnostic software to look for anomalies in the batteries. If problems are found, the company will replace faulty parts of the battery. The software was available to the Bolt owners by the end of May.

But since that first recall, there have been two more Bolt fires. Earlier this month, GM again warned owners of the same Bolt EVs not to park the vehicles in the garage.
So, GM's clueless engineers thought they fixed the problem - except their supposed fix was a flop!

For the record, there's no way in hell I'd purchase a Ford Mustang Mach-E, either. The obnoxiously big, tablet-style touch screen alone is enough reason to avoid that vehicle. It's almost like sitting in front of a big computer monitor while driving. Who the hell would want that?
Tesla has the same type of monitor for the record. I hate it.

As far as GM, they shouldn't have shit canned the Volt. Having worked in the department that handled GM suggestions and reviewed general mail for people in high places, lots of people were upset at the Volt leaving the market. The effort was done to cut costs, but they cut off their nose to spite their face. Also, kind of dumb to pick similar sounding names for both cars.

Another complaint with the Bolt was that the sun visors didn't go down far enough which caused difficulties for people getting blinded by the sun.

The larger problem is that so many of these dealerships have either one or zero techs to work on these vehicles. If your only EV tech is on vacation, you may be SOL.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:02 pm

I had a friend who leased a 2017 Volt and wanted to buy a Tesla, so I bought him out when his lease expired. I just love my Volt. Perfect for me...50+ on electric and then it kicks to gas. I can plug it right into the wall, I don't need a 240 connection or anything. Drives and handles great, I think it's a real sharp looking car.

My buddy's asked if I wanna sell it back to him for what I paid and I told him to pound sand. :lol:

The censorship king from out of state.

Realist

Post by Realist » Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:52 pm

Mark, I thought you had owned or leased GM products. What happened?

For the record, my dad retired from GM after 43.5 actual years working. I own 3 GM vehicles - 12 Chevy Camaro convertible (our summer car), 14 GMC Sierra and 17 Chevy Impala Premier, which is literally the best car we’ve ever owned (roomy, comfortable, lots of trunk space and great for traveling)

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:25 pm

Yes, I've owned or leased a number of GM and Ford products. I'm not a fan of either manufacturer at the moment.

My GM vehicles were all relatively reliable, but I didn't put much mileage on any of them. The one I kept the longest was a 2006 GMC Envoy. Had that one for five and a half years. Was getting sick of excessive wind noise and mediocre handling in cross-winds. Around 42,000 miles (into my fourth year of ownership), the fuel gauge stopped working (I had it replaced, and more than a year after the work was performed, GM finally sent me a check refunding one-half the cost). At some unknown point, one of the tail lights also stopped working.

Since then, it's been a parade of Ford vehicle leases. My two Explorers were good cars, although the second one had a sound system that wasn't quite as good as the first one, and its ride also wasn't quite as cushy as the first one (both were FWD vehicles).

My first Ford Edge was a very dependable car, but performing infotainment firmware updates to enable Android Auto connectively was more difficult than it needed to be. Ford kept postponing the rollout for 2016 model year vehicles, which annoyed me greatly. Actually found a leaked "beta" copy of the software that worked fine; the official release didn't occur until six months later. Ride quality was great so long as you weren't turning a corner (body roll was *very* noticeable). The heat was piping hot, and the A/C was freezing cold...two strong suits for sure!

That lease ran out in 2019. I had no interest extending that lease or purchasing that car. I hated the body roll when cornering. The options I considered at the time were the Subaru Outback, the Honda Passport, the Kia Telluride and the Edge ST. I didn't want a Blazer because (a) it was the inaugural year for that newly launched vehicle, (b) it's built in Mexico and (c) the 2019 model lacked auto stop-start deactivation. I hate auto stop-start!

I didn't want an Equinox because those things are just fugly and the prior body style (which I like a bit better) was known for reliability issues. The GMC Terrain has far more palatable looks but a reputation for somewhat cheap interior materials, and I also could tell just from looking at the vehicle that blind spots would be an issue.

Wasn't a fan of the Outback's CVT and driving position. Range of functionality for steering wheel adjustment was too limited. My frigging legs were brushing the bottom of the wheel. The Passport, like the Blazer, was a new launch, although that risk was mitigated by the fact the Passport shared much of the same architecture as the Pilot. The interior of the Passport was just too "blah" for my liking. The proportions of that vehicle also screamed "body roll" to me. Whether or not that issue is actually common, I do not know.

Kia Telluride - great first impression, but again, it was a new launch (no reliability track record). Also, the car felt big and somewhat unwieldly when driving; it was too big for my needs.

I thought about the redesigned Toyota RAV4, but the lack of Android Auto in 2019 coupled with derogatory reviews regarding engine potency and noise turned me off.

Hyundai Santa Fe? Wasn't a fan of the exterior look and some earlier model years had recalls due to some significant issues (fire risk, for example). Similar comments apply to the Kia Sorrento at the time.

The one car I am *kicking* myself for not considering more seriously is the Mazda CX-5. That might very well be my next car.

I would've loved to have given the Acura RDX some consideration, but their horrible execution of the Infotainment system was a non-starter for me.

I ultimately went with an Edge ST lease, only because Ford was offering a butt load of incentives at the time. They were also offering a butt load of incentives for outright purchase, but I wasn't going to plop down mid to upper $30's for a car that likely would depreciate quickly given its power train (the sticker was laughably high - just shy of $50k; the big stack of incentives brought that number down to ~$39K right off the bat for purchase).

The dual-clutch transmission on the Edge ST is hurky-jerky in lower gears unless you hit the gas hard, there is noticeable turbo lag, and the OEM Hankook tires are not wearing too well. On the positive side, the engine does have a LOT of power, and handling is far more nimble than my prior Edge. On the annoying side, the A/C sucks compared to my prior three Ford vehicles (it is merely adequate in this vehicle), and the ventilated seats features works nowhere nearly as well as the heated seats feature (which works incredibly well).

When I was test driving my current car, we were experiencing record cold for June (afternoon temps in the 50s with rain), so I really couldn't put the A/C to the test.

I might have to put my infotainment grievances aside when shopping for my next car in late 2022. I hate the trend of deleting knobs and buttons in favor of integrating more functions into the touch screen. Lexus is committing that sin with its newly redesigned NX350, which is a crying shame, but that otherwise would be a very good car.

Realist

Post by Realist » Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:22 pm

I rented a Explorer a few years back while on vacation in Florida. Biggest complaint I had is it’s just a little too small for me (I’m 6’3” and 1/2 legs) and I couldn’t stretch my legs completely out. Just also a tad narrow.

GM has fixed the auto stop-start. Used to be that the engine would re-start when you put your foot on the gas pedal which caused about a 1/2 second hesitation. My dad’s 2021 Sierra now has it set up where when you take your foot off the brake, it restarts. Big noticeable difference and gladly appreciated. IDK if it can be shut off, tho.

Considered a Chevy Traverse? I have a female friend that bought one a few years back and can’t stop raving about it. She puts a lot of miles on her vehicles and she’s said it’s the best vehicle she’s ever owned. I’ve sat in one and the legroom and space inside it is amazing

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:17 pm

2018 Kia Rio bought new
2017 Kia Soul bought certified pre-owned

No complaint at all so far but we keep cars a long time so time will tell.
Those replaced a 2002 Accord bought new and 2001 Saturn SR3 bought used.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:32 pm

I've been a Chrysler guy most of my life. Still am. But my last three vehicles have been Chevy Equinox. They were built in a nearby town here I have neighbours who work in the plant.

The Equinox is an unexciting, boring vehicle, but they've been reliable. They've never given me any trouble.

With my late father, Chrysler was like a religion. He'd be turning in his grave if he knew I was driving GM crap.

The 2020 Equinox I'm driving now will probably be my last. GM is pulling production of the Equinox out of the Ontario plant and moving it to Mexico.

I only buy vehicles that are Union built in North America.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Realist

Post by Realist » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:46 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:32 pm
I've been a Chrysler guy most of my life. Still am. But my last three vehicles have been Chevy Equinox. They were built in a nearby town here I have neighbours who work in the plant.

The Equinox is an unexciting, boring vehicle, but they've been reliable. They've never given me any trouble.

With my late father, Chrysler was like a religion. He'd be turning in his grave if he knew I was driving GM crap.

The 2020 Equinox I'm driving now will probably be my last. GM is pulling production of the Equinox out of the Ontario plant and moving it to Mexico.

I only buy vehicles that are Union built in North America.
+1 on Union built, North American made cars

We’ve had 3 Chrysler products at work -

a Chrysler 200 that was an uncomfortable piece of junk. It was also pulled from our fleet before it hit 100K miles (when we usually replace vehicles) only because of major repair problems that made it not worth fixing.

Currently have a Dodge Grand Caravan that I find way too small when I’m forced to drive it. I also hate their set up on their radio

We had a 2020 Chrysler Pacifica minivan that I never had a chance to drive before it got totaled 3 months after we got it. Seemed to be a better set up than the Dodge Caravan

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:58 pm

My next vehicle might be a Dodge Caravan. They're built in Windsor ON. I don't require a lot of space in the cockpit. I'm 5' 6" and 145 lb.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:05 pm

Considered a Chevy Traverse? I have a female friend that bought one a few years back and can’t stop raving about it. She puts a lot of miles on her vehicles and she’s said it’s the best vehicle she’s ever owned. I’ve sat in one and the legroom and space inside it is amazing
That thing wouldn't fit in my garage! :) I literally would have no room for storage in front of the car.

Among Chevy's vehicles, it receives some of the better professional & consumer reviews I've read.

If I had kids or needed something with ample towing capacity, it would be on my list to consider. I thought the Telluride was too big for my needs; the Traverse is even larger.

Sweet spot for body length for me is 180" to 195". I'd prefer something on the lower half of that scale but I won't rule out vehicles like the Toyota Highlander, for example.

I am willing to consider hybrids with regenerative braking for my next car. I don't want a plug-in. Good gas mileage is not a big priority, but cars that average less than 19 or 20 miles per gallon in city driving will be a no-go for me.

Some co-workers & I had a Chrysler minivan as a rental five or six years back. I cannot recall if it was a Grand Caravan or Town & Country. I'm thinking it was the former. The second row captains chairs were incredibly comfortable, it had a very pliant ride, and it wasn't bad to drive either (I drove it for about the final 90 minutes of our return trip). Respectable acceleration for a van, and transmission was smooth.

zzand

Post by zzand » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:58 am

Turkeytop, I drive a Charger built in Brampton and read up on Unifor before buying it and was very impressed. I recently read where they are going to turn all the vehicles built there into electrics and move the plant building them to the states. Unifor will fight for them to stay in Brampton or build something else there right? It is obvious to me they take pride in what they build since the fit, finish and everything else is great on my car.

Metelhead it seems Kia can do something Ford can't, launch a vehicle properly. There have been few issues with the Telluride since launch and I know a couple of people who own them and they rave about them.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:48 am

zzand wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:58 am
Turkeytop, I drive a Charger built in Brampton and read up on Unifor before buying it and was very impressed. I recently read where they are going to turn all the vehicles built there into electrics and move the plant building them to the states. Unifor will fight for them to stay in Brampton or build something else there right? It is obvious to me they take pride in what they build since the fit, finish and everything else is great on my car.

Metelhead it seems Kia can do something Ford can't, launch a vehicle properly. There have been few issues with the Telluride since launch and I know a couple of people who own them and they rave about them.
I envy you, my friend. I've had two Chargers and they were the nicest cars I ever had.

zzand

Post by zzand » Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:53 pm

I agree. I sat with the dealer and ordered mine the exact way I wanted it. Nicest car I have ever owned and plan to drive the wheels off it.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:07 pm

zzand wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:53 pm
I agree. I sat with the dealer and ordered mine the exact way I wanted it. Nicest car I have ever owned and plan to drive the wheels off it.

The only reason I don't have one now is that my wife has a bit of arthritis and a bad back. She has trouble getting in and out of a car that low.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic